Your first Uconn game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your first Uconn game

Reaction Score
2009 @ Notre Dame. ESPN game day was in the house. Awesome team. We snapped their long home win streak. Was great experience. Wife bought the tickets for my birthday. Too bad Dyson got hurt in the following weeks otherwise that would have been another trophy for the good guys.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Game vs. Seton Hall at Brendan Byrne arena when I was a real young guy.

Come to think of it, Danny Hurley may have been on that squad for the Pirates.

First game that I have any vivide memories of was freshman year 2006 vs. Quinnipiac - who actually gave us a scare that game.

Reaction Score
05-06 season against Quinnipiac at the XL Center. Rudy Gay had a SC top 10 dunk. I didn't get to see live sports very much growing up. It was awesome.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was a 2nd round 1981 NIT game vs. Minnesota at the HCC. A bad first game for me...

That's a horrible 1st game. Mine was 1973 at the Field House against Yale. It was SRO, I remember because I was standing. My councilor that summer at basketball camp was Yale's best player. I forget his name.

Reaction Score
Jan 17, 1981 at the Civic Center - UConn 69 St John's 68

I was eleven. New to college hoops but my dad was an alum and longtime UConn BB fan. Exciting game (televised on NBC) - the only play I remember was the last desperation heave by St. John's. We had nosebleed seats and from our angle it looked like the ball went it lol.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Didn't see a game in person until my freshman year in Storrs against St Johns (Dec 8, 1992). Too many to count after that.

Reaction Score
Game vs. Seton Hall at Brendan Byrne arena when I was a real young guy.

Come to think of it, Danny Hurley may have been on that squad for the Pirates.

First game that I have any vivide memories of was freshman year 2006 vs. Quinnipiac - who actually gave us a scare that game.
Quinnipiac vs. UConn - Game Summary - November 11, 2006 - ESPN

Got within 41-37 with 11:15 to go. Uconn stretched it out a little, but they fought back to within 48-47 with a little over 2:30 to go. I remember watching and wondering "what in the world is going on? That is new....In a very bad way...wtf??" Sadly, that is a feeling I have had all too much over the past 3 or 4 years.

Odd thing is, play by play says the final score was 53-47, box score says 53-46 so not sure which one to trust.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t remember the date but it was Pitt @HCC during the 80s. We were up in God’s country against one of those monster teams. It was the 1st time I was introduced to the “don’t sit till they score” and was painful. It felt like 15 min of clapping. Almost as bad as the Cincinnati game at Gampel a month ago. I’m sure those days are behind us.

I remember seeing Darren Morningstar walking the halls of the HCC after a UConn game wearing a full length mink coat.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think 01-02 or so. UConn vs Notre Dame on Big Monday at the Civic Center back when they had Troy Murphy. I was probably 13. They brought me over to fill in the seats behind the announcers when they did their pregame thing. Funny enough, I sat in the team family section. My brother lived near Doug Wrenn and said he got the tickets from him. My brother also worked at Dick’s during college so I’m not sure how the tickets exactly came about. Lol!

Reaction Score
We never went to many college games when I was a kid. Couldn't make it on weeknights and I was always playing basketball on Saturdays. Plus my old man had Jets season tickets (woof) so that was where our money for sports tickets went. First game was Donyell's sophomore season at the HCC. I think we played Seton Hall but I can't remember. It was a victory. It took me a very long time to get up to Gampel, first game was vs Notre Dame in 2009. Still only been there four times. Stating the obvious but it's so much better to watch a game there than the XL Center.

Reaction Score
Someone PLEASE help me, I'm trying to remember which game it was but I can't figure it out. I 100% remember Hilton Armstrong was on the team, and he had a good game that day. I also know the game was at the XL Center. I can't remember who they were playing, for some reason when I try to remember the game, West Virginia pops into my head. However, considering they never played West Virginia in Hartford when Hilton was on the team, I'm guessing that is wrong. I was like 5 at the time, so I only remember those few details. But it's the first game I can remember, and I'd really like to know which one it was. Anyone got any ideas?

Reaction Score
I started watching games on channel 20 WTXX during the 1981-82 season. I remember a crazy dunk by Norman Bailey and Mike McKay being a very good player. I seem to recall Chuck Alexinas being the center on that team.

During my freshman year at UConn in 83-84 I think my first game was at the Field House against Seton Hall coached by P.J. Carlisemo. It was a dollar for students to get in with their student ID. UConn won 76-68.

Reaction Score
Late 60's. Field house. It was a Yankee Conf game. Do not remember who. I was however hooked. Prior to that I had watched a few games with Dick Galiette(SP)......seen many games since at Field House, HCC, Gampel-New Haven when HCC was closed, Sprinfield. Was at the game when Al Lewis "brought the roof down. Later I worked with him at Aetna.

Reaction Score
The ESPN Dunk of the Year
They used that dunk on the opening highlights for quite a while. I remember the game, came all the way back against BC only to lose as BC had their number for a while during the Perno Years.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
First game - CT Mutual Classic in 1982. Most memorable games - back to Big Monday wins over Syracuse and Georgetown (loudest games that I ever experienced), Gampel opener vs. St. John’s, 1999 final four, 2014 sweet 16 and final four.

Reaction Score
Someone PLEASE help me, I'm trying to remember which game it was but I can't figure it out. I 100% remember Hilton Armstrong was on the team, and he had a good game that day. I also know the game was at the XL Center. I can't remember who they were playing, for some reason when I try to remember the game, West Virginia pops into my head. However, considering they never played West Virginia in Hartford when Hilton was on the team, I'm guessing that is wrong. I was like 5 at the time, so I only remember those few details. But it's the first game I can remember, and I'd really like to know which one it was. Anyone got any ideas?

74-67 over gtown in January 2006?
19 points on 8-10 shooting, 5 rebounds, 6 blocks, 2 steals, just 1 turnover.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom