Zion Williamson to miss “weeks” to start the season | The Boneyard

Zion Williamson to miss “weeks” to start the season

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
This is the problem with Zion as a prospect, durability. A 290 pound man playing that hard, running around and jumping like he does playing 82+ 48 minute games a year just isn’t practical. His knees are going to be shot. They need to cut his weight substantially.

Reaction Score
This is the problem with Zion as a prospect, durability. A 290 pound man playing that hard, running around and jumping like he does playing 82+ 48 minute games a year just isn’t practical. His knees are going to be shot. They need to cut his weight substantially.

10 years from now the Knicks will be thrilled they "settled" for RJ. This has always been a concern with Zion. I dont know what weight hes going to lose because a lot of his weight is on his rear end and thighs. Hes not fat. Dude is pretty solid. Its not like Barkely who coming out of college was like 290lbs at 6`5 as that was a lot of fat.

Reaction Score
Personally I hope the kid comes through with longevity. I'm no Zion fan, but he does attract the young ones and the NBA needs him. He's got a gift, that needs to be taken care of regardless of naysayers, and money makers.

Reaction Score
You're looking at a situation like this. You have a young fireball pitcher who's elbow just isn't going to last 15 seasons and he needs to learn other pitches.

His lower body is clearly not going to allow him to use just physical gifts to jump and dunk the next 15 years. Especially if he's playing extended minutes all season, then deep into postseasons, then for things like the Olympics. His knees odometer is already logging rough miles.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Grandmama, Bill Walton and anhost of other bigs say hello.

LJ was much more chiseled than Zion but as OP says once bigger players start getting lower body injuries (back and legs) they tend to compound over time.

And then, as Deep points out, for the first time in your life you are forced to learn how to use skill vice brute Force to remain effective.

Reaction Score
10 years from now the Knicks will be thrilled they "settled" for RJ. This has always been a concern with Zion. I dont know what weight hes going to lose because a lot of his weight is on his rear end and thighs. Hes not fat. Dude is pretty solid. Its not like Barkely who coming out of college was like 290lbs at 6`5 as that was a lot of fat.
Barrett is really young and has a high ceiling, but he’s not looking good right now. He’s been a complete chucker.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Zion could be the next Larry Johnson, but 4 years younger when he gets to the NBA. That would be a pretty awesome career and Zion would be a first ballot hall of famer. But he MUST lose 30-40 pounds starting now, or he will be a 50 games per season player for a few years until his body completely breaks down and he will be lucky to physically be able to even come off the bench by his late 20's.

Reaction Score
This is not true at all. Barrett has looked really good in pre-season. And has not been “chucking” at all.
Yeah but don't go ruining the narrative that he sucks with your logic

Reaction Score
This is not true at all. Barrett has looked really good in pre-season. And has not been “chucking” at all.
He’s had one great game and in his other preseason games he shot:

6/13
6/15
4/14

That’s inefficient
Well that confirms it, hes a bust. Knicks should just cut him. :rolleyes:
How did I imply anything like that?

Reaction Score
I believe that the majority of Hall Of Fame players took extraordinary steps in their physical conditioning (with the exception of Charles Barkley who was a rare specimen.). Zion has not even played in a regular season game so we have no idea of what is going to happen when he charges into a few of the more physical players who are even larger than him.

Reaction Score

6/13
6/15
4/14

That’s inefficient

1. 13, 15, and 14 shots in 40 min is not chucking.

2. Posting his shooting % numbers without posting his all around game numbers is unfair and dishonest at best.

3. His defense, rebounding, and passing ability have stood out. His defense was severely underrated coming out of Duke. The kid is a baller

4. He’s looked as good if not better than every other rookie not named Zion. Actually watch the games. He’s been really impressive

Reaction Score
Zion has not even played in a regular season game so we have no idea of what is going to happen when he charges into a few of the more physical players who are even larger than him.

There is one person in the NBA who is currently heavier than Zion and he's literally a giant.

Reaction Score
1. 13, 15, and 14 shots in 40 min is not chucking.

2. Posting his shooting % numbers without posting his all around game numbers is unfair and dishonest at best.

3. His defense, rebounding, and passing ability have stood out. His defense was severely underrated coming out of Duke. The kid is a baller

4. He’s looked as good if not better than every other rookie not named Zion. Actually watch the games. He’s been really impressive
His stats would calc out to a below average offensive rating. He’s taking a lot of shots. I have no vendetta against the kid, but he just hasn’t been that good yet, not that he won’t be. No need to get this defensive.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
His stats would calc out to a below average offensive rating. He’s taking a lot of shots. I have no vendetta against the kid, but he just hasn’t been that good yet, not that he won’t be. No need to get this defensive.
I don’t like his inefficiency, he’s a volume guy. Settles for long range low % looks far too much. Has trouble creating separation. Takes plays off on defense. Wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Hunter ends up to be the better pro.

Reaction Score
Not being defensive. You called him a “chucker” 14-15 shots in 40 min is not chucking. You said “ he hasn’t looked good”. That’s not a correct representation of how he’s performing. It shows me you haven’t watched

Reaction Score
I don’t like his inefficiency, he’s a volume guy. Settles for long range low % looks far too much. Has trouble creating separation. Takes too many plays off. Wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Hunter ends up to be the better pro.
In regards to “ taking plays off” that has not been true thus far in his pro career

Reaction Score
Not being defensive. You called him a “chucker” 14-15 shots in 40 min is not chucking. You said “ he hasn’t looked good”. That’s not a correct representation of how he’s performing. It shows me you haven’t watched
You saying he looks good to you when statistically he hasn’t, means even less. And considering the minutes he’s playing that would still be over 20 FGA per 36, which would have been top 20 in the NBA last year, so IMO yes that’s a lot of shots to take when you’re not making a good percentage of them. I agree that he has crazy potential, but the actual production isn’t there yet.

Reaction Score
You saying he looks good to you when statistically he’s hasn’t, means even less. And considering the minutes he’s playing that would still be over 20 FGA per 36, which would have been top 20 in the NBA last year, so IMO yes that’s a lot of shots to take when you’re not making a good percentage of them.
He’s shooting 46% from the field.....33% from 3. 46% is good for a guard. What numbers are you looking at. He averaged 37min pg in preseason. How much better was he supposed to be? You said he “hasn’t looked good” and has been a “chucker”. And you keep referencing his numbers...which don’t really back up your point

Reaction Score
You saying he looks good to you when statistically he hasn’t, means even less. And considering the minutes he’s playing that would still be over 20 FGA per 36, which would have been top 20 in the NBA last year, so IMO yes that’s a lot of shots to take when you’re not making a good percentage of them. I agree that he has crazy potential, but the actual production isn’t there yet.
You obviously haven’t watched him play this pre-season... the knicks have thrown a mixed bag at the kid having him play both shooting guard & the point... he’s handled it all very well... I’m sure there will be bumps in the road, but to disparage his pre-season play is just being uninformed...

Reaction Score
You obviously haven’t watched him play this pre-season... the knicks have thrown a mixed bag at the kid having him play both shooting guard & the point... he’s handled it all very well... I’m sure there will be bumps in the road, but to disparage his pre-season play is just being uninformed...
I haven’t watched any NBA or Zion this year so won’t speak on him but would like to point out that there are “Stat-Masters” on this board who only look at numbers and have almost zero ability to look at the game in any other way. It’s frustrating to debate with them.
Just think, if Calhoun only cared about stats he would have never found the diamonds in the rough and the intangible qualities that made Uconn so great during his tenure.
There is so much more to this game than our numbers can provide.

Reaction Score

6/13
6/15
4/14

That’s inefficient

You didnt. I was sarcastically and jokingly telling you to chill out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom