YOUR FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES OF ALL TIME... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

YOUR FAVORITE SPORTS MOVIES OF ALL TIME...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't watch many sports movies now - they're usually corny. As a kid, I watched many of the PG variety. Such as:

Mighty Ducks (1-3, but 2 is the best)
Angels in the Outfield
Little Giants
Rookie of the Year
The Big Green
The Sandlot
Cool Runnings
Happy Gilmore

I can still quote from Mighty Ducks, Little Giants, and Happy Gilmore today.

Others I like but I'm ashamed of:

Eddie - Sure it's terrible, but for some reason it just does it for me.
The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh - So bad it's great.

Good movies:

Bend it Like Beckham
Remember the Titans
Talledega Nights
Million Dollar Baby
The Wrestler (depending on whether you count that as sports)

Too many good ESPN documentaries to mention. A few of the best being:

Unguarded - I highly, highly recommend this if you have not seen it.
The Fab Five
Hillsborough
pretty much on the same page... but throw in LOVE & BASKETBALL & Sixth Man

Angels in the Outfield is a must-see

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I love movies with a message whether sports or otherwise!

1. Field of Dreams Making dreams come true no matter what
2. Hoosiers Team work & sacrifice
3. Chariots of Fire Driven to perfection/getting what you think is important out of life
4. All the Right Moves Standing up for what you believe in/second chances
5. Rudy Pursuit of a dream
6. Brian's Song Brotherhood
7. Remember the Titans Overcoming all obstacles
8. The Natural Persistence
9. Rocky I/II/III Following a dream/beating the odds
10. We are Marshall Overcoming the odds/teamwork
11. Million Dollar Baby Following a dream but having it taken away/ (a favorite but I also hate the cheating that leads to the sad ending)
12. Bull Durham Persistence/dreams
13. A League of Their Own Sticking to your beliefs/persistence
14. One on One Persistence
15. Cinderella Man Hard work pays off/good things do happen to good people
16. Pride of the Yankees Horrible end to storybook life/take nothing for granted

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Victory, Chariots of Fire, Seabiscuit, Bad News Bears, Eight Men Out, Raging Bull, The Hustler. (I'd almost throw in M*A*S*H just for the football scene...)

If you want to see a surprising movie, go back and watch the Bad News Bears.

It holds up so well, but there's no way that movie gets made today - it really is remarkable.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Jim Thorpe, All American
For Love of the Game
Slapshot

Reaction Score
Love reading all the lists! So many of my favorites are mentioned, I won't bother to list all my own, but here's my favorite memory while WATCHING a sports movie:

I was watching "Rudy." Had seen it before, but it was one of my favorites. My stepfather, a wonderful man who has been gone for 10 years, had never seen the movie. He did love sports and sports movies, but I think he never watched this one because he, let's say, was not very enamored of Notre Dame, to put it mildly. However, this day, I was watching the movie in our living room and he was behind me in our den, watching through the doorway unbeknownst to me. For some reason, I happened to turn around during the scene where the other players are offering to give up their spot on the team so Rudy can dress for a game, and I saw my stepfather standing there with tears streaming down his cheeks. I mean, really bawling. He was a man with a tender heart, but I had never seen him that emotional over anything before. Of course, that started me tearing up as well, and we just continued to watch the movie together and didn't say a word.

Reaction Score
“Does it have any sports in it?”
“Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True Love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest Ladies. Snakes. Spiders... Pain. Death. Brave men. Cowardly men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles.” - Princess Bride

Reaction Score
“Does it have any sports in it?”
“Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True Love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest Ladies. Snakes. Spiders... Pain. Death. Brave men. Cowardly men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles.” - Princess Bride

Another one of my favorite movies. Must be one of yours, too, judging by your handle. I'm going to see a showing of it at The Bushnell this fall, and Cary Elwes is going to be there for a Q and A session. So looking forward to it!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Gotta add Million Dollar Baby. Outstanding movie. Can not watch without crying like a baby.
That film is a kick in the nuts. You kind of sit there slack jawed and go WTF just happened. Part of really good bunch of recent Clint Eastwood films.

I love this thread because as I read through the post I keep saying to myself, "oh yeah I like that one too!"

Hoosiers.
Rocky series (excluding 5 which I've never been able to get through)
Cinderella Man.
Rudy
Remember the Titans
Longest Yard (original)
Million Dollar Baby
Raging Bull
Brian's Song (original) - "It's all a question of style."
Major League - some great lines.

Shout out to Slap Shot, though I don't think it is in the top 10.

CL82

Reaction Score
Victory, Chariots of Fire, Seabiscuit, Bad News Bears, Eight Men Out, Raging Bull, The Hustler. (I'd almost throw in M*A*S*H just for the football scene...)

If you want to see a surprising movie, go back and watch the Bad News Bears.

It holds up so well, but there's no way that movie gets made today - it really is remarkable.
I think there's a recent remake with that Billy Bob Thorton guy... I haven't seen it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Another one of my favorite movies. Must be one of yours, too, judging by your handle. I'm going to see a showing of it at The Bushnell this fall, and Cary Elwes is going to be there for a Q and A session. So looking forward to it!

"I am Inigo Montoya. You killed father. Prepare to die"

"I do not think that word means what you think it means"

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

"Stop it, I mean it," "Does anyone want a peanut?"

Reaction Score
"I am Inigo Montoya. You killed father. Prepare to die"

"I do not think that word means what you think it means"

"Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

"Stop it, I mean it," "Does anyone want a peanut?"

LOL! I just have to correct your last quote, just because it's poetry and the meter HAS to be right:

"No more rhyming now, I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?" [Then the scream of frustration.] Perfect.

Reaction Score
I guess since ESPN covers billiards, "The Hustler" could be considered a sports movie. But ESPN also covers a ton of poker, in which case I'd have to add "The Cincinnati Kid" to my list. Steve McQueen and Edward G. Robinson were awesome. And Ann-Margret- vavavoom!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zorro- Debbie Does Dallas???
I think I had that mum as my kindergarten torturer. I meant teacher!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Express, which was the story of Ernie Davis, was a fine film, albeit fictionalized in parts.

Reaction Score
My two favorites, already mentioned, are Field of Dreams and Slapshot. Another movie, that I think holds up well, is Downhill Racer with Robert Redford.

Reaction Score
"I Hate Christian Laetner, , , ,"

. . . because I still do.:mad:
HATE is an awful strong word. Only things I ever hated was the Nazi and the "Japs" and they earned it. Came close with the Chinese and North Koreans in 1952--now I just seriously dislike their military. Laetner in terms of "dislikes" does not hold a candle to the "Fab 5"
can't think of the worst one's name but he made a fool of himself in the Final 4 against U Ark when he called a time out when his team had none. Him I dislike.

Now my favorite movies: 1. Pride of the Yankee's, 2. Hoosiers 3. Field of Dreams 4. A league of their own (there actually IS crying in baseball) . Damn Yankees isn't really a sports movie--good musical. That's what the true Southerners call us who come and stay. Heard it first in Arkansas.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't think I could actually list a top 10, too many. But I'll add a few that I love that haven't (I don't think) been mentioned yet.

Breaking Away
Searching for Bobby Fisher
Secretariat
Diggstown
Rollerball
Vision Quest
Radio

Reaction Score
1. Slapshot
2. Miracle
3. Youngblood (so bad but it is about hockey)
4. Bull Durham
5. The Natural

That's all I got for now.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Do the UConn vs TN championship game DVDs you can buy on Amazon count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom