2013 Recruiting Thread | Page 33 | The Boneyard

2013 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
According to ‘247’ UConn has offered Darnell Phillips, a 6’2” 240lbs TE, from Abraham Lincoln HS in Brooklyn NY…. (Rutgers has also offered). That’s all I know…. Can’t find any film yet…

He also plays DE. Interviewed here:

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
never heard of him but i checked 247 then google. he used to be a rb but converted as he grew/gained weight. good find and i love footprint kids who have other offers. 1 thing u can't knock the sataff on is nyc/ne kids we are landing compared to the past.

hope we land him as i love beating out rutgers for kids.

Reaction Score
Ebenezer Ogundeko (@Ebenezer_O_1)
12/9/12, 9:29 PM
Announcing at the UA game.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ebenezer Ogundeko (@Ebenezer_O_1)
12/9/12, 9:29 PM
Announcing at the UA game.

on tuesday he will say something to change that and then on wednesday confrim with the post that the ua game is where it will be....

Reaction Score
on tuesday he will say something to change that and then on wednesday confrim with the post that the ua game is where it will be....

Ha.. That's why I posted! Game-playing attention seekers.

Reaction Score
Brent Thibodeaux (@BrentThibodeaux)
12/7/12, 2:59 PM
Cerritos CC offensive tackle Sean Rubalcava received an offer from Western Kentucky. No visit scheduled at this point. #WKU #SunBelt

Still like our chances...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i hav't seen anything on laray smith yet this weekend. couple things to chew on
-seems like cuse leads but he didn;t commit atleast not yet. i'm pretty sure he was visiting them this weekend and they got some commits from there big weekend
-purdue has a coaching change
-tenn has a coaching change
-i dont hnk hes taking that indiana offer serious compared to others
-oregon has not offered fball wise and i doubt they will as we always thoughts
-he has track offers that are great but it seems he def wants to do both.

while the media hasn't been very pro uconn for him ina while, i wonder if we are in it still. we continue to do great things in nyc so i hold out slim hope here is guess for now. i still peg cuse as the favorite but it would be foolish to write him off 100% it seems right now.

Cerritos CC offensive tackle Sean Rubalcava received an offer from Western Kentucky. No visit scheduled at this point. #WKU #SunBelt

yea i like them also, but the question is how much impact can he have right away. i mean his offers and metrics are not impressive enough where i sit here and think must get and starting next year but then again our Ol is that bad...any improvement is welcomed in my eyes but i wish we had some bigger fish on tap OL wise from the juco route to help us next fall asap.

for a long time i expected big things form the ladt weekend and we stuck the joint up big time. out commits had a good time but all those visits were just confirmations of them coming and building realtionships wih each other and getting parents into dorms and burton. they were locks mostly. i don't feel we put a good impression out with open kids tho and that doesn't sit well with me. i stil have this class being 25 kids imho and that means we have 7 slos open if not more. i think we can land a few more solid players but i would hate for us to be in last years position of reaching to fill late. some names to watch:

whitehead-seems to absolutely love his maimi frtip to fiu or is it fau? who cares. but if would be a dagger if he picked them over us. hes not a highly ranked or touted kid an hes not a show stopper. but he would fit a major need and thats important as we need a KR post nick williams. he clearly fits that if u have read about him or seen tape.

hush-another dean kid, he has great rankings and offers and can be a impact kid asap on the DL. hes another 1 that fits a need and he is a attractive recruit is u will.

fuchs- not sure what happened here with him but we should be on our knees trying to ge thim to storrs. hes a attactive recruit metrics wise, offers and media wise. he has playmaker ability in is future and another footprint kid. add the bball angle and he should be some 1 we desperately get on board

if we can land 2 of these 3 then i would feel better. lets say we do. thats 20 of 25 slots. now lets visist the last 5 slots. we need 2 or more OL. we are hitting the juco trail hard and it would be fair to say i see one or 2 coming in the end as we will find them eventually. which 2 i have no clue

so that leaves 3 slots. hell i would be mad if all 3 were also OL kids but anyway
dunham-there has been almost no media on him which makes me think there is a grades or something else issue wise that makes him not relevent. i recently saw sites also downgrade him star wise. so no clue whats up. bottom line is h had a cincy and memphis offer so we atleast know he can play on our level.

stevens- i'm not sure if we see him as a lb or de and that could either be why we stopped recruiting him or why he doesn't want to commit(if he thinks lb and we think de he will see if he can play lb elsewhere). but the kid is a player and comes from a fball factory hs in his state. i would like to land him and at one time we were in good shape. now hes taking OV's to azst and gast which makes me think we may be not the favorite now or not in great standing. hope i wrong.

jeune- down to purdue and uconn was th latest update we had. kid is a great recruit from rnakings, offers and metrics standpoints and nj to boot. his hs has several kids in 2014 we are after and 1 we are in on for sure who will be a top player. he makes a ton of sense to land. we should be all over him.

we seem to be offered random kids for a 4th db slot. i think its Stop doing so. i once again will pump dave coggins. we have a great set of wr's on tap in this class and i understand how they are worth more than coggins recruiting wise. fine. but if we can look at summers and think db then we should also look at coggins this way. we have made good improvements with ct and foorptint kids this class. icing on the cake would be for this staff to wake the up and offer this kid, he bleeds blue more than our casual fans. i would take him 100 out of 100 times over a reach elsewhere. i am starting to get pissed about him not getting a offer considering how this class is shapping up. he is the perfect filler kid. not a crazy reach but not a stud. he fits the filler mold in many ways. if we dont land a fuchs or jeune then slide him into the extra wr slot this class and if we do then hes your 4th db. jesus christ get this kid on baord!

we seem to be after several tight ends still looking for 1 more. the vanderburg kid is a stud but just as we bet in the picture some big boys have. he may be a tough get to put it lightly. then we find out we offered the nyc kid recently. i say just get him on baord. he had a ruty offer so we know hes legit and hes foorptint. lets lock him up and be done at this position.

bottom line is this
18-whitehead
19-hush
20-tight end-phillips lets say
21-coggins
22-jeune
23-OL
24-OL
25-open for a OL, playmaker or suprise recruit late in the game(think gutz last year. maybe a laray type also)

this 18-25 above seems completely reasonable and would be a strong finish to the march to 25 recruits this class. it would top off our best class ever no doubt. if we can't acomplish this then its another strike on P imho as this should be doable.

edit- i know we have 18 commits right now, but it would be safe to asume that at some point 1 recruit we lose or doesn't qualify as it almos always happens so just roll with 18-25 for the purpose of the post.

Reaction Score
May be taking Coggins on as a walk-on vice burning a scholly since he does not seem to have any offers and already de-committed from BC (which Rivals doesn't even show an offer for him)

I know he was at the game against Cincy and was tweeting a lot of pro-UConn tweets along with chatting back and forth with Noel Thomas

Also, after watching the highlight video for both JD Krill and Vandenburg, I would rather have Krill, just looks like a playmaker and basically has no offers (I guess including us as well), but as we all know it can be a little weird with JUCO guys

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ousmane_ Camara@Ousmane_Supreme
Uconn stopped by today

-i like that^

May be taking Coggins on as a walk-on vice burning a scholly since he does not seem to have any offers and already de-committed from BC (which Rivals doesn't even show an offer for him)

I know he was at the game against Cincy and was tweeting a lot of pro-UConn tweets along with chatting back and forth with Noel Thomas

Also, after watching the highlight video for both JD Krill and Vandenburg, I would rather have Krill, just looks like a playmaker and basically has no offers (I guess including us as well), but as we all know it can be a little weird with JUCO guys

the kid for sure has smaller d1 offers like ccsu so i highly doubt he would walk on somewhere. if anything he would prep/juco a year to try to get bigger offers but based on his background life wise he would be foolish not to take a ship somewhere vs a walkon somewhere.

Jeff Greer@jeffgreer
#UConn and #Vandy paid visits to Seminole Ridge last week. #UConn very interested in RB/DB Silas Spearman.

-i just dont get the rb recruiting....

Reaction Score
HfD, they do have Marriner coming in and they have indicated Claxx will get a shot as big RB, so w/Lyle, JWilliams, Clax and DeL, they may want to address other positions and not burn 2 RS at RB. Besides, put a positive spin on it and say they are keeping the powder dry for 14, and the local talent we will be producing.

Reaction Score
Ousmane_ Camara@Ousmane_Supreme
Uconn stopped by today

-i like that^

the kid for sure has smaller d1 offers like ccsu so i highly doubt he would walk on somewhere. if anything he would prep/juco a year to try to get bigger offers but based on his background life wise he would be foolish not to take a ship somewhere vs a walkon somewhere.

Jeff Greer@jeffgreer
#UConn and #Vandy paid visits to Seminole Ridge last week. #UConn very interested in RB/DB Silas Spearman.

-i just dont get the rb recruiting....

Take off the "I hate everyone" glasses... you know that these kids play both ways and they can be clearly focused on the DB/KR/PR side as opposed to the RB side (although @ 5-10 a bit short)

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-...idge-community-high-school/silas-spearman-iii

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2012/10/seminole_ridge_rb_spearman_one.html

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
yup i hear both of u but we should be wasting a minute of time with this kid. hes prob a great player and will win the heisman one day, but we have only so many slots and needs right now. based on what i maped out above there is no reason to have to reach anywhere right now. hell u could offer coggins, osumane and shane nash at milford and get 3 commits on the spot at better positions of need.

i meanm lets be real. most here are a lot higher on marriner then i am. the kid is a cb at this level not a rb. hes a great hs rb but if he was that dam great he would have better offers. REACH at the position. i would welcome him as a db project. the rb recruiting is just fugly to be nice. a competent coach has laray smith on board in janurary last year and never looks back. lets him run track and all day. not to mention any other rb recruits.

-2 rbs
-1 or 2 qbs
-2 dbs
-2 or more ol
-2 or 3 dl
-1 or 2 lbs
-1 tight end
-1 wr

you dont have to leave the footprint for that at all. its really that simple next year its going to be scary how we it up.

Reaction Score
You know what Dan, you're right. You have all the answers for everything UConn and the rest of us have no clue.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
now that its finally admitted by media, what next can i preach?:D

Reaction Score
yup i hear both of u but we should be wasting a minute of time with this kid. hes prob a great player and will win the heisman one day, but we have only so many slots and needs right now. based on what i maped out above there is no reason to have to reach anywhere right now. hell u could offer coggins, osumane and shane nash at milford and get 3 commits on the spot at better positions of need.

i meanm lets be real. most here are a lot higher on marriner then i am. the kid is a cb at this level not a rb. hes a great hs rb but if he was that dam great he would have better offers. REACH at the position. i would welcome him as a db project. the rb recruiting is just fugly to be nice. a competent coach has laray smith on board in janurary last year and never looks back. lets him run track and **** all day. not to mention any other rb recruits.

-2 rbs
-1 or 2 qbs
-2 dbs
-2 or more ol
-2 or 3 dl
-1 or 2 lbs
-1 tight end
-1 wr

you dont have to leave the footprint for that at all. its really that simple next year its going to be scary how we **** it up.

HFD, RB is a spot that continually produces under recruited gems. For every Adrian Petersen there are 3 or 4 Chris Johnson(2 offers, Uconn and east carolina) or Ladanian tomlinson, brian west brook, etc.

Kid is fast, explosive, strong. That's the formula for damn good RBs. He actually reminds me a LOT of donald brown with his thick build, explosiveness, and vision.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Via Jim Fuller @ NHR

MikeDyer 1:58pm via Tweet Button
UConn offers Oak Hills QB Liam Sallquist a preferred walk-on spot #enqr cincinnati.com/blogs/recruiti… via @Cincienquirer

"UConn has offered Oak Hills senior quarterback Liam Sallquist a preferred walk-on opportunity, according to Oak Hills coach Dan Scholz.
Sallquist, who is 6 feet 4 and 220 pounds, threw for 634 yards and eight touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns this season, according to the GMC website."

Reaction Score
Via Jim Fuller @ NHR

MikeDyer 1:58pm via Tweet Button
UConn offers Oak Hills QB Liam Sallquist a preferred walk-on spot #enqr cincinnati.com/blogs/recruiti… via @Cincienquirer

"UConn has offered Oak Hills senior quarterback Liam Sallquist a preferred walk-on opportunity, according to Oak Hills coach Dan Scholz.
Sallquist, who is 6 feet 4 and 220 pounds, threw for 634 yards and eight touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns this season, according to the GMC website."

We need him... We only have 3 scholly QBs for '13 so far ( Whitmer, Cochran, Lagow ) .. Thought we'd grab at least one more scholly QB... We're kinda crazy not to IMO... should have 5 on the roster at least though....

Reaction Score
Take off the "I hate everyone" glasses... you know that these kids play both ways and they can be clearly focused on the DB/KR/PR side as opposed to the RB side (although @ 5-10 a bit short)

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-...idge-community-high-school/silas-spearman-iii

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2012/10/seminole_ridge_rb_spearman_one.html

This kid's a football player... He can help our program...either side of the ball IMO... http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1266347/#highlights/21737418

Reaction Score

i meanm lets be real. most here are a lot higher on marriner then i am. the kid is a cb at this level not a rb. hes a great hs rb but if he was that dam great he would have better offers. REACH at the position. i would welcome him as a db project. the rb recruiting is just fugly to be nice. a competent coach has laray smith on board in janurary last year and never looks back. lets him run track and **** all day. not to mention any other rb recruits.

-2 rbs
-1 or 2 qbs
-2 dbs
-2 or more ol
-2 or 3 dl
-1 or 2 lbs
-1 tight end
-1 wr

you dont have to leave the footprint for that at all. its really that simple next year its going to be scary how we **** it up.
We need to maintain depth at RB too bro... Right now we have McCombs, Claxx, Delorenzo, J. Williams, Marriner and Hyppolite .. The laws of attrition tells me that somebody on that list won't be here in '13, which means we take one more RB. The only frustrating part about this is that you can't keep going after the bottom of the barrell options. 9 times outta 10 you are more likely to get a player who, at best is a constant on special teams and may be lucky to get more than 20 carries his entire carrier... And one more thing... I said before ( over and over and over and over again ).. Until we get a RB coach ( real one ) we're gonna be the last option for a lot of the higher caliber RBs... hence the "fugliness" of its current recruitment... Wish we could bring back TRich...

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if he heads to Milford Academy to increase his stock and visibility. Then, enroll somewhere in January to participate in Spring practice.

He won't be on the defensive side of the ball at the next level. At 6'1, 200 with 4.4 speed, somebody will see his highlight film and give him a shot.

So what is the staff waiting for?

Reaction Score

Or maybe not...:)

Sean Rubalcava (@SRUB_71)
12/10/12, 6:40 PM
@RunRalphieRun Looking for a place to play. JUCO player 2x All-Conference 2x All-State hudl.com/athlete/504601… ( http://www.hudl.com/athlete/504601/sean-rubalcava )

Sean Rubalcava (@SRUB_71)
12/10/12, 6:50 PM
@FootballASU Looking for a place to play. JUCO player 2x All-Conference 2x All-State. hudl.com/athlete/504601…

Looking PAC12?

Reaction Score
Safe to say they are looking for Juco OT help. This should tell us 2 things: 1) the staff is feeling some heat to produce 2) The staff also has not developed a tackle they're comfortable with after two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom