Zags: Dan Hurley revving up recruiting at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Zags: Dan Hurley revving up recruiting at UConn

MrP

Reaction Score
Yeah the myth that Ollie couldn’t recruit is frustrating. He had a top 15 class just two seasons ago. The problem was that none of them stayed. There’s a former McD’s AA and a potential conference POY still on the roster that he brought here. Not to mention Sid Wilson. Hard to square that with an argument that he couldn’t recruit.

KO had some great recruiting victories. They just all got injured or left. Definitely evaporated at the end though.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Ollie made offers to tons of highly rated kids, who seemed to respond "yeah whatever" and weren't coming here. And he didn't seem to recognize that, and go after different kids. The difference already seems to be that Hurley is going after guys who are actually open to coming to UConn. So either he's targeting different highly rated players, or the coaching change has altered the perception those players have of UConn, or more likely, both.

I certainly hope so but it seems like rationalization. I don't know how you're able to suss out the intention of 17 year olds via Instagram posts that say "Blessed to receive an offer from UConn!" But it's possible I'm missing the nuance. Anyways, I hope you're right.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
The article about Cockburn in January linked in Zag’s article makes it seem like he was waiting on Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky. I don’t think he last 2 will come calling in this deep of a class (Carey and Stewart are Duke leans and Kentucky will aim higher for Bassey, Koprivica, Wiseman, etc.). But Kansas is a real possibility. All bigs leaning their way are PF (Robinson-Earl, Hurt, Lawson). Hopefully Hurley can make a good connection with him early.

Reaction Score
What it seems to me, from the confines of my home mind you, is that Hurley is "targeting" specific players that fit his vision. While he is offering a good deal of guys, there seems to be a theme of sorts. He is focusing on the Northeast and is going after guys who have skill prior to brute athleticism. I always felt like KO had the opposite focus. He believed in the "positionless" concept and Furthermore, KO did cast an enormous net. It always seemed, however, that he was attempting to reel in fish that had no intention of coming here. He wasted tons and tons of time on guys like Stone, Gabriel, and Reddish when they were never going to come here. The Diallo situation, it seems was more on KO, but we missed out on guys who were legit interested to chase the white whale.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Yeah the myth that Ollie couldn’t recruit is frustrating. He had a top 15 class just two seasons ago. The problem was that none of them stayed. There’s a former McD’s AA and a potential conference POY still on the roster that he brought here. Not to mention Sid Wilson. Hard to square that with an argument that he couldn’t recruit.
Turn over was mostly a problem with kids from the hundreds/thousands of miles away. Most of his regional recruits stayed.

Reaction Score
What it seems to me, from the confines of my home mind you, is that Hurley is "targeting" specific players that fit his vision. While he is offering a good deal of guys, there seems to be a theme of sorts. He is focusing on the Northeast and is going after guys who have skill prior to brute athleticism. I always felt like KO had the opposite focus. He believed in the "positionless" concept and Furthermore, KO did cast an enormous net. It always seemed, however, that he was attempting to reel in fish that had no intention of coming here. He wasted tons and tons of time on guys like Stone, Gabriel, and Reddish when they were never going to come here. The Diallo situation, it seems was more on KO, but we missed out on guys who were legit interested to chase the white whale.

I disagree that Stone, Gabriel and Reddish were all wasted time. We had a very good shot at landing both Stone and Reddish (didn't really follow Gabriel's recruitment though). If not for Stone getting paid $$$$$$$$$ (which is confirmed), who knows what could've happened. Though no rumors yet on Reddish or other Duke recruits this year getting paid, wouldn't be surprised in the least bit for that stuff to come out over the next year or two.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fans care, but it's a fair question about whether recruits care about championship history.
They want to know a program can get guys to the league, something KO failed at spectacularly -- Hurley is unproven yet.
Of course they care about NCs. Good grief.

Point in fact, Championships helps significantly in getting guys to the league.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes. But we don't like Kevin Ollie.

Don't you get how the Boneyard works yet?
If you're this honest with your wife, no wonder you need to take her shopping to dot dot dot.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Kids these days seem to be really into retro stuff, more in-tune with Basketball history, particularly 90s history. We should play into that have like retro night at one of the games where we wear our old jerseys, maybe have Ray or Rip at the game sitting behind the bench. Maybe use the old happy husky logo at center court.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's too early to determine Hurley's effectiveness.

What I like so far is he had a plan for this season and got the players he targeted quickly. And personally I like his plan of taking two grad transfers plus the one player he's evaluated for quite some time. It's too risky to wait for better players even though I can almost guarantee some will come available. And it's foolish to fill three positions with 4 year players if you believe waiting one recruiting cycle improves the ability to get an impactful player.

I won't judge his recruiting ability based on the grad transfers performance next season. But I will judge his acumen watching Brendan's development. If anyone is excited about the Hurley hire than it stands to reason Brendan Adams is an exciting commitment because it's obvious this is one of the players he has been targeting for a while.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I disagree that Stone, Gabriel and Reddish were all wasted time. We had a very good shot at landing both Stone and Reddish (didn't really follow Gabriel's recruitment though). If not for Stone getting paid $$$$$$$$$ (which is confirmed), who knows what could've happened. Though no rumors yet on Reddish or other Duke recruits this year getting paid, wouldn't be surprised in the least bit for that stuff to come out over the next year or two.

Reddish always spoke very highly of KO, but once the story came out about him having lunch with LeBron and Rich Paul (LeBron’s agent), the writing was on the wall (it likely was a done deal much before that, but I kept a glimmer of hope alive).

The connections that Zags alludes to with both Achiuwa and Cockburn are a bit comforting. I also liked that one of the comps for Cockburn that was mentioned was Drummond...I’d imagine with Jimmy C back in a prominent role, we can use that angle to our advantage.

In any event, all the warm and fuzzies that we’re getting from the media during the Hurley Honeymoon phase is nothing but good for us. Hopefully he can lock up one or more of these big names early, a la Alterique (I had a few extra beverages on that July 4th in celebration) and we can just keep the momentum rolling.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That and that Hurley likes tall guards. That will be refreshing, although these are the kinds of players that Kemba, Bazz and Boat would stifle. Like most everyone else, I like what I'm seeing from Hurley, even though it is a very small sample.

UconnU

Reaction Score
That and that Hurley likes tall guards. That will be refreshing, although these are the kinds of players that Kemba, Bazz and Boat would stifle. Like most everyone else, I like what I'm seeing from Hurley, even though it is a very small sample.
The sense I get is that he prefers the smaller quicker guards as off the bench change of pace type players not primary options.

CL82

Reaction Score
The sense I get is that he prefers the smaller quicker guards as off the bench change of pace type players not primary options.
Interesting, makes sense. What do you base that on?

UconnU

Reaction Score
Interesting, makes sense. What do you base that on?
The way he used Marcus Burton at Wagner and Fatts Russell last year at URI.

CL82

Reaction Score
The way he used Marcus Burton at Wagner and Fatts Russell last year at URI.
I wonder if he uses Gilbert in that role this year. Gives him a chance to transition back.

UconnU

Reaction Score
I wonder if he uses Gilbert in that role this year. Gives him a chance to transition back.
That would make a lot of sense. I think Smith starts, he's the only true PG on the team and he ran this system in high school. I also believe having 2 senior guards starting gives us the best chance of winning. If I had to guess the starting lineup would look something like Smith, Adams, Wilson, Polley, Carlton with Gilbert, Vital*, Adams, Yawke, Diarra in the rotation.

Reaction Score
If you think about it, Ollie's ability to recruit shined a bigger spotlight on his inability to coach effectively. He brought in some talented recruiting classes (excluding last year) but never managed to do much with them.

When you say "never managed to do much with them" -- with them meaning recruiting classes -- exactly how many recruiting classes did he have for their full four years at UConn? And when you answer that (the answer is all of 2), think about your use of "never."

KO is gone. How much longer do we have to listen to the incessant constant exaggeration of everything he ever did in his life?

Reaction Score
The 2019 class is going to be unreal. We have a real shot at Lecque, Quinones, Mulcahy, Delaire, Achiuwa, Akok, and Cockburn. Give me any 4 of those and I am beyond happy.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
That would make a lot of sense. I think Smith starts, he's the only true PG on the team and he ran this system in high school. I also believe having 2 senior guards starting gives us the best chance of winning. If I had to guess the starting lineup would look something like Smith, Adams, Wilson, Polley, Carlton with Gilbert, Vital*, Adams, Yawke, Diarra in the rotation.

Amazing to me how quickly people forget how highly-regarded Gilbert was, how talented he is, and how well he played in his limited action last year before getting re-injured vs MSU.

If he's healthy, he starts at PG.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Amazing to me how quickly people forget how highly-regarded Gilbert was, how talented he is, and how well he played in his limited action last year before getting re-injured vs MSU.

If he's healthy, he starts at PG.
Oh he's probably the most talented player on the roster but with 4 consecutive years injuring the same shoulder he will be EASED back into the rotation, as he should.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom