Z the Big Jump coming to UConn | The Boneyard

Z the Big Jump coming to UConn

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
So Z is not living up to some fans expectations. Some expected her to come here and be a first team AA. Lets be patient guys. She's got tremendous potential that needs to be developed. Its a big jump to come from one team and then to come to UConn. UConn is the next level and Z transferred here for that reason, to get better, to be part of something special, to be developed and to become a better player and yes to be an AA. Now shes working on it and although you havent seen the results yet it will happen it takes time. Geno will develop Z and she will be great. You see her smile. Smiling is one of the greatest assets an athlete can have because it relaxes you and clears your mind.

There is a learning curve when you come to UConn and it takes time to get there. Do you have any idea how long it takes ? No I dont. But I know if you keep on practicing hard for a long time it will eventually come together. Remember my ole saying about being successful..."you will pay a huge price, and you will pay it in advance and there are no guarantees." Many of you thought when Diana got here, when Breanna got here when Maya got here they would walk in to the starting lineup and be great. They didnt. It took time.

When you see Z shooting treys and dont think she should remember this Geno wants her to shoot treys and if he didnt he would have her sitting on the bench. When you see Z running the fast break be happy we have a big who can handle the ball. Think about this. When Lou and Camara get back we will have the best high low game in WCBB.

So all I can say is...we were concerned about not having a big now we have a really good one. So be patient and watch her develop under the UConn system and Im sure by March she will be the prize many of you had hoped for.

GO Huskies

Reaction Score
So Z is not living up to some fans expectations. Some expected her to come here and be a first team AA. Lets be patient guys. She's got tremendous potential that needs to be developed. Its a big jump to come from one team and then to come to UConn. UConn is the next level and Z transferred here for that reason, to get better, to be part of something special, to be developed and to become a better player and yes to be an AA. Now shes working on it and although you havent seen the results yet it will happen it takes time. Geno will develop Z and she will be great. You see her smile. Smiling is one of the greatest assets an athlete can have because it relaxes you and clears your mind.

There is a learning curve when you come to UConn and it takes time to get there. Do you have any idea how long it takes ? No I dont. But I know if you keep on practicing hard for a long time it will eventually come together. Remember my ole saying about being successful..."you will pay a huge price, and you will pay it in advance and there are no guarantees." Many of you thought when Diana got here, when Breanna got here when Maya got here they would walk in to the starting lineup and be great. They didnt. It took time.

When you see Z shooting treys and dont think she should remember this Geno wants her to shoot treys and if he didnt he would have her sitting on the bench. When you see Z running the fast break be happy we have a big who can handle the ball. Think about this. When Lou and Camara get back we will have the best high low game in WCBB.

So all I can say is...we were concerned about not having a big now we have a really good one. So be patient and watch her develop under the UConn system and Im sure by March she will be the prize many of you had hoped for.

GO Huskies
Actually Maya was great from day one--the exception that proves the rule! Breanna was really good and then went backwards. I won't forget the Baylor game that I attended where the Huskies were better when she wasn't in the lineup. As I recall D took some time to get used to the idea that she was only one of many scoring options on that team. Tina Charles is another great example--took her a long time but she sure got there. Your point is an excellent one Tony--just thought I'd add a little color.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the optimistic post and I share your view on this one. There seemed to be some disappointment about her performance against UCLA , some of which is understandable. In watching the replay what was noticeable on the defensive end was how she disrupted the development of plays with her movement and altered shots with her size. Huge upside here. There were a couple of lapses but that will become a focus for Geno and staff. Just look at KLS's defensive growth and one can imagine the possibilities with Z.
On the offensive side, she was just ok. Like Gabby in her early playing time, Z was a bit tentative and probably thinking too much and not reacting. There's a great chance this gets corrected, particularly against a soft AAC schedule which should help her confidence. Net -net, IMO she was a significant asset against UCLA and will continue to get better to the point where she will be back in the discussion of one of the most important players on the team.

Reaction Score

GO Huskies
Tony, I'd be a fool to disagree with you and most of what you say is accurate and the fact in the UCLA game, Z was desperately needed and, while not perfection, did some great things. Uconn may not survive this season without her, but with her they will be champions.

Now--for the opposing view: Scorer/Shooters--shoot and score. You don't lose your knowledge of scoring or your muscle memory required to shoot every time accurately when you transfer. We have seen moments--in the MD game she flashed to the basket--with an amazing drive, missed the layup.
Her shots are close, but close only counts in horseshoes. She came to UConn with lots of hype, and Geno has spoken wildly about her gifts--all of which compounds the Fan problem for Azura. We expect her to be as Geno and Duke proclaimed. Our expectations are built around what EXPERTS told us.

My take on her less than expected scoring--i.e. to fully replace Katie Lou--is she is working too hard to please Geno. She has defensive issues and tries to please, which gets into her offensive game. If Geno backs off , which is hard when he sees easy things to fix defensively, her head may let her muscles take over and she'l be the scorer she truly is. If she stops thinking of pleasing and just plays--look out---just a thought..

Reaction Score
Actually Maya was great from day one--the exception that proves the rule! Breanna was really good and then went backwards. I won't forget the Baylor game that I attended where the Huskies were better when she wasn't in the lineup. As I recall D took some time to get used to the idea that she was only one of many scoring options on that team. Tina Charles is another great example--took her a long time but she sure got there. Your point is an excellent one Tony--just thought I'd add a little color.

Maya was amazing, but not perfect. Geno had issues with her; she wanted to be a perimeter or Jump shooter. Geno wanted her to attack and rumble under the basket. Then there is the omni-present ubiquitous Defensive issues of new to Uconn players--Maya had them too.

Reaction Score
Tony, I'd be a fool to disagree with you and most of what you say is accurate and the fact in the UCLA game, Z was desperately needed and, while not perfection, did some great things. Uconn may not survive this season without her, but with her they will be champions.

Now--for the opposing view: Scorer/Shooters--shoot and score. You don't lose your knowledge of scoring or your muscle memory required to shoot every time accurately when you transfer. We have seen moments--in the MD game she flashed to the basket--with an amazing drive, missed the layup.
Her shots are close, but close only counts in horseshoes. She came to UConn with lots of hype, and Geno has spoken wildly about her gifts--all of which compounds the Fan problem for Azura. We expect her to be as Geno and Duke proclaimed. Our expectations are built around what EXPERTS told us.

My take on her less than expected scoring--i.e. to fully replace Katie Lou--is she is working too hard to please Geno. She has defensive issues and tries to please, which gets into her offensive game. If Geno backs off , which is hard when he sees easy things to fix defensively, her head may let her muscles take over and she'l be the scorer she truly is. If she stops thinking of pleasing and just plays--look out---just a thought..

frankly, I never bought into the hype that AS was going to have a POY kind of season............to do that within a new system under intense scrutiny is just a bridge too far.............she's a really good player that can do more then most 6'6" kids can but if she averages 12/6/3 in 20-25 minutes per game this year I'll be perfectly satisfied.............next year my expectations will be 18/9/4

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When you are being developed at any sport and you have a coach who is working with you and tweaking you you have a tendency to think to much. Your mind is preoccupied trying to do what he wants you to do. Thus you make simple mistakes that you would normally not make. Example missed layups or wide open shots. Its all part of your development. Until those lessons become instinctive, reflexive until you dont think about what to do and just let it happen youve arrived. Read the thread above about what Geno said to Collier and you may understand why she struggled the first few games. When your playing and you make a mistake or miss an easy shot its sticks in your mind because you know what you were taught to do but it didnt happen. While the play is over and you continue to think about it it affects the rest of your game. Kinda like when your trying to go to sleep and you have something in your mind and you cant get to sleep. So I will give everybody a pass when theyre learning and be patient waiting for them to get it. Remember also that Z has 2 years to at UConn. It took MoJeff a little over 2 years to emerge it took Stewie about 2 years so for Z I would think we will see alot of improvement by March and next season should be off the charts. Also remember this is UConn. As good as transfers are at other programs they are not UConn good until Geno finishes with them. One other point UConn is blowing teams away right now, top teams and UConn isnt where theyre gonna be in a couple of weeks. Kinda scary to think about that.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the optimistic post and I share your view on this one. There seemed to be some disappointment about her performance against UCLA , some of which is understandable. In watching the replay what was noticeable on the defensive end was how she disrupted the development of plays with her movement and altered shots with her size. Huge upside here. There were a couple of lapses but that will become a focus for Geno and staff. Just look at KLS's defensive growth and one can imagine the possibilities with Z.
On the offensive side, she was just ok. Like Gabby in her early playing time, Z was a bit tentative and probably thinking too much and not reacting. There's a great chance this gets corrected, particularly against a soft AAC schedule which should help her confidence. Net -net, IMO she was a significant asset against UCLA and will continue to get better to the point where she will be back in the discussion of one of the most important players on the team.
I agree with you. I think Z is performing pretty well, especially when one considers the steep nature of the learning curve going from Coach P. to Geno. But one of the things I've "learned" from following the majority of posts on our forum is that, contrary to all previously held notions, basketball is only played at one end of the court. Scoring is the only barometer of success, or lack thereof. Defense? Nah...don't count! This team boasts the absolute, unchallenged number one defensive player in the country, who happens also to be a highlight reel rebounder and an assist factory, but who tends to be judged mainly by the relative success of her midrange jumper. What can I tell you? Personally, I'm pretty heartened by the fact that Z's defense appears to be ahead of her offense at this early stage...the emergence of the latter is a pure inevitability!

Reaction Score
I really don’t have issue with Z’s play on either end of the court. In the UCLA game I have issue with a couple of her turnovers. These weren’t caused by good defense but by Z’s lack of focus by rushing and not being aware of where the defense was. That was a tad aggravating.

Reaction Score
I think that Z is feeling a tremendous amount of pressure. With all the expectations on her, with all the challenges of learning to function in a new (to her) system, with the difficulty of co-creating a smooth team chemistry on two ends of the court, with all the attention to her individual performance, with all the attention to the team, I'm not at all surprised that she has had some less-than-stellar stretches. But she's talented, determined, positive, and has the best coaches and teammates in the country, so I agree that the best of Z is yet to come.

Reaction Score
The difference between Azura, Wilson and KLS is that she isn't the center piece of the offense. Her numbers would be very much different if she were the offensive focus. Unfortunately while at Uconn, she will be tertiary at least- behind KLS and Collier.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I prefer my basketball posts Stewart (synonym for intense) and Dolson (synonym for just plain NASTY!). Give me some intense nasty! Per Geno Azurá is a laid back nice person who needs to develop an intense on court personality with some nasty. Aggressive would be good as well. My high school football coach wanted kids who were agile, mobile, and hostile. Apparently this came from a Texas A&M coach back in the day that our coach idolized.

Last edited:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I was going to start a new thread on the progress of Z, but there are so many threads already in here where her name is constantly mentioned, no sense in duplicating efforts, Instead, I'll just post my thoughts here...

1) Z is not a freshman, she also had the luxury of practicing and learning with the team for a full year, so I don't get the still trying to learn the Uconn system excuse, She's basically in the same position as Dangerfield and the other two sophomores but with more skill and height..

2) The reason why everyone has had such high expectations from Z is because her coaches have been singing her praises for over a year now, as to how dominant she has been at times in practice. And Geno has always stated you play how you practice, unfortunately, we are yet to see her dominance for a full 40 mins in a real game, though I do believe it's going to happen as long as she keeps trying to improve and not lose confidence.

3) Geno objective is to make Z a better player each day, we all know at heart Z is comfortable playing the small Forward position, her struggle from my untrained eye is the ability to effectively put herself in position offensively to acquire more rebounds or develop her post play, She doesn't seem to have the same lower body strength as Collier who pretty much will get to any position she wants on the floor. It appears to me when trying to post players she is easily moved and is not quite as balanced with a lower center of gravity.

3b) Because of the current struggle with the post, Which I believe she finds exhausting with all the effort required to gain a positional advantage she tends to settle to her old habits and roam more on the perimeter, which leaves two options, Shoot the three which unfortunately haven't been falling so far.., fatigue perhaps? or take her player off the dribble. Both of which she is capable of doing, but doesn't help her to progress as a complete player. Geno will not settle for that, as Z did say she wants to be a complete player.

With all that said, She is a special player who has an opportunity to do great things in this program. Precious and Katie-Lou, however, are the ones battling for player of the year from my early observations, Unless Gabby decides to have something to say about that, because just like Z and the other two, Gabby has the ability to dominate games with her Athletic ability.

Question: Who runs the floor better, Stewie or Z? :)

Reaction Score
I was going to start a new thread on the progress of Z, but there are so many threads already in here where her name is constantly mentioned, no sense in duplicating efforts, Instead, I'll just post my thoughts here...

1) Z is not a freshman, she also had the luxury of practicing and learning with the team for a full year, so I don't get the still trying to learn the Uconn system excuse, She's basically in the same position as Dangerfield and the other two sophomores but with more skill and height..

2) The reason why everyone has had such high expectations from Z is because her coaches have been singing her praises for over a year now, as to how dominant she has been at times in practice. And Geno has always stated you play how you practice, unfortunately, we are yet to see her dominance for a full 40 mins in a real game, though I do believe it's going to happen as long as she keeps trying to improve and not lose confidence.

3) Geno objective is to make Z a better player each day, we all know at heart Z is comfortable playing the small Forward position, her struggle from my untrained eye is the ability to effectively put herself in position offensively to acquire more rebounds or develop her post play, She doesn't seem to have the same lower body strength as Collier who pretty much will get to any position she wants on the floor. It appears to me when trying to post players she is easily moved and is not quite as balanced with a lower center of gravity.

3b) Because of the current struggle with the post, Which I believe she finds exhausting with all the effort required to gain a positional advantage she tends to settle to her old habits and roam more on the perimeter, which leaves two options, Shoot the three which unfortunately haven't been falling so far.., fatigue perhaps? or take her player off the dribble. Both of which she is capable of doing, but doesn't help her to progress as a complete player. Geno will not settle for that, as Z did say she wants to be a complete player.

With all that said, She is a special player who has an opportunity to do great things in this program. Precious and Katie-Lou, however, are the ones battling for player of the year from my early observations, Unless Gabby decides to have something to say about that, because just like Z and the other two, Gabby has the ability to dominate games with her Athletic ability.

Question: Who runs the floor better, Stewie or Z? :)
Is this a serious question? Stewie ran the floor much better.

Reaction Score
Z is doing fine. She's running with a fast crowd and she's keeping up. She can shoot from anywhere. She's tough under the boards. She has guard skills and guard moves. She's fast.

There's not much spotlight time remaining by the time Crystal, Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, Lou and the rest have grabbed their rightful shares of it.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I too thought people were putting Stevens in an unfortunate position. She played for a team who seems to have taught her very little about going hard and the intricacies of great defense. Uconn level of effort alone is far superior to anything these kids have ever seen. It does take a special type of player to be able to embrace it. I actually also think Wilson would have problems with it as her effort IMO is no where near that of Uconn.

Reaction Score
frankly, I never bought into the hype that AS was going to have a POY kind of season..to do that within a new system under intense scrutiny is just a bridge too far...she's a really good player that can do more then most 6'6" kids can but if she averages 12/6/3 in 20-25 minutes per game this year I'll be perfectly satisfied...next year my expectations will be 18/9/4

I agree with your expectations, as were mine. I also buy into TonyC's belief she'll evolve. within this system. Below or above where ever this goes, Tony again speaks of the intense scrutiny from Fans and (I believe ) Geno's demand. She has been here a little over a year, but with 3 years of Div 1 performances. Tony--and I agree--thinks --Azura thinks to much. I played a bit, certainly not at this level, but my shot rarely went in when I thought of how to do it and my in game action were clumsy when I thought of what I'd do--usually my thought allowed time for the game to change in front of me.

Now, you can argue Azura is more intelligent than I--more than likely true--more talented, without a doubt, sees things I don't , all true. The most salient thing in your post was the 12/6/3 that should make you and all satisfied.
Azura Stevens gives Uconn things we didn't have: A post threat, offensively and defensively. A post that opponents know (from Duke) she can score on the perimeter. Anything she does down low gives Napheesa and Gabby an opportunity to score, rebound. That alone is worth anything MS Azura Stevens does on the floor. Before January we shall see a MS Stevens that is the envy of any Div one--and (unfortunately) all WNBA GM's.

Reaction Score
The difference between Azura, Wilson and KLS is that she isn't the center piece of the offense. Her numbers would be very much different if she were the offensive focus. Unfortunately while at Uconn, she will be tertiary at least- behind KLS and Collier.
As she evolves don't be surprised if Geno uses her as the Go To post--with the right moves she is near impossible to stop. The team needs to feed her properly where she needs it and she needs to learn where and how they will pass. Chemistry. When that happens --look out. Many passes to her were not where she could catch them. Napheesa is more athletic/mobile --Danger, Gabby, Kia pass to Z as they would Napheesa--Chemistry adjustment.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Several points in the preceding posts:
1. NONE incoming UConn newbies did hit the floor as polished products, not by Geno's standards, and that includes the mighty Maya, who, along with DT, was the most naturally gifted first-year player. Recall Geno's complaints that she needed to upgrade her ball-handling and her defense. Initially, she was too content to put up 3's and not drive to the hoop. She didn't know when or where to make cuts and was too easily found by defenses. She did evolve and grow her offensive options, but it took well into her sophomore year.
2. UConn's offense does not come with cookie-cutter instructions, one of the reasons that new point guards take so long to master it. It takes time to learn how to read defenses, different opponents' tendencies, your own teammates' strengths and habits and needs. That's darned hard, a never-ending learning curve. (See Maya above.)
3. It takes a tremendous amount of confidence to play decisively, not fall into hesitation and self-doubt when the standards are set so high.
I seriously doubt that any one on this forum has had first-hand experience of just how demanding it is to function within— forget mastering— something as demanding as the UConn offensive system, all the while being put on a national stage and subject to unrelenting analysis by demanding coaches and even more demanding fans. A little patience, please.

Reaction Score
It sounds like a lot of posters agree that Z is work in progress and will end up in an exceptional place. One other point about the benefits of her being on the floor is how she can spread it. When she is at the top of the key or around it the team is often trying to isolate Phee in the low post. While there were some hiccups on a couple of lobs into the middle, IMO its a strategy worth pursuing. Z usually will bring the opponents big out to guard her. This leaves Phee, who may be the best in WCB when she gets the ball one on one in the post, in a position to use her lower body strength and wingspan to win her match up. We will probably see more of this in the future.

Reaction Score
Z is doing fine. She's running with a fast crowd and she's keeping up. She can shoot from anywhere. She's tough under the boards. She has guard skills and guard moves. She's fast.

There's not much spotlight time remaining by the time Crystal, Kia, Gabby, Pheesa, Lou and the rest have grabbed their rightful shares of it.
Fan...exactly right, and the beauty of it is, she doesn't "need" the spotlight. As Geno said, she's "too nice"...once she begins to be a bit more comfortable in the normal flow of things, the "push back" we're witnessing on the board will disappear. As far as her offense goes, perhaps it's just from where I sit. But, more than a few times, she's been in perfect position in the paint for a pass, but it wasn't forthcoming. My guess is, it's been awhile since we've had that kind of target. Lobbing it in to 6'6", is something they'll have to get used to. And, when the day comes that our "3"s aren't falling, it'll be a weapon of first resort.
Maya's entry pass to Tina was one thing rarely mentioned here, but, was not only a key to Tina's development, but also to her and the team's success . I can only hope we begin to do the same with "Z".

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
So Z is not living up to some fans expectations. Some expected her to come here and be a first team AA. Lets be patient guys. She's got tremendous potential that needs to be developed.

I'm with you Tony... It's early; too early to make a judgment. Coming to UConn was a step she took feeling it could make her a better player. Cut her some slack...

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
From what I have seen, it's 50-50. She will make a good play, and then a few seconds later do something that is really annoying......let's hope she comes around.

Reaction Score
Geno expects his team to 'read and react' much more so than other teams. That takes time especially to be in sync with your teammates. I have no doubt it will come.

Your statement brought up a Napheesa/Precious Collier's move in the UCLA game: She was driving to the basket, an opponent step in front of her, to take a charge, Napheesa dribbled once, stepped left and laid the ball in all in one sweet movement. Seeing the floor!! Most players would have just gone into the charge ---block--call.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom