2016 Blue White Game | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2016 Blue White Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Johnson looks much quicker. Jason Thompson had some great cuts. Mayala - did not look like he progressed from last year and Beals wearing the red jersey took any evaluation out the window. The O Line was better in the fact that no one got killed in the backfield. It was also difficult to evaluate since the 1st team o line was going against the 2 nd and 3 rd team d line. Then players switched from white to blue and combos changed.

Garret A tried to do too much early and settled down after the 2 picks. Battle was a big target and seems to have surpassed McLean as of now. Williams looks good at the TE position. Nothing to tell about punt returns, etc. Newsome, Shirreffs and Thomas did not play alot.

The Oline looks like Peart, Hopkins, Crozier, Levy and Knappe at this point.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm totally excited about next year, but is anyone else drooling at how good we should be in 2017?!?!? As long as HCBD and crew are still around and we keep going with the continuity we've got, we're going to have a roster absolutely filled with seniors with tons of experience as starters. can't wait.

Reaction Score
I'm totally excited about next year, but is anyone else drooling at how good we should be in 2017?!?!? As long as HCBD and crew are still around and we keep going with the continuity we've got, we're going to have a roster absolutely filled with seniors with tons of experience as starters. can't wait.
SO why even show up and pretend to cheer for this years team then?

Reaction Score

So what might our 2017 starting 22 look like? :D.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So what might our 2017 starting 22 look like? :D.

Well, you'd have Shirreffs, Newsome and Johnson, Myers, Jay Rose, Peart, Crozier, Beals and the rest of the young WRs and on D we'd have Summers and Tre Bell at corners, Fatukasi, Ormsby, Junior Joseph, Levenberry, Carrezola and Stapleton. We'll have tons of depth, not even considering all of the young guys coming up and how they'll develop

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Is that even a question? Pretty sure there's nothing wrong with thinking that this year's team will be good and better than last years while next year's team could be something really special. Just looking at our future and getting excited...

Reaction Score
I don't know if he can move up in the qb ranks , but I liked the way Brandon Bisack was throwing. He hit tight spaces and when he missed the passes were close to the receiver but away from the defender.

Tough to evaluate in a scrimmage but I think he is someone to watch.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don't know if he can move up in the qb ranks , but I liked the way Brandon Bisack was throwing. He hit tight spaces and when he missed the passes were close to the receiver but away from the defender.

Tough to evaluate in a scrimmage but I think he is someone to watch.

I was thinking about that in the car. If push came to shove and somehow Shirreffs and Anderson were out, I wondered if Diaco would play Davis or if he'd play Bissack. Bissack definitely had a better day than Davis today. I'm obviously not at practice every day and it's not fair to evaluate guys on one day of play, but maybe he has a shot at becoming the #3 guy?

Reaction Score

The same reason there's a 2018 recruiting thread on the recruiting board.

Also the same reason we talk about teams of the past.

Lighten up.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Strictly off the tweets and BYers feedback, my biggest takeaway is the OLine must have been good.

Why do I say that? Well, QB's were completing a high percentage of their passes. Which means they had time to drop back, make reads and step in to the passing lane. Second reason? RJ ran downhill. He's supposed to be a downhill runner. Last year he constantly had to try and bounce it outside, usually with bad results. Even if he is a step quicker, the line had to make holes quickly for him to hit them and get moving. He's not exactly a zone read type of runner.
Just to point out, though, the runs he made were to the outside... the TEs made some good holes whether making a corner or seam to get him there. The rest was his speed hitting the outside and making the most of their work. I was keeping an eye out for Meyers to see how he looked, and he contributed on a few, including the 60 yard run.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Just to point out, though, the runs he made were to the outside... the TEs made some good holes whether making a corner or seam to get him there. The rest was his speed hitting the outside and making the most of their work. I was keeping an eye out for Meyers to see how he looked, and he contributed on a few, including the 60 yard run.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't necessarily mind Johnson getting runs to the outside. But if he's getting those touches the plays have to be designed to run downhill. Last year it seemed like half of his runs were slow developing plays where the defense could just stretch him out. I like runs where Johnson gets turned up the field quickly. For an outside run that usually means the Tackle and TE have to seal quickly. Johnson isn't a cutback or zone read runner.

Truth be told, Johnson would be good with some quick counters if the line sets it up. I like the idea of a full steam ahead RJ running against a defense whose momentum is going the other direction.

Reaction Score
I thought Tyler Davis did a much better job throwing to the middle of the field than outside the hash marks. He doesn't seem to follow thru on his throws or something, he short-arms them and the ball hangs a little giving CBs time to make a play on the ball. They were accurate throws in general though. #7 GA threw downfield with good accuracy, just didn't always make the best decisions haha. Bisack and Richelle completed some quick-outs and underneaths and look competent enough to challenge Davis for the #3 spot. QBs in general seemed to have more time in the pocket which is a good sign.

Overall enjoyable time. Still not sure why The Rent won't let you bring in a sealed water bottle, as larger venues allow you to. In general the staff there seems far less polite/helpful/accomodating than any other local stadium staff I can think of - Yankee stadium / Pawsox / CT Tigers / XL Center. And yeah the postgame on field session was waaaaaaay too short.
My kids enjoyed the tailgate, the pre-game Husky Walk and postgame autograph session. They asked on the drive home if we could go again next year haha. Always knew Thor had tats, but never could make out what they were ...

Thor_kids_small.jpg
Thor_tats_small.jpg

Looking forward to a fun 2016 season!

Reaction Score
Unable to attend or listen very long, but appears we can approach the season with a reserved approach to expectations.

The #1's on offense playing against #2's on defense doesn't may give a false impression as to how good the offense will be. After all, our offense will not be facing #'2 defenses from opposition in real games.

Similarly, don't place too much worry on performance of #2 &#3 O's against #1 D's.

best thing that can be said is it appears the coaches are gradually building a depth of players that can maintain continuity season to season in a positive aspect. Could possibly be best program building ever in the programs history. Small steps is fine with me if the steps are always going forward.

Reaction Score
Spring game was a great way to spend a sunny Saturday. Post-game meet and greet is always a favorite. Impressed with the players' kindness and appreciation. Zordan Holman thanked us for asking for his autograph and being at the game. Bryan Cespedes, all six foot one hundred of him, knelt down to see kids face to face. Jason Thompson talked to my nephew about Shelton sports.

My favorite moment was when a happy little boy ran past me saying "I just got Tom Brady's autograph!" Brandon Bisack made this kid's day. Just a little more work on player recognition and this kid will be a fan for life!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Unable to attend or listen very long, but appears we can approach the season with a reserved approach to expectations.

The #1's on offense playing against #2's on defense may give a false impression as to how good the offense will be. After all, our offense will not be facing #'2 defenses from opposition in real games.

Similarly, don't place too much worry on performance of #2 &#3 O's against #1 D's.

best thing that can be said is it appears the coaches are gradually building a depth of players that can maintain continuity season to season in a positive aspect. Could possibly be best program building ever in the programs history. Small steps is fine with me if the steps are always going forward.

I disagree. 1s dominating the 2s is exactly what you want to see. In past years the Defense was dominant regardless of depth chart. This year the #1 offense moved the ball pretty much at will. Sherriffs being 9/12 for 95 yards while getting over an illness is very encouraging.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ha, must have walked right by you...
To all boneyarders, if anyone sees a tailgate setup with eight flags (I believe I'm the only one who reaches this level of overkill) feel free to stop by, sell hello, grab a beer or two.

For the record, the three UConn flags and the US Flag will always fly. I only fly the Bears flag when my buddy (who is a huge Bears fan) is with us and when that flies, I have to give the Giants equal time. If my son is along (which is less and less often these days) I also fly a Dolphin flag (for some reason that it his team). Italy, Yankees, Rangers also fly quite often.

We obviously were not in mid-season tailgating form yesterday as we had to toss a ton of food (and we had a few very large midsections in our group) when I was worried we may not have had enough when I was packing up the SUV in the morning.

C

Chief00

I saw Junior Joseph at the game - he said he had worked out with Giants and will tryout with Green Bay next week. He was wearing a Giants hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom