Zion Williamson to miss “weeks” to start the season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zion Williamson to miss “weeks” to start the season

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I haven’t watched any NBA or Zion this year so won’t speak on him but would like to point out that there are “Stat-Masters” on this board who only look at numbers and have almost zero ability to look at the game in any other way. It’s frustrating to debate with them.
Just think, if Calhoun only cared about stats he would have never found the diamonds in the rough and the intangible qualities that made Uconn so great during his tenure.
There is so much more to this game than our numbers can provide.

You are mostly wrong on this. Deep stats have revolutionized basketball.

Reaction Score
He’s shooting 46% from the field.....33% from 3. 46% is good for a guard. What numbers are you looking at. He averaged 37min pg in preseason. How much better was he supposed to be? You said he “hasn’t looked good” and has been a “chucker”. And you keep referencing his numbers...which don’t really back up your point
That's a 50.9% eFG%, and the league average was 52.4% last year. He's been inefficient shooting.

I still think he, Coby White, and Ja Morant are good value bets for RoY because Zion is so heavily favored and could conceivably miss too much time due to injury.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's a 50.9% eFG%, and the league average was 52.4% last year. He's been inefficient shooting.

I still think he, Coby White, and Ja Morant are good value bets for RoY because Zion is so heavily favored and could conceivably miss too much time due to injury.
He hasn’t shot the 3 extremely well, which is weighing down his eFG%. He’s been an absolute dog at getting to the basket. He’s been fully engaged defensively. He’s arguably been our best pg. Again, you spoke in hyperbole and misrepresented his actual performance. No one saying he’s been perfect and without flaws. He definitely needs to work on getting separation, his turnovers, and hitting the 3 consistently. But to chalk up his performance as “bad” and to call him a “chucker” is a misrepresentation. It’s stat watching. You can’t have actually been watching

Reaction Score
I think Zion could be the next Larry Johnson, but 4 years younger when he gets to the NBA. That would be a pretty awesome career and Zion would be a first ballot hall of famer. But he MUST lose 30-40 pounds starting now, or he will be a 50 games per season player for a few years until his body completely breaks down and he will be lucky to physically be able to even come off the bench by his late 20's.
He has to lose the weight or he'll be remembered as basketballs version of Gary Beban.

Reaction Score
He hasn’t shot the 3 extremely well, which is weighing down his eFG%. He’s been an absolute dog at getting to the basket. He’s been fully engaged defensively. He’s arguably been our best pg. Again, you spoke in hyperbole and misrepresented his actual performance. No one saying he’s been perfect and without flaws. He definitely needs to work on getting separation, his turnovers, and hitting the 3 consistently. But to chalk up his performance as “bad” and to call him a “chucker” is a misrepresentation. It’s stat watching. You can’t have actually been watching
He's a bad chucker

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Update: Tear requiring surgery. Expected to miss up to 8 weeks. Same knee he has had problems with since high school. Not good!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Update: Tear requiring surgery. Expected to miss up to 8 weeks. Same knee he has had problems with since high school. Not good!

Damn, that sucks.

Reaction Score
10 years from now the Knicks will be thrilled they "settled" for RJ. This has always been a concern with Zion. I dont know what weight hes going to lose because a lot of his weight is on his rear end and thighs. Hes not fat. Dude is pretty solid. Its not like Barkely who coming out of college was like 290lbs at 6`5 as that was a lot of fat.
How did that Barkley guy do?

Reaction Score
How did that Barkley guy do?
Barkley got his weight down and went on to have an all time great career. If he had stayed at 290 that doesn't t happen. Zion is just a big dude and I dont think he has that option. He should try playing football because his body isn't built for basketball.

Reaction Score
His stats would calc out to a below average offensive rating. He’s taking a lot of shots. I have no vendetta against the kid, but he just hasn’t been that good yet, not that he won’t be. No need to get this defensive.
Its not about getting defensive its just that you made a terrible point. I honestly couldn't care less what a guy does in his first 4 pre season games of his career. You made it seem like you were concerned about him "chucking" and I simply said chill.
Btw in his first game of the season 9/13 21 points and played some good defense. Dudes a teenager in his first season so hes going to have his ups and downs but the talent is there and we cant even begin to imagine what he is or isn't based on 4 pre season and 1 regular season game. I prefer to be positive and reserve judgement one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Its not about getting defensive its just that you made a terrible point. I honestly couldn't care less what a guy does in his first 4 pre season games of his career. You made it seem like you were concerned about him "chucking" and I simply said chill.
Btw in his first game of the season 9/13 21 points and played some good defense. Dudes a teenager in his first season so hes going to have his ups and downs but the talent is there and we cant even begin to imagine what he is or isn't based on 4 pre season and 1 regular season game. I prefer to be positive and reserve judgement one way or the other.
Last comment here because we’re beating a dead horse. His shooting efficiency was never his strong point, not even in college, where he had a lower TS and eFG on a top 3 team than Jalen Adams did at UConn last year. It’s a well documented weakness for Barrett and will probably be an issue in his early career. I noted he was very young and talented, and I never said that I was low on him long term (I’m not). We’ll see how he progresses this year, but I’m tempering my expectations in year 1.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
After watching the beginning of this season I was just reminded of how much more I like college basketball compared to the NBA.

UconnU

Reaction Score
After watching the beginning of this season I was just reminded of how much more I like college basketball compared to the NBA.
Regular season NBA is such a bad product imo. Significantly worse than the regular season product the other 3 major leagues put out. They should mix it up to get it more competitive somehow. Maybe pre-season and mid-season single game elimination tournaments with cash incentives to the winners?

Reaction Score

To each his own I suppose. Out of curiosity, what is it you find more enjoyable about the college game? Beyond the pageantry of college sports generally and my emotional attachment to UConn through my family, there is - to me - absolutely zero about the on-court product that makes college basketball better than the NBA.

Reaction Score
To each his own I suppose. Out of curiosity, what is it you find more enjoyable about the college game? Beyond the pageantry of college sports generally and my emotional attachment to UConn through my family, there is - to me - absolutely zero about the on-court product that makes college basketball better than the NBA.

I watch both A LOT. Pretty much whenever I am not at work during the seasons.

College basketball has the advantage of watching players improve, seeing true amateurs at work for the lower levels. I like to watch different kinds of defenses and offenses that are unique to college and you never see in the NBA.

The NBA is filled with the best players on the planet. It is clearly the better league. Watching a physical freak like Giannis or someone that looks like Steph dominate the league is awe inspiring. I hate the myths that the NBA is lazy or doesn't play defense. The games last night were filled with great D and hustle plays--amazing stuff.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I thought they checked for prior injuries during the pre draft process. If I’m the owner I’d try to keep him out for as long as possible. Get his conditioning right.

UconnU

Reaction Score
I thought they checked for prior injuries during the pre draft process. If I’m the owner I’d try to keep him out for as long as possible. Get his conditioning right.
If I’m the owner I am sidelining him for the whole year to rehab the knee and get his conditioning right. Unless they are in contention late in the year which seems unlikely.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm not passing on injured Zion

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Last comment here because we’re beating a dead horse. His shooting efficiency was never his strong point, not even in college, where he had a lower TS and eFG on a top 3 team than Jalen Adams did at UConn last year. It’s a well documented weakness for Barrett and will probably be an issue in his early career. I noted he was very young and talented, and I never said that I was low on him long term (I’m not). We’ll see how he progresses this year, but I’m tempering my expectations in year 1.
Even looking past his efficiency stats at duke, watching the games, he was obviously a chucker, I'm surprised even Knicks fans won't acknowledge that.

Reaction Score
Even looking past his efficiency stats at duke, watching the games, he was obviously a chucker, I'm surprised even Knicks fans won't acknowledge that.
Because Knick fans have seen him play games for the Knicks.......he hasn’t been chucking. What he did at Duke is irrelevant. He had ONE bad shooting night in preseason. Take away that night and in his first 5 NBA games he’s shooting 55% from the field and 37% from 3. While averaging 13 shots per game in 37 mpg. That’s not chucking. Those are the numbers. It literally takes 5min Of research to see UConnStats is way off base

Reaction Score
Watch the Clippers, they are going to fly all around the court and put the clamps on everyone. Watch the Nuggets, Jokic is one of the most skilled bball players you'll ever see. Watch the Bucks, Giannis is a freak. Watch the Mavs, Doncic can do everything there is to do on the court and Porzingis is another freak. Watch the Pelicans when Zion is back, he's the most athletic person in sports. Watch the Hawks, they are full of young talent. You can basically turn on any game in the NBA now and have a couple players who will wow you. The league is about as healthy as it's ever been.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Because Knick fans have seen him play games for the Knicks..he hasn’t been chucking. What he did at Duke is irrelevant. He had ONE bad shooting night in preseason. Take away that night and in his first 5 NBA games he’s shooting 55% from the field and 37% from 3. While averaging 13 shots per game in 37 mpg. That’s not chucking. Those are the numbers. It literally takes 5min Of research to see UConnStats is way off base
You drafted him based on what he did at Duke, I'd say it's relevant.

Reaction Score
You drafted him based on what he did at Duke, I'd say it's relevant.
Not when evaluating his performance thus far in the league. Which is what UConnStats was doing.....he said “he’s looked bad” and has been “chucking”. Then damn near admitted he hasn’t really watched him. He’s way off. Period

This is like saying, “jimmy butler is a bad offensive player, because you know remember Marquette?” It’s literally irrelevant

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom