Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Your Stand Up Comedian Mt Rushmore

Reaction Score
I'll take a side track. If you had to include one woman in the Rushmore Four, who would it be?

Phyllis Diller? Joan Rivers? Roseanne Barr? Amy Shumer?
Whoopi Goldberg?

Reaction Score
For female comic's: Joan Rivers was my favorite.

But the 'Queen of Mean" Lisa Lampanelli was fearless & smart. To Hulk Hogan at a roast: "Listen, it's the sound of a 19 year-old's ba--s hitting your ex-wife's chin."

Other great female stand-ups: Gracie Allen, Elaine Boozler, Phyllis Diller.

Last edited:

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Surprised at the Chapelle love. He was much better at screenplay and sketch comedy than he was stand up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For female comic's: Joan Rivers was my favorite. But the 'Queen of Mean" Lisa Lampanelli was fearless & smart. To Hulk Hogan at a roast: "Listen, it's the sound of a 19 year-old's ba--s hitting your ex-wife's chin."

I don't find that funny. At all.

Reaction Score
Carlin, Pryor and Chappelle.

I think all 3 are transcendents and at their peaks, operated on an entirely different level than the rest of their contemporaries.

Reaction Score
Surprised at the Chapelle love. He was much better at screenplay and sketch comedy than he was stand up.
Oh man, I completely disagree. He is a genius at taking touchy topics and flirting with the "edge". And he can take an audience and push and pull them wherever he wants to take them. His brain is next level.

Reaction Score
There's a certain vein of stand up that's roasting. Don Rickles. Greg Giraldo. Jeff Ross. There's a skill to really hitting a nerve. Lisa Lampanelli is pretty raunchy.

I like standup to be a set, personally. Like I said above with Chappelle. Take the audience on a mental ride of stuff they didn't think of before.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There's a certain vein of stand up that's roasting. Don Rickles. Greg Giraldo. Jeff Ross. There's a skill to really hitting a nerve. Lisa Lampanelli is pretty raunchy.

I like standup to be a set, personally. Like I said above with Chappelle. Take the audience on a mental ride of stuff they didn't think of before.

You missed it. Read it again.

Reaction Score

I wish I appreciated Greg Giraldo more when he was alive. If you haven't heard this story Artie Lang shared on JRE its worth a listen.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Killin' Them Softly is the best stand up special ever.
The AIDS bit in For What It’s Worth might be the best 5 mins of comedy ever

Reaction Score
Hey Chin Diesel, The bit was funny because it was completely in the "insult" spirit of the Hasselhoff Roast it was a part of. Lisa Lampanelli had the nerve to insult to Hulk Hogan to his face. And Hulk was wearing a feathered boa?!? Here's the whole bit:

Obviously, I love raunchy roasts. I mean sure, I loved Hope, Benny, Burns & Allen, Youngman, Jackie Mason, & all the classic old time borscht-belt comedy kings. But it wasn't til Richard Prior challenged sensorship & made comedy raunchy in the 70's (along with Red Foxx) that I really started to gut laugh at some of the edgier comic's who embraced the more fearless, harder-edged styles of comedy. Especially in the 80's! Man, I just loved Sam Kinison's early stuff.

Different strokes!

Father Demo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me Carlin, Pryor and Cosby are locks. Then there are some old guys like Albert Brooks, and going further back Rickles, Klein.. etc., and I have trouble putting Williams or Murphy ahead of one another. I'd probably have to go with Newhart because with his delivery and unusual presence, he could go minutes without saying anything and still be funny.

I think you have to have a Rushmore for different eras. The more modern era would have to have Seinfeld, Rock... and maybe throw Murphy and Williams up on there. I also love Burr. My favorite though is Gaffigan. They guy basically talks about food and family 90% of the time and is still funny.

Sadly 95% of them will be canceled in a few years. No one can take a joke anymore.

Reaction Score
Carlin, Pryor, Chappelle & Robert Klein

Carlin & Pryor are 1 & 1a locks. After that it's personal humor preference.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Pryor, Chapelle, CK and dont have a 4th

Runners up include:
Dangerfield
Murphy
Redd Foxx (saw him live in Vegas @ 16), Steven Wright "got this powdered water, now I don't know what to add"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Hey Chin Diesel, The bit was funny because it was completley in the "insult" spirit of the Hasselhoff Roast it was a part of. Lisa Lampanelli had the nerve to insult to Hulk Hogan to his face. And Hulk was wearing a feathered boa?!? Here's the whole bit:

Obviously, I love raunchy roasts. I mean sure, I loved Benny, Burns & Allen, Jackie Mason, & all the classic old time comedy kings. But it wasn't til Richard Prior got things raunchy in the 70's that I really started to gut laugh at some comic's who embraced the harder-edged styles of comedy. Loved Sam Kinison's early stuff.

Father Demo

You drooling imbeciles.

I found it not funny because you referenced an 18 year putting bofa's on Hulksters ex-wife's CHIN.

And for some reason a poster named CHIN Diesel said he didn't think it was funny.

Reaction Score
For me Carlin, Pryor and Cosby are locks. Then there are some old guys like Albert Brooks, and going further back Rickles, Klein.. etc., and I have trouble putting Williams or Murphy ahead of one another. I'd probably have to go with Newhart because with his delivery and unusual presence, he could go minutes without saying anything and still be funny.

I think you have to have a Rushmore for different eras. The more modern era would have to have Seinfeld, Rock... and maybe throw Murphy and Williams up on there. I also love Burr. My favorite though is Gaffigan. They guy basically talks about food and family 90% of the time and is still funny.

Sadly 95% of them will be canceled in a few years. No one can take a joke anymore.
I agree on Newhart. I think he's brilliant. He's just too quirky to be in the discussion for Top 4. Same goes for Andy Kaufman. If you really watch what Kaufman did with "Tony Clifton", it's nuts. It was Borat before there was Borat.

Reaction Score
Stephen Wright for me, but he’s obviously a unique style.

“I was walking down the street with my friend George. Guy comes up behind us with a gun and says give me all your money. So I turned to George and said here’s the 20 bucks I owe you.”

complete deadpan

also Pryor, Murphy and Carlin

and today? Maniscalco above all others

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Rodney Dangerfield
Robin Williams
George Carlin
Dave Chappelle

I'm also a big Jim Breuer fan. He had the best set I've ever seen live, with a pretty long improvised bit with a table near us. My sides hurt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've seen some great stand ups in person. Steven Wright, Chappelle, Louis CK, Hannibal Burress, Nick Swordson, Kevin Nealon, Bill Burr...and Chappelle was on a totally different level.

I've seen Louis CK in person several times, he was brilliant but his last show after the Me too stuff and his material was much worse, which was surprising.

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

To stir the opinion pot further here: WHICH POPULAR COMIC'S DON'T YOU REALLY LIKE?

Though I know their comedy well, three comic's that never rang my bell for the longrun are: Jerry Seinfeild, Richard Pryor & Bob Newhart.

Go ahead, take a swing!

Father Demo

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Anyone have the misfortune of listening to a Kat Williams set?

Can someone tell me why anyone would find Kat Williams funny? Besides funny looking?

Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

To stir the opinion pot further here: WHICH POPULAR COMIC'S DON'T YOU REALLY LIKE?

Though I know their comedy well, three comic's that never rang my bell for the longrun are: Jerry Seinfeild, Richard Prior & Bob Newhart.

Go ahead, take a swing!

Father Demo
Louis CK, even before the whole fiasco I never got all the buzz. Just didn't find him remotely funny

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom