Your favorite cooking method to eat a turkey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your favorite cooking method to eat a turkey

Your favorite cooking method to eat a turkey?

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I want to get a smoker but have no idea what to get- worried about cost and learning curve. Are they complicated? Budget would be 500-1000.
Large BIG GREEN EGG

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I want to get a smoker but have no idea what to get- worried about cost and learning curve. Are they complicated? Budget would be 500-1000.
We've had a couple threads about this. Start on this one and inside that is a link to the more extensive first one. Bottom line, get a pellet smoker if you want to get into it without a lot of learning curve.

Reaction Score
Anyone try spatchcocking a turkey?
My son has. It was tender and delicious. Not for Thanksgiving but just a trial run family dinner. He is very good at most things cooked.
I have had turkey duty for many years and tried baked, brined and not, assorted spices, deep fried which has been the popular favorite, but I don't care for it.
Being in charge, I decided to smoke it last time. It got rave reviews. Very tender and juicy and the applewood smoke gives it a taste that works with the bird. It will be my choice going forward.

Reaction Score
Been smoking a turkey for the last couple of years. I have a Pitboss combo smoker/grill and for a 20lb bird it doesn't leave a lot of room.

I just bought a used Pitboss vertical smoker and will have plenty of room for that this year. Brand new vertical smokers can be had for around $500 for a pellet style or cheaper for electric or propane.

I brine for 24hrs with a citrusy brine and then stuff the cavity with apples, oranges, mandarins, lemons and cook at 250 or so. Nice and juicy

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ouf of the available choices, I prefer to roast my turkey.

Correct answer is I hope someone I know is deep frying it and I'm going over their house to watch and then eat it.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
My wife :oops:
only once a year?
Selena Gomez Agree GIF by The Democrats

Reaction Score
We've had a couple threads about this. Start on this one and inside that is a link to the more extensive first one. Bottom line, get a pellet smoker if you want to get into it without a lot of learning curve.
Thanks, I'll check it out

Reaction Score
We compared a deep fried with roasted and the fried was definitely juicier. I’ve only had smoked a few times but that was good as well. I love turkey so I’m not much of a critic.

I’ll probably have roasted turkey along with prime rib and grouper at my nearby Hiilton as I did last year.

Reaction Score
Anyone try spatchcocking a turkey?
This is my preferred method. It doesn’t have quite the aesthetic Norman Rockwell appeal but taste-wise it is better than anything else.

That all being said, it’s still turkey and turkey is still pretty garbage.

Reaction Score
All this info is cool and really interesting. But I haven’t had anything but an oven roasted turkey in 64 years of existence. From Gramma to mom to now my wife or sister all the same. And I can’t remember having anything other than a great day. Has there been a somewhat drier one than others, yeah a couple. Nothing that gravy and a few beers along with great sides doesn’t cure.

I have mad respect for the variety of ways to prepare but fk that, way too much time for a couple nice big slices along with the other goods. And it tasted even better on a nice Pepperidge Farms potato bread toasted the next few days as well!!!
This is the way. Keep things simple. All these secret sauce recipes suck.

Reaction Score
We compared a deep fried with roasted and the fried was definitely juicier. I’ve only had smoked a few times but that was good as well. I love turkey so I’m not much of a critic.

I’ll probably have roasted turkey along with prime rib and grouper at my nearby Hiilton as I did last year.
Did you brine the roasted turkey? If brined it’s impossible to dry out.

Reaction Score
My thoughts are this: Do not pay $80 for a heritage, "natural", vegetarian fed, "fresh", organic bird.
Go get the down and dirty frozen Butterball, Shady Farms or whatever the hell else is on sale because it will make no difference in how it tastes, it's all in the cooking and seasoning, it will be great. JMO, I've bought those other ones in the past.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Dry brined and roasted to 150*. Other one gets spatchcocked and smoked. In Kenji I trust.
Did exactly this and the smoked bird was universally favored… skipping oven roasted this year.

Reaction Score
Agree, for those coming here for a recipe its a 5-step process:
1. Turn on TV
2. Watch football
3. Begin drinking
4. Repeat 2 & 3 (optional: baste turkey if near the beverages)
5. Slice turkey when directed to by wife
She doesn’t trust me slicing either.

Reaction Score
For those noobs that can’t carve a bird. Must see.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
We have hostsed the Day for 4 years and working on number 5.

Each time, the bird has been nestled in the Weber grill. The fam loves it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There was a time when we did two birds - a 24 - 27 pounder in the oven and a 12 to 14 pounded deep fried. Thanksgiving was usually 15 people. The big bird in the oven was seasoned, buttered and basted with sherry wine. Tented with aluminum foil. Always tasted great. Never had a dried out bird. The smaller bird was fresh, dried and injected with Italian seasoning. 3 minutes a pound and it was done.

Now that we retired to Florida, we will cook a 15 pounder in the oven. We will have 2 friends over for the day. And plenty of leftovers!!!!!!!!!!!

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
My son has. It was tender and delicious. Not for Thanksgiving but just a trial run family dinner. He is very good at most things cooked.
I have had turkey duty for many years and tried baked, brined and not, assorted spices, deep fried which has been the popular favorite, but I don't care for it.
Being in charge, I decided to smoke it last time. It got rave reviews. Very tender and juicy and the applewood smoke gives it a taste that works with the bird. It will be my choice going forward.
Largest turkey we’ve been able to spatchcock and roast is 13lbs. This enables white and dark meat to roast perfectly, instead of overcooking white meat or undercooking the dark meat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom