Zags- Should Drummond come out after one year? | The Boneyard

Zags- Should Drummond come out after one year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“He has transcendent athletic ability and I know the NBA drafts, if there is an NBA, they draft on potential,” longtime New York recruiting expert Tom Konchalski said. “But I don’t know if he’s going to be ready after one year to go to the NBA and be a factor. I think he’s going to do himself a disservice if he comes out after one year." quote from article

Reaction Score
Ready or not they draft on potential. Im sure there was at least one team in the lottery that would have taken a shot at Drummond in the last draft. If he plays as advertised, i think its a long shot he stays more than one year.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Hoping they implement some 2 year college requirement in order to get into the Nba. Not just cause we would keep AD for two years but I think it will make college basketball better, making for better pros

Reaction Score
This article certainly paints him as being extremely raw. We all know about his immense athletic ability, but his apparent lack of any polish is a little worrisome.

That being said, he's the type of player who can be very successful solely on athletic, and the coaching staff is sure to help him as well. I think he'll be a force at the end of the year and really don't see any way that he stays more than one year. But we can hope!

Reaction Score
i hope that 2-and-done rule comes into place sometime this year

Reaction Score
he's as athletic as shawn kemp? yikes, at least we will have 15 fouls at center to use on him...

I understand the comparison to Kemp as far as athleticism, no doubt he has that gift. Needs work and lots of it as far as around the basket. Will be good on defense protecting the rim and rebounding the ball right away. There is no rush for the rest - the team has the tools to give him time to learn. He can really pass the ball and Alex and others will benefit no doubt so noone should be concerned about his lack of fundamentals around the hoop. The staff is excellent and will teach him to be good - can't help but learn and get better with his gifts. Wonder what the hell Quinn was doing at STM? lol

He has not yet reached basketball puberty. He doesn’t know how to play.” Konchalski may be a bit overstating this time!!

Reaction Score
I never thought we were going to get him so im just happy that we have him for this year. Once our first game gets underway can we not have talks about him or anyone else staying or leaving, lets just worry about this season.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
i hope that 2-and-done rule comes into place sometime this year
The thing that really scares me about the 2 year rule is Kentucky. Don't want those guys staying for a second year....

Reaction Score
The only thing I disagree with is Calhoun's comparison to Emeka. Both were inexperienced but Drummond is larger with far more athletic gifts plus passing ability. Yes he may have a similar offensive game as Emeka had at the same stage but can anyone imagine Emeka going between the legs for a dunk when he was a freshman, or senior for that matter? He just didn't have that athletic ability. 2 years makes sense for his development. the money is not going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Its confusing that we have a 6-10 270 lb. freak athlete center in Drummond whose best offensive talents are supposedly passing and handling the ball and who is said to be extremely raw with his back to the basket. I distinctly remember Quinn saying how they wanted to make Drummond skilled in all facets of the game, not just posting up, but god damn - wouldn't you think he would emphasize the inside game at least a little. For the sake of Andre's development, coming to Uconn was the best thing that could happen to him.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
The only thing I disagree with is Calhoun's comparison to Emeka. Both were inexperienced but Drummond is larger with far more athletic gifts plus passing ability. Yes he may have a similar offensive game as Emeka had at the same stage but can anyone imagine Emeka going between the legs for a dunk when he was a freshman, or senior for that matter? He just didn't have that athletic ability. 2 years makes sense for his development. the money is not going anywhere.

I agree that Emeka was not as athletically gifted as Andre, although he was by far the most athletically gifted center UConn had ever had until Andre signed up. However, Emeka was tremendously gifted in the ability to time and block shots. He had great lateral quickness for his size. He also was smart and tough and a great competitor. I hope that Andre is strong in those areas as well.

Reaction Score
How does he compare with Patrick Eweing at this stage?

Reaction Score
The thing that really scares me about the 2 year rule is Kentucky. Don't want those guys staying for a second year....

Yea, I said the same thing a few weeks ago. I know Cal's coaching abilities are doubted here but he's made the Elite 8 and then the Final 4 at UK with teams built mostly of freshmen, I don't want to see the group he has now come back with an entire season to build chemistry together.

Reaction Score
I understand the comparison to Kemp as far as athleticism, no doubt he has that gift. Needs work and lots of it as far as around the basket. Will be good on defense protecting the rim and rebounding the ball right away. There is no rush for the rest - the team has the tools to give him time to learn. He can really pass the ball and Alex and others will benefit no doubt so noone should be concerned about his lack of fundamentals around the hoop. The staff is excellent and will teach him to be good - can't help but learn and get better with his gifts. Wonder what the hell Quinn was doing at STM? lol
lol all you want.......quinn taught him well....he made great strides.....konchalski saw him play maybe five times and and spends more time socializing than watching......On offense he is getting the individual work he needed but to say he is that raw is almost an injustice let alone an insult.....you will see.....i have posted numerous times that his biggest contribution this year will be his team defense and as a garbageman underneath.......Quinn was the perfect coach for ad's development......and his mother was very appreciative....you had to see the kid's growth over the last two years as a player and as a student......Since very few board members have seen him play ball all kinds of crap is coming out.........when the season begins you will see great things maybe not from the start but soon after.....Been following Uconn bb since 55 ....he will be the best to play at storrs we just won't see that...the pro's will.

He has not yet reached basketball puberty. He doesn’t know how to play.” Konchalski may be a bit overstating this time!!

Reaction Score
for those of you saying uk would be scary with the 2 year rule you have to remember that if kids are coming back alot of elite recruits would go elsewhere to get more pt. i think a 2 year rule would spread talent all over the country and youd see alot of programs get really good really quick. i hope it happens because itd be awesome.

Reaction Score
for those of you saying uk would be scary with the 2 year rule you have to remember that if kids are coming back alot of elite recruits would go elsewhere to get more pt. i think a 2 year rule would spread talent all over the country and youd see alot of programs get really good really quick. i hope it happens because itd be awesome.
Thats a great point, i agree 100%. If that was the case then theres no way Knight would have went to UK last year because Wall would still have been there

Reaction Score
Happy to hear Glen Miller say they're working on "his ball positioning with his shot," which I think needs a good deal of work on based on the vids ive seen of him.

Reaction Score
Seems hard to believe that AD would come into UConn as raw as the article makes him out to be after spending two years at a basketball prep school. If that's really the case, what the hell were they teaching him there?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thats a great point, i agree 100%. If that was the case then theres no way Knight would have went to UK last year because Wall would still have been there

John Wall for 2 is a hell of a lot scarier than B Knight for 2.

I don't want the 2 year rule. Anything that increases the likelihood of Cal getting a championship is a bad thing. Anything that potentially legitimizes that man's career is a bad thing. There is no doubt he can coach.

Plus, watching UK fans squirm is great fun. Their hypocrisy regarding Cal should never be rewarded.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

Honestly, i could see kids going to UK LESS if the 2 year rule is enacted. They go to UK for a vacation basically so if the 2 year rule is enacted I see more of those kids playing elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Seems hard to believe that AD would come into UConn as raw as the article makes him out to be after spending two years at a basketball prep school. If that's really the case, what the hell were they teaching him there?

see my reply to mauconnfan earlier this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger