Your favorite cooking method to eat a turkey | The Boneyard

Your favorite cooking method to eat a turkey

Your favorite cooking method to eat a turkey?

• Total voters

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
I’ve experimented over the past few years. I did a tandoori turkey, was delicious but man, the spice smells stuck around for weeks. Oh, it’s crap load of work and buying ingredients you will never use again.

Last 2 years I’ve done a rotisserie turkey on the grill. Also came out pretty good and low maintenance for the most part.
Will try a fried turkey one of these days.

Reaction Score
image001.png

Reaction Score
Dry brined and roasted to 150*. Other one gets spatchcocked and smoked. In Kenji I trust.
I want to get a smoker but have no idea what to get- worried about cost and learning curve. Are they complicated? Budget would be 500-1000.

Reaction Score
Start with brine, then I alway inject mine with a mix of butter, apple cider/juice, salt, paprika and a lil secret extra something.

Then I smoke it on the Kamado.
I was thinking about doing a rotisserie turkey on the smoker for the 1st time, but I would have to do a test run. Can't play around with the holiday turkey.

Reaction Score
I want to get a smoker but have no idea what to get- worried about cost and learning curve. Are they complicated? Budget would be 500-1000.
A traeger pellet smoker might slot right into your price range. Those ones are really easy because it's like picking the settings on an oven and then just leaving it alone. Super easy to deal with and I'd say no learning curve on those. I have one of the large Big Green Eggs, which may be a couple hundred bucks over your price range and then there's the different grates and accessories they can ding you on as well... but I love the Egg. Not really a learning curve other than getting the hang of starting lump hardwood charcoal and not letting the temperature get too high, because the Egg retains heat really well. So if you go over your heat target, it's a bit of a pain in the hole to get the temperature to go down. It's nice too after smoking low for a few hours, you can open the air vents and the temp goes up to like 800* and you can start turning out pizzas the save afternoon.

It can be a little cumbersome so I probably only fire it up once every couple months when people come over for football or a holiday. If I had something like the Traeger where I could just turn it on when needed, I'd probably have it going every week doing homemade bacon, ribs, sausage.. whatever.

Reaction Score
Start with brine, then I alway inject mine with a mix of butter, apple cider/juice, salt, paprika and a lil secret extra something.

Then I smoke it on the Kamado.
I was thinking about doing a rotisserie turkey on the smoker for the 1st time, but I would have to do a test run. Can't play around with the holiday turkey.
my test turkey is thawing in the fridge. Will use the carcass for stock and make gravy early and have it done and out of the way for game day.

Reaction Score
This is what I have, and it works fantastic: Linky

Reaction Score
Fried turkey was a fad and it’s overrated in my opinion.

Regardless of the cooking method brining is a must. And if you roast it, definitely toss the “bag” of innards in the pan and chop them up for the gravy. Game changer.

Reaction Score
Smoked turkey is the best, but even that isn't particularly good.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Friend did a test a couple of years ago, fried one, smoked another. Fried was the most juicy and moist, smoked had the best flavor. Both beat oven roasting handily, but are also more difficult or time consuming. Chickens are honestly better on the smoker than turkey.

Reaction Score
All this info is cool and really interesting. But I haven’t had anything but an oven roasted turkey in 64 years of existence. From Gramma to mom to now my wife or sister all the same. And I can’t remember having anything other than a great day. Has there been a somewhat drier one than others, yeah a couple. Nothing that gravy and a few beers along with great sides doesn’t cure.

I have mad respect for the variety of ways to prepare but fk that, way too much time for a couple nice big slices along with the other goods. And it tasted even better on a nice Pepperidge Farms potato bread toasted the next few days as well!!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you have the time, try a George Foreman grill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom