2016 Blue White Game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2016 Blue White Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Anyone talk to conference realignment insiders?

Perhaps the most important question we should have all asked. We need an update from last year's update. On a related note, anyone get their car washed yesterday either going to or coming home from the game? That kind of CR mojo only comes once a year.

Reaction Score
I saw Junior Joseph at the game - he said he had worked out with Giants and will tryout with Green Bay next week. He was wearing a Giants hat.

Junior Lee was also at the game. Wearing white in BugsyCT's picture above, on the far left w/the NYG hat on backwards. He also autographed my oldest son's poster which was neat. Very nice guy, easy to talk to, eager to talk to fans. My son loved it!

Reaction Score
Unable to attend or listen very long, but appears we can approach the season with a reserved approach to expectations.

The #1's on offense playing against #2's on defense doesn't may give a false impression as to how good the offense will be. After all, our offense will not be facing #'2 defenses from opposition in real games.

Similarly, don't place too much worry on performance of #2 &#3 O's against #1 D's.

best thing that can be said is it appears the coaches are gradually building a depth of players that can maintain continuity season to season in a positive aspect. Could possibly be best program building ever in the programs history. Small steps is fine with me if the steps are always going forward.

What gives me hope is this. In past years our offense couldn't do much in the spring game if the played vs 11 boneyarders.

I saw plenty of first string defense sprinkled in vs the 1st string offense and we had some nice drives and a few big plays.

It's obvious we will see an offense that uses the running game and the TE's to try and tighten up the defense to then go deep at some point in the game. Our TE's look good and their is plenty of depth to have 2 TE's in on most plays to either block or catch passes. Will be tough for defenses to cover two capable TE's and keep track of Thomas who should get plenty of man coverage because of the TE's.

I get the "proceed with caution" approach some people might have but enough improvement was seen from the OL, RB's and TE's to expect a higher scoring offense.

C

Chief00

Junior Lee was also at the game. Wearing white in BugsyCT's picture above, on the far left w/the NYG hat on backwards. He also autographed my oldest son's poster which was neat. Very nice guy, easy to talk to, eager to talk to fans. My son loved it!
Yeah that's the Junior I meant - also mentioned the Colts I believe

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The players were all incredibly nice to the kids. Might not win the national championship this season - but they did a great job in the session and are easy to root for.

The players even ended the security nonsense that was put in place. The yellowjackets yelled at kids who crossed the white line for the first 10-12 minutes.

Reaction Score
Can't really tell much but highlights for me:

We saw competent football. The 1's took it to the 2's. Far cry from the spring game disasters of the P era.

I got roasted. Had enough common sense to move to the press box side after the first drive but too little too late. Roasted. Combine that with the beer consumed I was out before prime time TV started.

Why was security not letting kids cross the goal line in the autograph session? I told my son to ignore the noob in yellow and just go get autographs. Another 10 minutes would've been nice.

Reaction Score
Its only a scrimmage but it does wet our appetites and give us more hope going into next season. We have seen the past few years an offensive that could not function against our second string defense. Baby steps but slowly we seeing improvements the past two seasons.
I was disappointed that Diaco did not give Davis a chance to work with our first string offense. I think it was difficult to compare Anderson's work against Davis's work when Anderson had more time to set up read and throw. Tyler Davis on the other hand had Cameron Stapleton in his face during half of his throws.
Nevertheless it was a great day to watch a spring football game, with Ron Johnson, Billy Williams, Mr. Bell, Javon Hadley and Cameron Stapleton all looking pretty good from where I sat.
GO BLUE!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Here is a pic of my son's autographed example of the post-game posters they handed out on the field. The only one in blue pen (on the last "N" in "UCONN") is Junior Lee. The rest of the players were each given a silver permanent pen/markers.

poster_small.jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Here is a pic of my son's autographed example of the post-game posters they handed out on the field. The only one in blue pen (on the last "N" in "UCONN") is Junior Lee. The rest of the players were each given a silver permanent pen/markers.

View attachment 13289

I couldn't make the game yesterday because of a business trip that ran long.

Ask 8mushjr if he'd be interested in selling his poster :)

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Anyone cat

Saw this at halftime - a bunch of former players were there to pose next to Jazz's memorial. Dre still has the dreds.

04-16-UConn-Spring-game03_zpss4oapkhd.jpg

I did not realize so many alum were in the house this weekend! I'm really glad Diaco has re-engaged so many former players, and hope they continue to be a part of the program-building going forward.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We saw competent football. The 1's took it to the 2's. Far cry from the spring game disasters of the P era.

Oh you mean when he openly showed distain for the Programs' fans by practicing goal line plays from his OWN 2 yard line? Because that exactly what fans want to see. McCombs making room for the punter by running 3 straight times up the middle.

Reaction Score
I did not realize so many alum were in the house this weekend! I'm really glad Diaco has re-engaged so many former players, and hope they continue to be a part of the program-building going forward.

Actually, my wife invited them all. We are still stuck in Yankee Conference thinking when it comes to these things. I'll tell you this, those guys are eager to come back and contribute!

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
To all boneyarders, if anyone sees a tailgate setup with eight flags (I believe I'm the only one who reaches this level of overkill) feel free to stop by, sell hello, grab a beer or two.

For the record, the three UConn flags and the US Flag will always fly. I only fly the Bears flag when my buddy (who is a huge Bears fan) is with us and when that flies, I have to give the Giants equal time. If my son is along (which is less and less often these days) I also fly a Dolphin flag (for some reason that it his team). Italy, Yankees, Rangers also fly quite often.

We obviously were not in mid-season tailgating form yesterday as we had to toss a ton of food (and we had a few very large midsections in our group) when I was worried we may not have had enough when I was packing up the SUV in the morning.

That was you???

I should have stopped by and inquired, knowing that only a fellow Boneyarder would have that much mojo. I kept saying to my kids, "UConn and Italian...just like us!!!" ;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That was you???

I should have stopped by and inquired, knowing that only a fellow Boneyarder would have that much mojo. I kept saying to my kids, "UConn and Italian...just like us!!!" ;)
As everyone now knows I'm not very hard to find, We're always in one of the blue lots, usually very close to where we were Saturday. Any Boneyarder (any non-Boneyarder as well) is always welcome. We never have a shortage of beer or food and I would be more than happy to meet with any of you.

Reaction Score
@tiger8mush, I questioned the open water bottle policy a couple of years back. Was told they had an event where bottles were thrown around onto the field or in the stands I do not know. The point being a open water bottle becomes much less of a weapon than one with the cap. Once again in society a couple of bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
@tiger8mush, I questioned the open water bottle policy a couple of years back. Was told they had an event where bottles were thrown around onto the field or in the stands I do not know. The point being a open water bottle becomes much less of a weapon than one with the cap. Once again in society a couple of bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

It's about selling expensive water. It has nothing to do with anything but that.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Actually, my wife invited them all. We are still stuck in Yankee Conference thinking when it comes to these things. I'll tell you this, those guys are eager to come back and contribute!

Bernie Fine, is that you?

Reaction Score
We tried to bring in sealed plastic water bottles. They sell Dasani water bottles in the stadium, so any safety concerns are blasphemous. Like whaler said, its all about $$$

Reaction Score
It's about selling expensive water. It has nothing to do with anything but that.

I think he's referring to the policy where they sell you bottled water inside but remove the cap. Last year I took out a loan and bought 6 waters at Gampel and they gave them to me uncapped. I asked them why they took the caps off and they gave me the same security rigamarole. The site of me carrying 6 open bottles of water through the concourse was quite the show.

Reaction Score
I think he's referring to the policy where they sell you bottled water inside but remove the cap. Last year I took out a loan and bought 6 waters at Gampel and they gave them to me uncapped. I asked them why they took the caps off and they gave me the same security rigamarole. The site of me carrying 6 open bottles of water through the concourse was quite the show.
We should therefore be allowed to each bring a single bottle of sealed water in to the stadium, and the security staff uncaps it as we enter.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
A friend and her husband will attend with me... And he brings his own caps.

Turns around... Caps em... Heads to his seat.

Priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99