Youth National Teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Youth National Teams

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The list for the U19 US team is out.

Whoa, the u16's from that team in Chile just graduated into the big time, with these trials. Betts, Citron, Miles, Verhulst, please meet Ms. Fudd and Clark. Good experience for all. I'll now tip the hat to our two Irish representatives:

Reaction Score
Whoa, the u16's from that team in Chile just graduated into the big time, with these trials. Betts, Citron, Miles, Verhulst, please meet Ms. Fudd and Clark. Good experience for all. I'll now tip the hat to our two Irish representatives:

FWIW, Westbeld was on the list I saw a few days ago. Perhaps she opted out last minute for some reason.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
FWIW, Westbeld was on the list I saw a few days ago. Perhaps she opted out last minute for some reason.

Thanks for that...I've got to admit, I was wondering about Maddy. She certainly had a year to merit consideration.

Reaction Score
Look at the names on that list. And to pair it to 12...whew!

Reaction Score
Does the fact that there is a U19 FIBA tournament this summer help explain the paucity of freshmen invited to the USA AmeriCup Team Trials a few weeks ago?
Most likely.
Thanks for that...I've got to admit, I was wondering about Maddy. She certainly had a year to merit consideration.
Could it be possible that she's too old for the age group? I had assumed Van Lith would have been on this list until a friend pointed out that she'll be 20 by the time of the tournament.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I had assumed Van Lith would have been on this list until a friend pointed out that she'll be 20 by the time of the tournament.
This explains why Hailey Van Lith was at the AmeriCup Trials but other stand out freshmen were not.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Could it be possible that she's too old for the age group? I had assumed Van Lith would have been on this list until a friend pointed out that she'll be 20 by the time of the tournament.

Maddy Westbeld is 19. DOB is February 10, 2002.

So, in this case, it wasn't age. Haven't heard anything about injuries or illnesses, so it could be something else that came up or posed a (big) conflict. Obviously, ND Coach Niele Ivey supports her players being part of this given Citron and Miles' participation in the tryouts (at the very least).

Thanks for finding her DOB.

Reaction Score
The list for the U19 US team is out.

Here is the list of U19 invitees by college commitment. Oregon State is in very good company with Stanford, UCONN, Notre Dame, and South Carolina as the only colleges with more than 1 invited player!!! Good luck Beavers...hope both gals make the squad this weekend!

Lauren Betts, Brooke Demetre - Stanford
Alexis Donarski - Iowa State
Sonia Citron, Olivia Miles - Notre Dame
Amari DeBerry, Azzi Fudd, Ayanna Patterson - UCONN

Caitlin Clark - Iowa
Gabrielle Elliott - Clemson
Sania Feagin, Raven Johnson - South Carolina
Hannah Gusters - LSU
Diamond Johnson - NC State
JerKaila Jordan - Mississippi State
Greta Kampschroeder, Talia von Oelhoffen - Oregon State
Madison Layden - Purdue
Jordyn Merritt - Florida
Ugonne Onyiah - California
Te-hina Paopao - Oregon
Angel Reese - Maryland
Jewel Spear - Wake Forest
Payton Verhulst - Louisville
Sakima Walker - Rutgers
Lauren Ware - Arizona
Jersey Wolfenbarger - Arkansas

Reaction Score
Sue Phillips (Archbishop Mitty) is now coaching the U16 national team after Shibles was named the head coach at Dartmouth:

Reaction Score
Per twitter, the U-19 tryouts over the weekend ended in a group of 9 players being officially named to the squad: Betts, Citron, Clark, Feagin, Fudd, D Johnson, Paopao, Jewel Spear, and Verhulst.

In addition, 5 athletes were invited back to the July training camp to compete for the remaining 3 spots on the roster: DeBerry, Reese, Ware, Westbeld, and Wolfenbarger (Westbeld did not make it to the tryout this past weekend, asked for a waiver, and was granted one). Looks to me like they have settled on their guards and a post or two, and they are looking at W/F/P depth?

Only name that surprises me a little is Spear, but I only saw her early in the season last winter, so I don't really know how much her game took off over the year.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Only name that surprises me a little is Spear, but I only saw her early in the season last winter, so I don't really know how much her game took off over the year.
I saw Spear play a few times and she was very steady, averaging just under 11 ppg and shooting pretty much 40% across the board from the field and more than 80% from the line. She was lucky to have a savvy veteran guard in Gina Conti to control the ebb and flow of the game, Still, she was a contributor in most the games I saw, particularly when teams focued on Conti and/or Ivana Raca.

Her role at Wake last year and, I suspect, on this team is long distance shooting. She took 145 of them last season for the Demon Deacons and my guess is she'll find some space behind the line while other teams fret about Clark and follow Johnson into the lane. Skip pass to the line and Spear!

Think Maddy Westbeld can get to show her stuff in July and -- knock on wood -- then can add a variety of skills and assets to this team, from rebounding and inside play to good court sense and passing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any word on the U16s?

When do the U19s play?
For U16: "Trials to select the 12-member team will be held June 13-16 in Indianapolis, Indiana."

For U19: "Featuring U19 teams from 16 nations, the 2021 FIBA U19 World Cup for Women is scheduled to be held Aug. 7-15 in Debrecen, Hungary."

In addition: "Additionally, five finalists will return to the USA’s training camp, which begins on July 19 at a site to be announced, in hopes of securing one of the remaining three roster spots."

Reaction Score
Kind of interesting to see Mississippi State new transfer guard via Tulane on the list (Jerkaila Jordan). I think that was a solid pickup.
Yes. Obviously the most attention has been given to Anastasia Hayes. However A Jones from Temple and J Jordan from Tulane both have solid resumes. Logically the safe money is M Taylor and A Hayes will win two of the three guard positions. However I’ll be interested to see if Jones or Jordan will capture the third position.
After a very disappointing first season, J Jordan making this team, combined with the solid offseason so far, would be another glimmer of hope for the coming season.

Reaction Score
The final U19 roster release was today - of the 5 "finalists," DeBerry, Ware, and Wolfenbarger were selected. Westbeld and Reese "are no longer able to participate" - not sure what that means.

2021 USA Women's U19 World Cup Team Announced

DC for practice, then Spain, and ultimately Hungary for the World Cup in August.

Reaction Score
As far as U-19 goes through 2 games It's been interesting.

Lauren Betts coming off the bench to me is odd. I have picked up a lot of respect for her game in first couple (no disrespect before, just hadn't seen her). She is going to be tough to deal with. Not sure why Ware is getting the starting nod. Doesn't seem merited to me.

I think Diamond Johnson is going to have a really big impact for NC State. I think she's a dimension they didn't have and I think they are one of the maybe 4-6 schools that could win the title.

did not know as much about Citron before but enjoy her game in this setting. She seems to make the right plays and have a lot of skills.

Fudd has been good but everyone is kind of taking a back seat to Clarke's trigger happiness (not a bad thing - it's clearly her team offensively).

Reaction Score
As far as U-19 goes through 2 games It's been interesting.

Lauren Betts coming off the bench to me is odd. I have picked up a lot of respect for her game in first couple (no disrespect before, just hadn't seen her). She is going to be tough to deal with. Not sure why Ware is getting the starting nod. Doesn't seem merited to me.

I think Diamond Johnson is going to have a really big impact for NC State. I think she's a dimension they didn't have and I think they are one of the maybe 4-6 schools that could win the title.

did not know as much about Citron before but enjoy her game in this setting. She seems to make the right plays and have a lot of skills.

Fudd has been good but everyone is kind of taking a back seat to Clarke's trigger happiness (not a bad thing - it's clearly her team offensively).
Agree on all counts. So far, it seems like Clark has never met a shot she doesn't like (and wouldn't take). Citron has impressed me. I still think that Verhulst is better, but I think Citron is really showing well. Fudd is coming off a minor knock (as is DeBerry, evidently), and I haven't seen much of them before (maybe I'm the only one!), so it's hard for me to judge. Betts has impressed me. I think she's going to be a problem when she matures.

Reaction Score
From a South Carolina perspective, Feagin has been coming off the bench with Betts.

She moves very well and is very engaged on defense. Has had a fair number of strips and blocks.

Offensively, in the two games I've seen, she's been playing a tad bit too fast and has missed some bunnies. But she has nice hands and can handle it.

She comes in with Betts and the guards do fling it so she has not been an offensive focus but plenty here to work with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom