2016 Blue White Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2016 Blue White Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought Ron Johnson looked good, much better than I remembered. Anderson was dreadful in his first couple of series with the Blue team in the first half, better in the others. Williams (#43) looked massive out there, Mayala had a few big drops. Overall, hard to take a ton away from the game, because as it was mentioned it was very low-key and as you'd expect in a scrimmage, the whistle was very quick.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you realized that during the game you should have introduced yourself.
If after due to picture - next time!

I find you knowledgable, fairly sane and humorous at times with a straight approach- I am more bark than bite for sure -it would have been nice meet.

I was going off the picture. Had I seen you of course I would have told you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NeillOstrout 4:39pm via TweetDeck
Anderson showing signs of life after two poor first-half INT.

Not to pile on, but both were really brutal. Especially the 2nd one.

And I'd like to give a nod to Jason Thompson. I just noticed he didn't have great numbers, but he made a couple of moves that made me say "whoa".

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And I'd like to give a nod to Jason Thompson. I just noticed he didn't have great numbers, but he made a couple of moves that made me say "whoa".

Any chance you think he beats out Hopkins or Vickers for #3 on the depth chart?

Reaction Score
The play of Williams at tight end reminded me of the impact Will Tye had with the Giants last year. We just need someone who can get the ball to him. All our tight ends were open (not to mention what big targets they are) and will have chances to be big contributors this year. There were a couple of drops by wideouts on deep passes inside the 10 yard line. These are the type of plays that can change a game and we need to make them. We have a much deeper O-line and they have game experience which is huge. Vechery, Rutherford, Hashemi. Tough start for Anderson but he settled in.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
For my money, Javon Hadley was the MVP of the game. Looked much more confident playing the ball and being aggressive. Actually, on the flip side, I am excited to see Frank Battle progress. That kid has some serious size and could develop into a nice red zone threat. The two Miami kids were going 1-on-1 for most of the later afternoon and it was fun to watch. Very animated sideline too.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As for QB, we need to wrap Shirreffs in bubble wrap and hope he doesn't get injured. I hope another year in the offense will mean seeing him get down and not take on so many defenders for an extra inch. I LOVE that attitude from RBs/WRs/TEs but not from QBs. Especially with a thin QB depth chart like the one we seemingly have.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller: Continuity raises comfort level for UConn football team

>>If there has been a constant within the UConn football program in recent history is has been the constant offensive upheaval. The last time the Huskies headed into a season with the same head coach, offensive coordinator and starting quarterback in back-to-back seasons came in 2010.

There’s no telling if the 2016 season is going to be as successful as that magical 2010 campaign, but the familiarity factor could pay dividends down the road.

“It is unbelievable how much more comfortable everybody is. In the huddle with the first team, there was no nervousness, we knew what we were going to do,” said Shirreffs, who was 9 of 12 passing for 95 yards and ran three times for 38 yards in three series in the Blue team’s 28-3 win. “We were talking in the huddle like we are having a good time knowing what we need to do.”<<

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Hey, Des tweeted my tailgate!

Those flags (3 UConn, US flag, Italian, Bears, Giants & Yankees) are mine (I have a few others that didn't make today's rotation).
Ha, must have walked right by you...

Reaction Score
Bonehead was sitting right near me.

I wouldn't try to take too much from the actual game. It was pretty low key and they played a lot of guys from deep down the roster.

FWIW - I don't see how Anderson would be the #2.

Davis hasn't done a thing to prove he can be a reliable #2 and there's no one else unless you count Bisack and Rishell. Doesn't throw a pretty ball, doesn't have sound mechanics and in his 2 Spring games made pretty poor decisions.

Reaction Score
Parker and Murphy had a productive scrimmage and Levenberry had a pretty big hit on Tahj-Anthony Wilson along the sidelines. Wilson broke out of a John Robinson IV attempted tackle on that play and I would think he needs to beef up a little bit and fill out his frame.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Strictly off the tweets and BYers feedback, my biggest takeaway is the OLine must have been good.

Why do I say that? Well, QB's were completing a high percentage of their passes. Which means they had time to drop back, make reads and step in to the passing lane. Second reason? RJ ran downhill. He's supposed to be a downhill runner. Last year he constantly had to try and bounce it outside, usually with bad results. Even if he is a step quicker, the line had to make holes quickly for him to hit them and get moving. He's not exactly a zone read type of runner.

For the past 5-6 years every Spring Game report was QB's running for their lives and DLinemen living in the backfield. And the talent on D, while consistently being good, never equaled in fall games what they did against the Offense in the spring game. Not today.

Secondly, it looks like the QB's have shaken themselves in to a clear pecking order: The Sheriff, Anderson and Davis. Also, it gives Davis film to see how his performance differentiated from the first two and what he needs to get better at doing.

Also, unless I missed something, no major injuries.

Hope all the fans enjoyed the game. Looks like the weather was boss.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Question: What is the best part of this picture?

upload_2016-4-16_20-8-4.png

Answer: A WR (Mayala) who has caught the ball and Peart, Levy and Hopkins on their feet running down the field.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Strictly off the tweets and BYers feedback, my biggest takeaway is the OLine must have been good.

Why do I say that? Well, QB's were completing a high percentage of their passes. Which means they had time to drop back, make reads and step in to the passing lane. Second reason? RJ ran downhill. He's supposed to be a downhill runner. Last year he constantly had to try and bounce it outside, usually with bad results. Even if he is a step quicker, the line had to make holes quickly for him to hit them and get moving. He's not exactly a zone read type of runner.

For the past 5-6 years every Spring Game report was QB's running for their lives and DLinemen living in the backfield. And the talent on D, while consistently being good, never equaled in fall games what they did against the Offense in the spring game. Not today.

Secondly, it looks like the QB's have shaken themselves in to a clear pecking order: The Sheriff, Anderson and Davis. Also, it gives Davis film to see how his performance differentiated from the first two and what he needs to get better at doing.

Also, unless I missed something, no major injuries.

Hope all the fans enjoyed the game. Looks like the weather was boss.

Let's just say this--when Shirreffs ran, it wasn't because there were multiple 300 pound beasts coming after him, it was because he'd made all his checks, steped into the pocket and then decided to tuck and run. O line was beautiful today. Pass protection was like night and day from last year.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Was impressed with RonJon today. Hoping he plays a larger part in the offense this year.

Would be huge. Running Arkeel between the tackles on short yardage situations last season was not ideal. Sometimes he can do surprising things on the inside when he gets lost behind the line, but I'd definitely prefer to have RJ doing the bruising.

Reaction Score
Would be huge. Running Arkeel between the tackles on short yardage situations last season was not ideal. Sometimes he can do surprising things on the inside when he gets lost behind the line, but I'd definitely prefer to have RJ doing the bruising.

I think RJ showed today that he can go outside as well as inside. Caught the ball well also. Should be enough to keep Arkeel on his toes.

Reaction Score
Davis did make some nice on the money throws, being a RSFrosh is a good thing. RJ made his big runs to the outside and the blocking was better giving these plays a chance to succeed. He is quicker too.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Nice job ruining the end of game thing on the field. Get a nice crowd and then shoot yourself in the foot.
I was stunned at the ineptitude shown. Diaco instituted the 20 minute rule and it is too short. Noel Thomas could have had his own line and been there for another 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom