“Unbelievable” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

“Unbelievable”

Reaction Score
I guess my issue with the “he should have got the tech earlier takes” is did we not all see him working the refs all game? The refs can’t give “last straw” technicals that late in a close game. If for 35 minutes you’ve given the coaches plenty of rope than that needs to continue for the rest of the game.

Now if he did something over the top egregious in the moment to earn the tech that’s different, but if it was just more of the same that’s bs

Reaction Score
Agree. Why did 4 players play 33 or more minutes? Our coach forgot what makes this team really good, deep depth. In our best played games Sanogo played 25 minutes and Clingan 15. Our coach cracked under pressure. Sound familiar? We were more gassed than they were because their players are used to playing big minutes and ours are not. If he used the bench, our best players would have been fresh the last 5 minutes.
Yep, there's no way Xavier should've been the fresher team and yet they looked like the fresher team. Sanogo and Clingan's minutes should look something like 23/17 and yet in Big East play it's going the other way with Sanogo a tick over 30 minutes per game and Clingan a tick under 10 minutes per game. Lately he's treating Clingan like a guy who only has value giving Sanogo a quick breather which is crazy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hurley made his bed.

Calhoun got on the refs, but with a couple of notable exceptions, he generally got along with them. There’s an edge to Hurley’s dealings with them and it carries after the game to the pressers - that gets around.

Last year after the Xavier loss, even UConn apologized for his comments.

It’s tiring and it costs the team in bad spots - yesterday was last year’s Hurley….bitching at the officials, making roughly zero adjustments and forgetting that he has more than five players on the roster.

Grow up already.
If I agree with and like nearly all of this post, but criticize you for closing with, "Grow up already" instead of cheering like a fan for him to continue "growing" on his path, you're unlikely to swing around to my point of view.

I doubt that DH is unlikely to swing around to your point of view, however more punchy it might seem for you to put it so starkly.

We can all benefit from self-moderated expression, especially when we share the same overall goal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We don't get biased officiating. There are plenty of games we got more than our fair share of the iffy calls.

I should expect delusional takes on this board after a loss... but this loss has some special kind of ridiculous coming out.
It was pretty biased vs Xavier. Not saying it doesn’t go our way sometimes, but that was not even close to a fairly called game. Some really awful calls. Charges on flops, a moving screen that wasn’t moving at all probably a dozen bad calls 11 for Xavier 1 for us. We lost, he got a T, I can’t blame him.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Hurley can be mad about foul discrepancy but honestly when you shoot so many 3's and rarely go to basket it's hard to draw fouls.

Hawk did get 2 calls when shooting a 3. We took 9 FT's. 6 by Hawk on 3 pt fouls, 1 on a Tech....so took 2 FT's otherwise. Yes 28 - 9 is crazy discrepancy on paper but if you don't go to the basket you usually don't draw many fouls.
You’re right, they didn’t foul on rebounds

Reaction Score
Officials, like players and coaches have good and bad games. We agree? Ok, maybe not. But IMO, yesterday; Xavier was good, coach DH was bad, our team was not good enough, and the officials were bad. The officials need to have thick skin and could have done better in that heated moment.

Reaction Score

This is a bad look (right after the technical free throws were complete)... he needs to get back to the way he was in Portland. "Coach your guys".. when he gets out of control the team tends to get out of control; better composure and playing to the teams talent level, not shifting into hero ball (hoisting threes, out of control passes, etc) may or may not have changed the result, but certainly would've improved their odds down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I think this is the thing with a lot of our drives from Andre and Newton. They drive to pass first and score second which makes it easy for teams to defend and not draw fouls on.

As far as the technical goes. Calhoun had a knack for purposeful well timed techs. Whether it was to fire the team up (which he did often) or to work the refs early like some have said. But a lot of them were with a purpose. Don’t really see that from Hurley techs.

I know it’s not ideal to keep comparing Hurley to a GOAT. But he’s right there, he may as well learn from him.
Well said regarding JC. His Ts were purposeful. DH just loses his composure.

There is an old analogy I once heard about one’s energy. You can get “hot”; but there is a difference between a red-hot coal, and a raging brushfire. JC was the former; DH the latter.

Reaction Score
Agree. Why did 4 players play 33 or more minutes? Our coach forgot what makes this team really good, deep depth. In our best played games Sanogo played 25 minutes and Clingan 15. Our coach cracked under pressure. Sound familiar? We were more gassed than they were because their players are used to playing big minutes and ours are not. If he used the bench, our best players would have been fresh the last 5 minutes.
I’ve been told that cracking under pressure is a Hurley trait.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
When RJ wouldn't pass, his small stature got him in trouble, and his injury against Creighton in 2021 shut things down just as he was starting to pass.

Andre has not yet progressed in this area, but he has begun to shoot from the outside, so it's plausible that he will seek to develop this additional skill.

As to Tristen, this was identified in advance as a specific skill he possessed. Ever since Andre returned from his injury, Tristen has notably reduced his already demonstrated abilities to draw fouls and make free throws. I do not see that it is wholly attributable to the stronger competition he is facing. Something is not right here.

For certain, not yet.

May this growth opportunity be recognized and seized. We are by no means alone in seeing this.
We’re on the same page. Tristan definitely started to take more of a back seat with Andre back. It’s up to Hurley to push his buttons to get him to be more involved. Like you said, challenge them to get to the cup more. Same for Andre.

Hurley can teach a caveman to play defense. But I’m not sure how much he pushes guys offensively.

Found this clip of Calhoun absolutely lighting up Boatright. Lol Im not sure if I’ve seen Hurley get into anybody like this for something they did on offense outside of turnovers.

Reaction Score
If I agree with and like nearly all of this post, but criticize you for closing with, "Grow up already" instead of cheering like a fan for him to continue "growing" on his path, you're unlikely to swing around to my point of view.

I doubt that DH is unlikely to swing around to your point of view, however more punchy it might seem for you to put it so starkly.

We can all benefit from self-moderated expression, especially when we share the same overall goal.
He does have to grow up. When he flies off the handle, he forgets his job is to coach the team to win including find the right on court lineup.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He does have to grow up. When he flies off the handle, he forgets his job is to coach the team to win including find the right on court lineup.
You'd have done better pointing out that I carelessly left in a double negative that canceled out my point.

I don't dispute that, "Grow up" might represent a strong majority POV, just that it's an unlikely motivator that often represents a different emotionally immature take...and that few like to hear it or respond well to it.

The case for certain behaviors and patterns being counterproductive has already been made.

What's the case for 'boosting' it with a pejorative that often exacerbates things by making recipients defensive on the lesser point?

Reaction Score
It was pretty biased vs Xavier. Not saying it doesn’t go our way sometimes, but that was not even close to a fairly called game. Some really awful calls. Charges on flops, a moving screen that wasn’t moving at all probably a dozen bad calls 11 for Xavier 1 for us. We lost, he got a T, I can’t blame him.
You honestly believe there were 11 bad calls on us and 1 on Xavier?

This sounds like some serious hyperbole, we watched the same game and I certainly didn't see that kind of disparity in how they called it.

I saw Xavier playing much more aggressively than us on offense with them taking it to the rim to score and UConn shooting threes the entire game, 2 of which Hawkins drew fouls on.

There was a huge ft disparity but it looks far less crazy in the context of how the two teams played the game and UConn fouling three times in the final minute when the game was already lost and Hurley getting T'd up. That's 8 ft's for Xavier right there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know it won't ever happen but I'd like to see as part of the official box score or game record officials needing to provide a brief description of the exact reason for T-ing up a coach or player.

Reaction Score

If that’s true it should be a scandal and these refs should have their names attached. But of course refs are always given cover, never have to answer to the public, and can just slither away

Reaction Score
Hurley is a child and an absolute embarrassment. ‘I guess I shouldn’t have said unbelievable’ is the kind of a 7 year old would pull. Grow up. Leader of men smh. He also happens to be a damn good basketball coach so I will deal will him being a loser. Can his relative who posts here shake some sense into his hollow head?

Reaction Score
Screw that. The refs need to act professionally and treat all coaches the same. Period. If you can't do that, get a new job. DH isn't physically hurting anyone. Any when the refs are doing a bad job, he has every right to complain. He is sticking up for his players.
How's that working out?
Geez, “how’s that working out?” 14-1, a great stable of players here, a great class coming in.

I suppose it’s working out ok. Plus lots to learn from.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a child and an absolute embarrassment. ‘I guess I shouldn’t have said unbelievable’ is the kind of a 7 year old would pull. Grow up. Leader of men smh. He also happens to be a damn good basketball coach so I will deal will him being a loser. Can his relative who posts here shake some sense into his hollow head?

Jesus there are some clowns on this board.

Reaction Score
The “we weren’t aggressive enough to get foul calls” folks should rewatch the game. Xavier did plenty of things to warrant foul calls that were getting whistled the other side.

First few minutes alone:
  1. Xavier multiple players 3 second violations to try to prevent lob play no call
  2. Nunge push on sanogo no call
  3. Sanogo called for foul on lob to Nunge, there was no foul on the play
  4. Hawkins fouled on drive, no call
  5. Newton called for reach foul on made shot, no foul on the play
  6. Hurley warned for being out of coaching box
  7. Back down the court Miller out of box next to ref, no warning
  8. Karaban offensive board, fouled on layup attempt no call made

This is literally just the first 3 minutes of the game. Sure some calls did go our way, but it was 3-1. Xavier has had 15-25 fouls every game this year. They didn’t magically hold us to one of our worst offensive efficiency games of the year while committing 8 defensive fouls.

Reaction Score
This is the guy Hurley called a Freakin* Clown 4 or 5 times on national TV during the Nova game. The "High Knees Ref". I tend to agree with Danny's assessment, but I'd rather have had him shut up and get the win yesterday (I think the foul disparity was directly downstream from Danny's antics). A GREAT coach would have won the X game and then made a complaint through the appropriate channels. The refs were atrocious yesterday, but what do you expect when you embarrass their colleagues?

Reaction Score
Jesus there are some clowns on this board.
Chill out, this is probably Bobby.

Reaction Score
The “we weren’t aggressive enough to get foul calls” folks should rewatch the game. Xavier did plenty of things to warrant foul calls that were getting whistled the other side.

First few minutes alone:
  1. Xavier multiple players 3 second violations to try to prevent lob play no call
  2. Nunge push on sanogo no call
  3. Sanogo called for foul on lob to Nunge, there was no foul on the play
  4. Hawkins fouled on drive, no call
  5. Newton called for reach foul on made shot, no foul on the play
  6. Hurley warned for being out of coaching box
  7. Back down the court Miller out of box next to ref, no warning
  8. Karaban offensive board, fouled on layup attempt no call made

This is literally just the first 3 minutes of the game. Sure some calls did go our way, but it was 3-1. Xavier has had 15-25 fouls every game this year. They didn’t magically hold us to one of our worst offensive efficiency games of the year while committing 8 defensive fouls.
The Hurley warning for being on the court was with around 4 minutes left in the second half and he was on the court way more than Miller was during the game.

Can you explain the college defensive 3 second rule to me?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom