YouTube highlight reels are stupid, but... | The Boneyard

YouTube highlight reels are stupid, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just watch the block about 20 seconds into this clip.

Kid's name is Kwe Parker - top 50 kid from 2016.

Out of curiosity, I watched a couple more clips - during a few dunks, he turns his head while dunking because he has some concern that he's about to hit his face on the rim. He's 6'2 - this is not a normal athlete.

Reaction Score

Kid's name is Kwe Parker - top 50 kid from 2016.

Out of curiosity, I watched a couple more clips - during a few dunks, he turns his head while dunking because he has some concern that he's about to hit his face on the rim. He's 6'2 - this is not a normal athlete.

Great stuff but not shocking at all. Boatright does this all the time and he is only 5 10.

Reaction Score
Great stuff but not shocking at all. Boatright does this all the time and he is only 5 10.
No. Look at the thumbnail. Top of kid's head is literally above the rim. Even with 4 more inches Boat doesn't get that high.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wow!!!

Reminds me of some of the clips of John Gwynn when he played at DeMatha. Granted there weren't any highlight reels or YouTube back then, but I remember reading write-ups in Bob Gibbons All-Star Sports publications. Gibbons' words in the 1986 came to life in that video.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wow!!!

Reminds me of some of the clips of John Gwynn when he played at DeMatha. Granted there weren't any highlight reels or YouTube back then, but I remember reading write-ups in Bob Gibbons All-Star Sports publications. Gibbons' words in the 1986 came to life in that video.
I don't recall Gwynn having great hops. I think Boat is far more impressive considering his height.

Reaction Score
Wow!!!

Len Bias maybe?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't recall Gwynn having great hops. I think Boat is far more impressive considering his height.
Len Bias maybe?

Gwynn is a horrible comparison but every time someone shows a video of a recruit it's required that a poster make a completely off the wall, incomprehensible comparison.

I figured I'd get it out of the way early in the thread.

If he's really 6'2", then the most accurate comparison would be Ben Gordon.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
This kid has more hops than Boatright, Gordon or Gwynn. Ben and Boat have springs, but Parker has wings.

Craziest vertical I ever saw was Dennis Johnson's little brother afraid playing in an NAIA national championship game for Grand Canyon in the 80s that I randomly watched on ESPN. Kid was 5-9 and had a 50-inch vertical. I googled and another of his little brothers (Joey) was 6-4 and had about the same vertical and dunked on a hoop that was 11-9 (he's the dad of Nick Johnson, so his exploits have become more talked about now). I never saw Joey, but Craig's vertical was insane - he blocked a shot way above the rim in that game I watched.

Strange that Dennis was so earthbound, but obviously the best of the bunch.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

Ball was clearly on the way down. Would have been goal tending if it had actually been a shot. I think it was really an alley oop attempt. The guy it was meant for comes flying in from the right after Parker casually goes higher than the laws of physics or rational thought say he should be able to and swats the pass away.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember David Thompson?

For me the first highlight reel as I started watching college hoops. He was a tremendous athlete and one of the best ever. Little Monty Towe to him were the first alley oops I saw!

Then soon after Louisville had Darrell Griffiths who was similar but not quite David!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For me the first highlight reel as I started watching college hoops. He was a tremendous athlete and one of the best ever. Little Monty Towe to him were the first alley oops I saw!

Then soon after Louisville had Darrell Griffiths who was similar but not quite David!

I had Dr. Dunkenstein on my ceiling as a kid. It was the holy grail of posters for me. Darrell Griffith, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and George Gervin as the Iceman on his throne.

drdunkenstein1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Griffith

Here's a funny one for everyone too young-

Griffith transformed his offensive game, adding long-distance shooting skills to his aerial acrobatics. He led the league in three-point shooting (36.1 percent) and set an NBA record for most three-pointers made in a single season (91). His new abilities earned him a new nickname: Utah's play-by-play announcer Hot Rod Hundley began calling him "The Golden Griff".

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I had Dr. Dunkenstein on my ceiling as a kid. It was the holy grail of posters for me. Darrell Griffith, Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka and George Gervin as the Iceman on his throne.
f".
We must be roughly the same age (46). I had both dr. Dunkenstein & Iceman posters in my room too.
image.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We must be roughly the same age (46). I had both dr. Dunkenstein & Iceman posters in my room too. View attachment 7926

You've got me by a couple of years but I'm right on your tail.

So, we've shown Dr. Dunkenstein and the Iceman. Here's the Superfly poster I had in the middle.

mfl6UociOzJ6PUcw-1_LZgQ.jpg

Reaction Score
He can shoot and handle the ball well too. I saw a clip of him dominating the show boating Corey Sanders. It was fun to see a show off be humbled by a true baller.

Reaction Score
You've got me by a couple of years but I'm right on your tail.

So, we've shown Dr. Dunkenstein and the Iceman. Here's the Superfly poster I had in the middle.

mfl6UociOzJ6PUcw-1_LZgQ.jpg
Looks like he could dunk too.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Michael Wilson from Memphis was the guy I always think of for superhuman hops. Dude had a 50+" vert. Now he runs the weave with the globetrotters.

Reaction Score
Yeah I do. Does that make me officially old?

I was just going to type "Holy David Thompson" when I saw your post.
Anyone remember Bill Battle from Middletown, mid-late '60s? ~5'7" and jumped center. Unfortunately, no dunking allowed then (Thanks Lew).

Reaction Score
Saw this kid in a dunk contest this year where Kemba was a judge. He was Kemba's pick to win it, he didn't but the 6'2" I think is generous, which makes how high he gets up even more impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom