“Unbelievable” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“Unbelievable”

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Hurley can be mad about foul discrepancy but honestly when you shoot so many 3's and rarely go to basket it's hard to draw fouls.

Hawk did get 2 calls when shooting a 3. We took 9 FT's. 6 by Hawk on 3 pt fouls, 1 on a Tech....so took 2 FT's otherwise. Yes 28 - 9 is crazy discrepancy on paper but if you don't go to the basket you usually don't draw many fouls.
We won the battle of the boards, we had the ball in the paint many times, they double and tripled teamed us many times, they reached in a stripped the ball, and they never fouled. The only calls in the paint on our side of the court were either offensive fouls OR they took away an uncontested layup. Not one shooting foul in the paint

IMPOSSIBLE

Reaction Score
I don't understand how you manage to have the wrong take so consistently.

Be reasonable man. Rewatch the game. The T was more than warranted.
I didn't even think the refs were too bad. Did we have 2 or 3 questionable calls late where the refs could've swallowed the whistle? Probably but it's a home game for X and that stuff usually favors the home team. As for the crazy foul disparity, Xavier were the aggressors all game taking it to the hoop, they picked up at least 3 and ones just on Karaban because he couldn't guard that team. Xavier took 13 three pointers while UConn took 37.

I'm as critical of the refs as anyone when they're terrible but it's not why Xavier lived at the line and UConn didn't. And if you have a problem with the ft disparity and how the refs are calling things you work them early in the game. A well timed T early when the refs know they got one wrong and you will start seeing calls go your way and the fouls even out some usually. It's bizarre Hurley has been at this so long and still is so lost with the refs.

Reaction Score
We won the battle of the boards, we had the ball in the paint many times, they double and tripled teamed us many times, they reached in a stripped the ball, and they never fouled. The only calls in the paint on our side of the court were either offensive fouls OR they took away an uncontested layup. Not one shooting foul in the paint

UNBELIEVABLE
Fixed it for you.

Reaction Score
I didn't even think the refs were too bad. Did we have 2 or 3 questionable calls late where the refs could've swallowed the whistle? Probably but it's a home game for X and that stuff usually favors the home team. As for the crazy foul disparity, Xavier were the aggressors all game taking it to the hoop, they picked up at least 3 and ones just on Karaban because he couldn't guard that team. Xavier took 13 three pointers while UConn took 37.

I'm as critical of the refs as anyone when they're terrible but it's not why Xavier lived at the line and UConn didn't. And if you have a problem with the ft disparity and how the refs are calling things you work them early in the game. A well timed T early when the refs know they got one wrong and you will start seeing calls go your way and the fouls even out some usually. It's bizarre Hurley has been at this so long and still is so lost with the refs.
And it’s the thing that is most likely to hold us back. Our coach loses his mind in close games and it 100% flows through to his players. He has to mature or we aren’t going anywhere.

Reaction Score
A lit of refs do a terrible job leaving their own emotions out of the game. A number of others just can't keep up with the game so they call "situational" fouls they can't actually see or process in real time. As a Coach with a few years under your belt it's up to you to manage the mediocrity around you and be strategic with your communications to the same extent you strategize plays and personnel. Whatever Dan's plan is it isn't working and he needs to find a strategy that he can execute. Unfortunately if he can't control himself on the sidelines that drastically limits his options. I'm thinking just take a game or 2 where he delegates those communications to an assistant and just Coach the players. Every ref would notice that and maybe he can start fresh afterwards. Maybe.

Reaction Score

IMPOSSIBLE
I'm sure the refs missed some calls...but you don't get fouls shots on non shooting fouls until the opponent fouls 7 times in the half (as you know). My point is refs are more inclined to call fouls when drive to basket and fouls also mount up that way. I realized X loaded the box but still we need to go to basket more than we do. We have guys that should be able to get to the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Screw that. The refs need to act professionally and treat all coaches the same. Period. If you can't do that, get a new job. DH isn't physically hurting anyone. Any when the refs are doing a bad job, he has every right to complain. He is sticking up for his players.
How's that working out?

Reaction Score
While I fully support Coach Hurley he needs to ease up and pick fewer battles. I don't think the technical was the only reason we lost but it didn't help. Xavier is one of the best offensive teams in the country and our D didn't not preform like a top 15 defense yesterday.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hurley can be mad about foul discrepancy but honestly when you shoot so many 3's and rarely go to basket it's hard to draw fouls.

Hawk did get 2 calls when shooting a 3. We took 9 FT's. 6 by Hawk on 3 pt fouls, 1 on a Tech....so took 2 FT's otherwise. Yes 28 - 9 is crazy discrepancy on paper but if you don't go to the basket you usually don't draw many fouls.
This remains my overall point of view, though I've only seen a single mention here that the technical came in close proximity to an offensive foul called on Jordan Hawkins while he was driving directly to the basket.

The chosen television camera displayed blocked action along the base line on the left side of the basket, as seen from mid court on the right side of the court. In other words, the view was distant and obscured. The was no replay, so I do not know what the contact was.

I do know that I was initially delighted that FINALLY a UConn player was attacking the basket, and that, as I'd been expecting and texting and pleading for, there was a foul called. I anticipated Hawkins getting to the line to calmly close the gap to 74-73, and, I'd hoped, establish the soundness of going to the basket, shooting, and drawing contact.

I was shocked that the call went against Hawkins, but never got to see if I'd have agreed with the call. Instead, I saw that Hawkins looked surprised & unhappy, and that Hurley looked the same. It took a moment or two into the subsequent play for the T to be called.

As horribly-timed and fatally-consequential to hopes for victory as the technical was, it clearly registered as a 'last straw.'

I felt desperate for movement to the rim, and infuriated every single time Tristen Newton chose an ineffective pass instead. None of the passes crisply kicked-out to an open shooter, handed-off or dumped-down to a teammate in position for an open layup, or resulted in a hard dunk on an alley oop. All looked like pre-determined, no-matter-what, forced choices to NOT attempt a field goal to score or draw a foul. Hawkins did something intended to be effective, and, at worst, confirmed that such movement would not be effective even if chosen.

I don't suppose that I'll ever know if it was a bad call by the ref. I do know that it was a needed play attempted, and I deeply wish for more hard movement to the basket in order to re-establish the team's strength and flexibility to score in multiple ways.

Shot selection and quality in the final 9 minutes was much more like the past two seasons, which was tremendously disappointing. I hope that film review, practice, game prep & planning all result in improvements.

The Georgetown and Xavier games were played to the opponents' preferences, and could still have been 2 victories, but yesterday was not a satisfying viewing experience.

Sean Miller had a clearer sense of the game he wanted, and Ed Cooley, Greg McDermott, and Shaka Smart are the next 3 coaches who Dan Hurley will be facing. Again, now in season 5, our head coach has reached his growing edge. Who, truly, would expect otherwise?

Time to regroup, refocus, and rededicate to growth as coaches, players, and fans.

It's not "coming;" it's here.
One game at a time.
Go Huskies.
...if you have a problem with the ft disparity and how the refs are calling things you work them early in the game. A well timed T early when the refs know they got one wrong and you will start seeing calls go your way and the fouls even out some usually.
Yes.

This is an acquired skill, and it's now required. Nothing about it can be considered a surprise or "unbelievable" any more, even if it seems 'unfair' or such. No team wins 6 consecutive games between mid-March and early April without developing competence in this realm.

Again, this is true growing edge stuff and what we have been wanting. This is how it works. As fans, we know this because we have seen this.

Last edited:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Yes, it's obvious that refs don't like Hurley and consistently give us a bad whistle as a result. Is that supposed to be a justification of biased officiating?
Yes! Yes it is.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Screw that. The refs need to act professionally and treat all coaches the same. Period. If you can't do that, get a new job. DH isn't physically hurting anyone. Any when the refs are doing a bad job, he has every right to complain. He is sticking up for his players.
Then may a 14-1 record in November & December stand as evidence of his dedication to these principles, and his future adjustments show up as evidence his acceptance of consequences that can issue forth from some forms of complaining and sticking up for his players.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hurley made his bed.

Calhoun got on the refs, but with a couple of notable exceptions, he generally got along with them. There’s an edge to Hurley’s dealings with them and it carries after the game to the pressers - that gets around.

Last year after the Xavier loss, even UConn apologized for his comments.

It’s tiring and it costs the team in bad spots - yesterday was last year’s Hurley….bitching at the officials, making roughly zero adjustments and forgetting that he has more than five players on the roster.

Grow up already.

Reaction Score
Hurley made his bed.

Calhoun got on the refs, but with a couple of notable exceptions, he generally got along with them. There’s an edge to Hurley’s dealings with them and it carries after the game to the pressers - that gets around.

It’s tiring and it costs the team in bad spots - yesterday was last year’s Hurley….bitching at the officials, making roughly zero adjustments and forgetting that he has more than five players on the roster.

Grow up already.
totally agree. The short bench and the lost cool and most importantly how it effects the team in late stages of the game are trademarks of last year's underachievement. Lets hope it doesn't reappear but...

Reaction Score
Screw that. The refs need to act professionally and treat all coaches the same. Period. If you can't do that, get a new job. DH isn't physically hurting anyone. Any when the refs are doing a bad job, he has every right to complain. He is sticking up for his

True about the ref, but when is Danny going to realize that this kind of outburst at ref has not only ruined the relationship with ref but also put his team in a very bad light in the eyes of refs.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I felt desperate for movement to the rim, and infuriated every single time Tristen Newton chose an ineffective pass instead. None of the passes crisply kicked-out to an open shooter, handed-off or dumped-down to a teammate in position for an open layup, or resulted in a hard dunk on an alley oop. All looked like pre-determined, no-matter-what, forced choices to NOT attempt a field goal to score or draw a foul. Hawkins did something intended to be effective, and, at worst, confirmed that such movement would not be effective even if chosen.
I think this is the thing with a lot of our drives from Andre and Newton. They drive to pass first and score second which makes it easy for teams to defend and not draw fouls on.

As far as the technical goes. Calhoun had a knack for purposeful well timed techs. Whether it was to fire the team up (which he did often) or to work the refs early like some have said. But a lot of them were with a purpose. Don’t really see that from Hurley techs.

I know it’s not ideal to keep comparing Hurley to a GOAT. But he’s right there, he may as well learn from him.

Reaction Score
I love Danny, he is our coach.

I don’t know, could the same person who barked at the ref in Nova game with “you are a f* clown!” only say “unbelievable!”? My bet is not likely, I’m just being honest.
So let's say he said "nope unbelievable", is that worth a T?

Reaction Score
The Big East needs to investigate which refs are telling Jeff Goodman they “have had it” with Hurley. This is a massive integrity issue and those refs should never be allowed to be assigned to a UConn game. There are gambling implications here too people. This is a huge issue for the league to have this publicly out there now.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So let's say he said "nope unbelievable", is that worth a T?

If that's all he said and did, then probably not, but he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt with his actions on the sidelines the last few years.

Reaction Score
Hurley made his bed.

Grow up already.
Agree. Why did 4 players play 33 or more minutes? Our coach forgot what makes this team really good, deep depth. In our best played games Sanogo played 25 minutes and Clingan 15. Our coach cracked under pressure. Sound familiar? We were more gassed than they were because their players are used to playing big minutes and ours are not. If he used the bench, our best players would have been fresh the last 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's obvious that refs don't like Hurley and consistently give us a bad whistle as a result. Is that supposed to be a justification of biased officiating?
Well, if the refs don't like DH and consistently give us bad whistles as a result, it is NOT justification for biased officiating. I agree with your point. If.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think this is the thing with a lot of our drives from Andre and Newton. They drive to pass first and score second which makes it easy for teams to defend and not draw fouls on.
When RJ wouldn't pass, his small stature got him in trouble, and his injury against Creighton in 2021 shut things down just as he was starting to pass.

Andre has not yet progressed in this area, but he has begun to shoot from the outside, so it's plausible that he will seek to develop this additional skill.

As to Tristen, this was identified in advance as a specific skill he possessed. Ever since Andre returned from his injury, Tristen has notably reduced his already demonstrated abilities to draw fouls and make free throws. I do not see that it is wholly attributable to the stronger competition he is facing. Something is not right here.
As far as the technical goes. Calhoun had a knack for purposeful well timed techs. Whether it was to fire the team up (which he did often) or to work the refs early like some have said. But a lot of them were with a purpose. Don’t really see that from Hurley techs.
For certain, not yet.
I know it’s not ideal to keep comparing Hurley to a GOAT. But he’s right there, he may as well learn from him.
May this growth opportunity be recognized and seized. We are by no means alone in seeing this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the consensus here is correct. The reffing was biased, we didn’t draw fouls not driving and hoisting 3’s, and Hurley got rung up more for being a pain in the ass all game and in general. He shortened the bench, underused Clingan and managed the last 5 minutes poorly. Now he needs a game plan and corrections to deal with Providence who will be just as tough to beat at home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom