Zags: Dan Hurley revving up recruiting at UConn | The Boneyard

Zags: Dan Hurley revving up recruiting at UConn

Reaction Score
Best line: UConn has won four NCAA championships since 1999 and Hurley and his staff will reiterate that on the recruiting trail.

Fans care, but it's a fair question about whether recruits care about championship history.

They want to know a program can get guys to the league, something KO failed at spectacularly -- Hurley is unproven yet.

Reaction Score
I'm more impressed by their bandwidth and eagerness to cast a wide net. I'm 100% expecting hits and misses early - but the sheer volume will help them get a better sense of what they can get and goalpost their capabilities better, I think.

Not that I don't think we're not capable of getting great recruits. We're UConn, clearly we can. But the conference, recent failures - we're going to have to identify more of a 'type' really where we'll have sustained success. I guess in a way - establish what our floor is and a floor we can live with and work with before having some sense of what our ceiling is.

As we found out though, even in the past - recruiting can be an odd game of just being there and being present and showing kids you value them. I'm not sure we've done as good a job of that in recent years, so I expect this to all be good. We're doing everything we should be.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Really interesting connection to Cockburn. Wonder if it makes us the current favorite? Until the other blue bloods come calling I suppose.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I'm more impressed by their bandwidth and eagerness to cast a wide net. I'm 100% expecting hits and misses early - but the sheer volume will help them get a better sense of what they can get and goalpost their capabilities better, I think.

Not that I don't think we're not capable of getting great recruits. We're UConn, clearly we can. But the conference, recent failures - we're going to have to identify more of a 'type' really where we'll have sustained success. I guess in a way - establish what our floor is and a floor we can live with and work with before having some sense of what our ceiling is.

As we found out though, even in the past - recruiting can be an odd game of just being there and being present and showing kids you value them. I'm not sure we've done as good a job of that in recent years, so I expect this to all be good. We're doing everything we should be.

Isn't this exactly what we knocked Kevin Ollie for? Casting too wide a net?

C

Chief00

But you got to work the net. Additionally, when you do a deep dive on a player, you see there is a well thought out plan using a connection or a narrative. Even Chief has trouble keeping up with these dudes.

Reaction Score
Hurley’s final recruiting class at URI was top 30.

On Rosthein’s podcast he mentioned having a lot more time on his hands to recruit and gameplan being at UConn due to the relative ease scheduling OOC games. He’s going to be very dangerous on the trail for years to come.

In regards to scheduling, Hurley mentioned in the podcast that when he came to UConn the schedule for 18-19 was already set. Any idea when that’d typically released?

Reaction Score
More than his approach, I believe the main criticism is that he didn’t put a lot of effort into recruiting.

There’s a way to cast a wide net while also being smart about which recruits you prioritize. I don’t feel like Ollie ever found the balance between the two.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Fans care, but it's a fair question about whether recruits care about championship history.

They want to know a program can get guys to the league, something KO failed at spectacularly -- Hurley is unproven yet.
The combination of sending players to the NBA AND winning national championships is as good a selling point as you can have.

Saying you have championship ambitions, and being able to back that up with history, is a very unique selling point that not many schools have.

People, coaches, recruits respect the brand of UConn because of their championship history.

Reaction Score
More than his approach, I believe the main criticism is that he didn’t put a lot of effort into recruiting.

There’s a way to cast a wide net while also being smart about which recruits you prioritize. I don’t feel like Ollie ever found the balance between the two.
We never seemed to get good at closing in after casting the wide net and it seems like we always held out for plan A and lost plan B in the process.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is an even better hire than I thought. I'm very excited to see what he runs, and how much he can coach up the players he brings in, but he seems to be an even better recruiter than I hoped. He's willing UConn back into the conversation among the big boys. I'm absolutely pumped for the season to start.

Reaction Score
Of course they care about NCs. Good grief.

Exactly. Playing deep in March vastly improves the perception of you as a player. Think of Jeremy Lamb. He broke out on that 2011 run. He wasn't as highly projected before then. Napier too. They got to the NBA largely because of WINNING.

If Purvis and Jalen Adams had had that kind of success, they'd already have easier roads to the NBA.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Ollie made offers to tons of highly rated kids, who seemed to respond "yeah whatever" and weren't coming here. And he didn't seem to recognize that, and go after different kids. The difference already seems to be that Hurley is going after guys who are actually open to coming to UConn. So either he's targeting different highly rated players, or the coaching change has altered the perception those players have of UConn, or more likely, both.

Reaction Score
After the national championship in 2014 I expected a line of recruits stretching from KO’s office to the highway. He was the hottest property in college basketball. And of course this success led to the disastrous extension that haunts us all today. Yes we were AAC but we were a relevant blue blood where conference mattered not. Aside from Jalen, KO’s recruiting was dismal and reason enough for firing even though some of those classes were well thought of there were no major impact players (not transfers). It was like he swung and missed on everything then picked up what he could. Hurley can be the best coach on earth but he’s just not going to make it happen without getting some big talent, so these recruiting trips are everything. Hopefully he’s a closer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom