Your first Uconn game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Your first Uconn game

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
If TV counts my first game was likely an NCAA tourney game around 1963-64. I was too young to remember much about it. We watched every game that was on TV through the 60's and early 70's. I distinctly remember watching the first round NCAA loss to BS College in Bialosuknia's senior season (66-67). We lost to those turds 48-42 at Keaney Gym on the URI campus. I believe Kara Wolter's father Willie played on that Beagles team.

Channel 8 in New Haven, with Dick Galiette and "Tiny" Markle. Most of the games in those days were only on WTIC radio, with George Ehrlich. We spent many cold winter nights watching or listening to those games.
Erwin “Tiny” Markle was a great guy.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
January 1978 UConn defeated umass Hartford civic center
I was there for that one too. Couldn’t believe my ears when I woke up the next morning and heard Bob Steele talking about the roof.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Nope. I'm positive DeSantis played for Fairfield that game (12/78). I remember his bald spot.
That was my first game too. DeSantis was on that squad, as was Mark Young. Fairfield billed them as “Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside.”
Corny was on the front page of the CDC the next morning celebrating the win.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
BA4494BA-0B19-4A82-BEB4-3DBE9EFD2BA1.jpeg
December 6, 1978 68-67 win at the field house against a very good Fairfield team. Great game
Here’s the front page of the CDC the next morning.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
That's a horrible 1st game. Mine was 1973 at the Field House against Yale. It was SRO, I remember because I was standing. My councilor that summer at basketball camp was Yale's best player. I forget his name.
Trent Tucker destroyed us from the outside that night(meaning the Minnesota NIT game). Could the Yale player have been Butch Graves?

Last edited:

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
The ESPN Dunk of the Year
Great dunk vs Villanova. Good game; Aleksinas and Pinone nearly killed each other down low. ‘Nova ended up winning.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
View attachment 29992
Here’s the front page of the CDC the next morning.
I had Corny in a course that semester. At the end of the last class, I asked him to sign that newspaper. He kind of rolled his eyes a bit, we were the same age after all, but he signed it "Corny Thompson #52".

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I had Corny in a course that semester. At the end of the last class, I asked him to sign that newspaper. He kind of rolled his eyes a bit, we were the same age after all, but he signed it "Corny Thompson #52".
I saw him in the library a few times. Seemed like a good guy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Erwin “Tiny” Markle was a great guy.

Until I read your message, I don't think I ever knew what his real first name was. That was a really long time to find out. Thanks for that.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Stop - Pop - Swish

George Ehrlich was the Joe D of the 1960's and painted a great verbal picture of the action. Listening to games on AM radio was the only regular option. Only 3 tv channels at the time, (abc ch 8) (nbc ch 30) (cbs ch 3) and half the time you had to hold the rabbit ears antenna to get those. Most telecasts black & white and color TV's were just appearing. Listened to all the Holowaty - Ritter - Hesford - Penders - Wes B games, then Bill Corley. I have a vague recollection of Wes being in the hunt for NCAA scoring title vs maybe Rick Mount from Purdue and perhaps a Rutgers player? For me that was high school and my love of the team was a significant reason I ended up at UConn.

That was Bob Lloyd at Rutgers. His backcourt mate and PG was Jim Valvano.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Until I read your message, I don't think I ever knew what his real first name was. That was a really long time to find out. Thanks for that.
I knew him through Yale football. He was the radio color commentator when I did public address at Yale Bowl. Nicest guy you could know.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I knew him through Yale football. He was the radio color commentator when I did public address at Yale Bowl. Nicest guy you could know.

What years? My dad and I attended every Yale home game from around 1960 to 1970.

Reaction Score
Since I grew up in PA I didn't attend a UConn basketball game until got a job in CT and attended grad school at UConn in the early 70's. Back in those days it was not uncommon to arrive to the game early and have a women's game being played on the floor. So it's quite possible my first UConn game was a women's game. lol

Reaction Score
A little something on the lighterside, now that we are all happy and looking hopefully to a bright future. What was your first Uconn game? For me it was 1954, Hawley armoury, Uconn vs. Holy Cross. I was to little to know what was going on, but I remember being there with my dad. Was actually the first time I ever saw basketball. I do remember the place being tiny, my kids HS gym was bigger.
My first game was Feb 21,1967 vs New Hampshire. The Poughkeepsie Popper went for 43. Huskymania had started well before that however. I can remember listening to George Ehrlich in the early 60's. Dan "The Spider" Hesford was my favorite player. The guy played his heart out.

Reaction Score
It's a bit of a stereotype, but the first game I ever saw was Allen vs. Allen. My dad was/is a casual fan but the whole state watched this game. I was 9 and I decided this was my game, my team, and took ownership of being a fan of the team from that point on.

Beautiful. Those were the days.

Reaction Score
The Fieldhouse. I had absolutely no idea who they were playing, or even that a game was happening. I walked in after my daily racquetball game after classes. I was hooked. Little did I know that I was watching Corney Thompson. It was a great day.
Here's another Field House "racquetball" story. I use quotes because the courts were actually squash courts - or something else, if I recall. My roommate and I just finished playing our match in 1986 (our freshman year) and as we were leaving, the basketball team and coaches were pouring off the basketball court into the back hallway - right into our path. We asked one of the guys who won the game. His first response was unintelligible. So we asked again and got a surly "the Australian team." Later that evening, we were watching the sports report on the local news and realized that we actually gave coach Calhoun his first ever post game interview question!

My years there were unbelievable... from the 9-19 inaugural Calhoun season, to reading the Courant every week to see if we were listed in the "also receiving votes" category, to the 1988 NIT Championship, to the opening of Gampel, to sitting in Tate's dorm room watching as he hit "the shot!"

It certainly has been a rough couple of years, recently. My hopes are high that we get some of that magic back with coach Hurley!!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Here's another Field House "racquetball" story. I use quotes because the courts were actually squash courts - or something else, if I recall. My roommate and I just finished playing our match in 1986 (our freshman year) and as we were leaving, the basketball team and coaches were pouring off the basketball court into the back hallway - right into our path. We asked one of the guys who won the game. His first response was unintelligible. So we asked again and got a surly "the Australian team." Later that evening, we were watching the sports report on the local news and realized that we actually gave coach Calhoun his first ever post game interview question!

My years there were unbelievable... from the 9-19 inaugural Calhoun season, to reading the Courant every week to see if we were listed in the "also receiving votes" category, to the 1988 NIT Championship, to the opening of Gampel, to sitting in Tate's dorm room watching as he hit "the shot!"

It certainly has been a rough couple of years, recently. My hopes are high that we get some of that magic back with coach Hurley!!

GO HUSKIES!!!
Definitely squash courts that we played racquetball on, there were OB radiators in front wall that if you hit ball just died. I can’t remember if we used to bring in beers & leave in corners or if I’m conflating my racquetball game with John Candy’s!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom