YOUR FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES OF ALL TIME... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

YOUR FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES OF ALL TIME...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
4. All the Right Moves Standing up for what you believe in/second chances
And Lea Thompson's..umm...perky...umm...front side.
(I'd almost throw in M*A*S*H just for the football scene...)

Does this qualify Fast Times at Ridgemont High or Lucas? How about Grease?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I often wish that my father, who lived through the depression, had lived to see some of the movies depicting athletes of his era: Cinderella Man about James Braddock, or Seabiscuit, about one of his favorite race horses.

I know I enjoyed the movie 61*, after having been a teen during the 1961 season.

Reaction Score
Victory, Chariots of Fire, Seabiscuit, Bad News Bears, Eight Men Out, Raging Bull, The Hustler. (I'd almost throw in M*A*S*H just for the football scene...)

If you want to see a surprising movie, go back and watch the Bad News Bears.

It holds up so well, but there's no way that movie gets made today - it really is remarkable.
I'd like to see you repost this as a poll. List the top ten or so and let each vote for three if that's possible.

Reaction Score
And Lea Thompson's..umm...perky...umm...front side. [from All The Right Moves] .

She was something else! And since you went there first, H25, I'll dare take your comment one step further with the question... Who are the most beautiful, provocative vixens IN sports movies? [It's okay if the movie itself is a stinker] My choices (and the top three are positively, indisputably irrefutable):

1. Jessica Biel-------- Summer Catch
2. Linda Fiorentino--Vision Quest
3. Halle Berry---------The Program

AND ALL THE REST...
Christine Taylor----DodgeBall
Fairuza Balk--------The Waterboy
Kim Basinger-------The Natural
Kate Bosworth------Blue Crush
Leslie Bibb---------- Talladega Nights
Brooke Langton-----The Replacements

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
She was something else! And since you went there first, H25, I'll dare take your comment one step further with the question... Who are the most beautiful, provocative vixens IN sports movies? [It's okay if the movie itself is a stinker] My choices (and the top three are positively, indisputably irrefutable):

1. Jessica Biel-------- Summer Catch
2. Linda Fiorentino--Vision Quest
3. Halle Berry---------The Program

AND ALL THE REST...
Christine Taylor----DodgeBall
Fairuza Balk--------The Waterboy
Kim Basinger-------The Natural
Kate Bosworth------Blue Crush
Leslie Bibb---------- Talladega Nights
Brooke Langton-----The Replacements
That is a solid top 3.

Then there's Ali Larter and Amy Smart from Varsity Blues (they were both 23 playing 18 year olds, so I feel less dirty.)
I know I am one of only a few who like her here but Amy Adams gets credit for Talladega Nights, The Fighter, and Trouble with the Curve.
I don't typically like short hair,but only good thing can come of Julie Bowen coming my way in a stark white neglige with two pitchers of lager (Happy Gilmore).
Connie Britton deserved a bigger role in Friday Night Lights.
Gina Gershon from Driven.
Kathy Ireland in Necessary Roughness ("She's got soooome leg." "And it keeps getting better on the way up.")
Finally, and provided you consider tournament cheerleading a sport, Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku from Bring it on.

Reaction Score
That is a solid top 3.

Then there's Ali Larter and Amy Smart from Varsity Blues (they were both 23 playing 18 year olds, so I feel less dirty.)
I know I am one of only a few who like her here but Amy Adams gets credit for Talladega Nights, The Fighter, and Trouble with the Curve.
I don't typically like short hair,but only good thing can come of Julie Bowen coming my way in a stark white neglige with two pitchers of lager (Happy Gilmore).
Connie Britton deserved a bigger role in Friday Night Lights.
Gina Gershon from Driven.
Kathy Ireland in Necessary Roughness ("She's got soooome leg." "And it keeps getting better on the way up.")
Finally, and provided you consider tournament cheerleading a sport, Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku from Bring it on.

Bring It On ?? Sports movie? You're losing it, 25! :rolleyes: I, too, am enamored of Amy Smart (the wife says it's ok, being a benign old fart). But far more titillating than her role in Varsity Blues was her hysterical, wacky portrayal opposite the crazed Chev Chelios in the majorly entertaining, quirkily droll and mindlessly violent Crank: High Voltage.
Try it, I think you'll like it.

Reaction Score
Too many to list, but if I had to pick one, I'd say "A League of Their Own".

Reaction Score
HATE is an awful strong word. Only things I ever hated was the Nazi and the "Japs" and they earned it. Came close with the Chinese and North Koreans in 1952--now I just seriously dislike their military. Laetner in terms of "dislikes" does not hold a candle to the "Fab 5"
can't think of the worst one's name but he made a fool of himself in the Final 4 against U Ark when he called a time out when his team had none. Him I dislike.

Now my favorite movies: 1. Pride of the Yankee's, 2. Hoosiers 3. Field of Dreams 4. A league of their own (there actually IS crying in baseball) . Damn Yankees isn't really a sports movie--good musical. That's what the true Southerners call us who come and stay. Heard it first in Arkansas.

Did you lose money on that game?

I absolutely love and adore the Fab 5; Supremely talented, surprisingly successful, startlingly charismatic, and still, to this day, impactful.
The game to which you refer was the 1993 national championship game against North Carolina when Chris Webber called the timeout his team did not have. I, for one, can hardly hold that against him because I committed a similar faux pas in a holiday tournament game in high school; Yes, we lost as a result. To Webber's immense credit, he stood up, accepted full blame and did not duck the media.

As for Laettner, he seems to have had an entire college career of breaking the hearts of opposing fans not the least of whom were UConn fans when he scored the game winner in the Elite 8 game in 1990. My understanding is that Coach K called the play from the bench while Duke was taking the ball out of bounds after seeing how UConn was defending the out of bounds play. Laettner took out Kentucky in the Elite 8 on the long inbounds pass from Grant Hill two years later.

Reaction Score
These three movies I will watch whenever they are on TV and I am flicking channels. I like other but will not watch unless there is nothing else on.

My three are:

1) Remember the Titans
2) Blindside
3) The Replacements

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
These three movies I will watch whenever they are on TV and I am flicking channels. I like other but will not watch unless there is nothing else on.

My three are:

1) Remember the Titans
2) Blindside
3) The Replacements
Kind of football (gridiron) centric. :cool:

Oh geez a couple I forgot about.

Fever Pitch (1997) (Arsenal Football)
Fever Pitch (2005) (Redsox Baseball)
Both from the book by Nick Hornby.

Green Street Hooligans was good too. (another Football movie - sort of)

Husky25

Reaction Score
Has anyone mentioned Gridiron Gang yet? That's a sneaky flick.

Reaction Score
1. The Natural
2. Brian's Song
3. Field of Dreams
4. Rocky
5. The Fighter
6. A Soldier's Story
7. A League of Their Own
8. Bingo Long Travelling All Stars and Motor Kings
9. Go Man Go
10. The Greatest Game Ever Played
Field of Dreams by far it reminded me of my father.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Greatest Game of All. The story of Francis Quimet the you man who won the First US Open.

Reaction Score
It's interesting that we all seem to list only the most recent sports movies...... yet there a few older movies as good or better than those mentioned: William Bendix's Babe Ruth Story, Pride of the Yankees (mentioned by a few), Burt Lancaster's Jim Thorpe, Ray Milland's It Happens Every Spring, Jimmy Stewart's The Stratton Story, Knute Rockne All American, Kansas City Bomber, The Pride of St Louis and Tony Perkins' Jimmy Piersall.

And a movie I saw not too long ago I thought was very good United

Reaction Score
There are two movies about girls high school basketball that I think are very good. The first I have mentioned before: "Believe in Me."
It stars Jeffrey Donovan and Bruce Dern and features a cameo by DT. It is based on the real life story of an Oklahoma girls basketball
coach. It holds up to repeated viewings.

The second is "The Winning Season" starring Sam Rockwell as a dysfunctional loser who is asked to coach an inept girls team. It is raunchy and funny, but definitely not suited to tweens. I really like it.

Here are a few soccer films worthy of viewing: "Bend it Like Beckham" has been mentioned; I like the director. Her other films "Bhaji at
the Beach" and "Bride and Prejudice" are also worth looking at.

I really like "A Shot at Glory" which features a 2nd division Scottish League reaching the Cup Final. It stars Robert Duvall and Michael Keaton. This one of my all time favorite sports films-definitely in the top 5. "Will" is the story on an 11 year old super fan of Liverpool and his attempt to reach the European Cup League Final in Istanbul. It stars Damian Lewis and Bob Hoskins. This is definitely family friendly.

The final suggestion is "The Damned United", for those who know the premiership; it isn't Man U, but Leeds United. It is the story of
Brian Clough one of the greatest managers in English football Michael Sheen plays Clough with Timothy Spall Colm Meaney, and Jim Broadbent ably assisting. It helps if you know about English football, but Sheen's performance is so good; that it's worth watching even if you know nothing about it. Clough was a ass, but a football genius

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
Lassie Come Home
Hoosiers
Breaking Away
Strangers on a Train
Black Stalion

Reaction Score
I'm struck by how many great sports movies there have been. My favorite is probably Field Of Derams - brought back deep memories of my deceased father. One movie I didn't see mentioned that I'd recommend highly, was Sugar. Came out in 2008 and was about a young Dominican baseball player trying to make it.

Reaction Score
King Kong - we need more for wrestling! Did you see some of those moves he made?

Reaction Score
Sonny44- - - - I can't believe I forgot one of my favorite movies on my list above, which happens to be the best WRESTLING movie ever made, VISION QUEST! As a former HS Wrestling coach it comes as close as anything to the real HS or College Wrestling scene! The idea to lose 20lbs. to Wrestle the returning state champ is what the sport is all about!
I realize your post above was with tongue firmly planted in cheek!

Reaction Score
Has to be 'Secretariat'. Chills at the end of the Belmont rounding the turn into the home stretch with the choir raising up and Eddy with the 'O my' comment. Great.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My guilty pleasure sports flick is The Cutting Edge. It doubles as my favorite chick flick. Loved Moira Kelly in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom