You wanna press the Huskies? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You wanna press the Huskies?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The good thing that worked in our favor last year, no team applied fullcourt pressure until we ran into Ohio State. I thought Texas would press us in that matchup, which was nice plus they were lacking a few key players last year. Then when we got down to 6-7 players. I thought for sure teams would use their depth to try press us but none did.
Maryland pressed Ines with only limited success

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I do think Paige will help a lot with the press but I'm hoping Azzi has worked on her ball handling and is relishing being put in that situation again. She's an elite guard and should be more than capable of making quick decisions and breaking through. The weird or head scratching thing is Dorka seems like the perfect big to combat a press. I need to rewatch the game to see what happened .Also Jana would've/will be great at it as well.
Lastly, probably one of the more important things, I think KK will be a one woman press break as well. Like Georgia Amoore pretty much did it herself against OSU, and I know she was an upperclassmen but I think KK will be great against it.
With that in mind, PB, KK, and Nika could rotate in so two of the three are in continually to just wear out the other team with wicked speed and handles.

Last year, many of Nika's turnovers were due to the "receiver stopping just as Nika was releasing the pass to where they should have been going. PB will get on you if you don't continue the play she sees developing, Nika got better at that towards February, so hopefully KK will be a quick learner for this fantastic "three-headed monster" to thrive...

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
When we played against a player that we couldn't stop (and UConn will encounter some), my coach told us:........." then don't let him touch the ball." DENY them the ball. Stay between them and the ball, and switch on defense. That's easier said than done. Players can't score if they can't get the ball.

This is what I was referring to in another thread when I said that when you play against another team that has an "elite" scorer, you want/need somebody (your best defensive player, i.e., a Nika or an Aubrey) you can put on that player one-on-one that can shut her down, and almost make her disappear. ;)

I remember a game against Villanova in December of 2020 (I believe) when their best scorer Madison "Maddie" Siegrist was held to 2 points (a jumper at the 9:38 minute mark in the 3rd quarter per the game flow chart. Siegrist did not score again in the 2nd half).
I can't recall who guarded her, I think it was Christyn Williams, but whoever it was, got the job done. Siegrist disappeared in the 2nd half and finished with 15 points, far below her usual average. [Box score]
If I remember correctly it was a tagteam of Williams & Westbrook...

Reaction Score
And zero attacking the basket when they did break it. Edwards being in foul trouble the whole game didn't help either.
Rowdy, I agree 100%. How many times during the season did we see Edwards park herself in the middle of the floor to help the guards break the press? Against tOSU with Edwards sitting on the bench for extended minutes with foul trouble no one stepped up to play her role in helping to break the press. Maybe UConn was too use to having her there as a pressure relief value? It was like an important cog in the machinery was missing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would appear that PB is unguardable once more!

God bless all the Huskies with FULL recovery and continued good at FULL Strength!!!!

That way THEY will be doing the "Happy Dance" on Sunday, April 7, 2024 in Dallas when the clock runs out on whomever the Huskies are playing.

#12 BABY!!!
Hush Be Quiet GIF by HULU
Star Wars Doom GIF

Reaction Score
Thank you Blond D. I finally understand why we had so much trouble with the press - OSU was playing with 6 players !
That's pretty funny. Many years ago, following a timeout, the UConn men played with 6 players on the court for about 8 to 10 seconds. UConn got the 6th guy off the court and back on the bench. The refs, clueless as they usually are, stopped the game to figure out what was going on but to no avail. The announcers were going nuts. You can't make this stuff up :)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The Huskies had 2 true ball handlers vs OSU, now there are 5 (Nika, Paige, Azzi, sophomore Ines, KK). If someone is struggling against the press, Geno can try a different guard which is a luxury he didn’t have last year

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I really liked that UConn team that lost to AZ but i feel like they struggled a lot offensively in that game. Not necessarily with the press but more so just defensive pressure. That AZ team had a bunch of standout defenders who were all upperclassmen. Thinking about that uconn roster, only PB and CW were explosive offensively and if I recall correctly CW got into foul trouble. I think this years team has a bit more offensive firepower. Like Azzi , PB, AE can all go for 20. I'm fairly confident CD should be put in that category. Then Ice and Aubrey r definitely double figure threats as well.
Remember Nika was hurt and didn't start. Anna also injured.

Reaction Score
Saw this Paige article on twitter.

Best article I've seen describing what she does better than anyone and why she's so lethal. And why all WNBA coaches are dreaming of getting her eventually. Bueckers plays chess while the rest of WCBB plays checkers. That's why Taurasi called her the best in BB as a freshman.

Diana Taurasi calls UConn freshman Paige Bueckers 'best player in basketball already'

Reaction Score
The Huskies had 2 true ball handlers vs OSU, now there are 5 (Nika, Paige, Azzi, sophomore Ines, KK). If someone is struggling against the press, Geno can try a different guard which is a luxury he didn’t have last year
I'd add Ashlynn to the list. She's strong on the ball, as we used to say in soccer.

Reaction Score
At about the 0:50 second mark you see a classic Paige effect. She dribbles to the right at the top of the key. Freeze the video and you see that all five opposing players have moved to that side of the court. You could literally draw a line down the middle of the lane and see it. Naturally, Paige whips the ball to the other side and hits Nika for the most wide open 3 ever. This is the sort of thing that happens when Paige is in the lineup.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
With that in mind, PB, KK, and Nika could rotate in so two of the three are in continually to just wear out the other team with wicked speed and handles.

Last year, many of Nika's turnovers were due to the "receiver stopping just as Nika was releasing the pass to where they should have been going. PB will get on you if you don't continue the play she sees developing, Nika got better at that towards February, so hopefully KK will be a quick learner for this fantastic "three-headed monster" to thrive...

Go Huskies!!!
Been saying both of your points for some time now, although I'd add Ines to the list of point guards. A lot of folks don't seem to appreciate that it can be a good thing to have two point guards on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
Maryland pressed Ines with only limited success
Yes. Thank you. I totally forgot (Not sure how or why) about Maryland. That was the game where the team was without Dorka & Nika.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can foresee UConn playing all thirteen players when they get into Big East play. Not only to get rest for the starters, but to be able to let the bench get some experience playing with the starters so that they would be able to come in and play should someone get in foul trouble or be sick. Won't mention the other reason why they would need to come in because UConn needs to catch a break from that issue.

Reaction Score
Paige knows our offense and runs it like a Master BB wizzard. The only defender who I saw slow her down in our offense was Ari MacDonald who is so quick she watched enough film on Paige and would beat her to the spots she was trying to get to. SC started to play her with Brea Beal and that didnt work but changed to Henderson becasue she was quick like MacDonald. With the offensive players we have this year. You would need 5 superior defenders to stop us maybe.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'd add Ashlynn to the list. She's strong on the ball, as we used to say in soccer.
You can add KK as well. If you try and press her, she'll embarrass you. After only two games, I'm really liking KK more than I did last week. She'll be good this season as the year goes on and she gets more games/minutes under her belt. If she keeps playing like she did today, She's going to see the floor a lot!!! The more Geno trusts her and is comfortable putting her out there, the more she will play. I can't help but wonder just how much better KK will be next year. :rolleyes: Are the freshmen still expected to carry the other player's luggage to and from the bus/their rooms when they travel?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You can add KK as well. If you try and press her, she'll embarrass you. After only two games, I'm really liking KK more than I did last week. She'll be good this season as the year goes on and she gets more games/minutes under her belt. If she keeps playing like she did today, She's going to see the floor a lot!!! The more Geno trusts her and is comfortable putting her out there, the more she will play. I can't help but wonder just how much better KK will be next year. :rolleyes: Are the freshmen still expected to carry the other player's luggage to and from the bus/their rooms when they travel?
I hope they give Jana a break since she is still a Freshman. It's kind of hard to use a scooter and carry anything let alone luggage. I should know I used one when I blew out my achilles tendon stepping down off of a curb in 92. Took a lot ribbing from my platoon when it happened.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I hope they give Jana a break since she is still a Freshman. It's kind of hard to use a scooter and carry anything let alone luggage. I should know I used one when I blew out my achilles tendon stepping down off of a curb in 92. Took a lot ribbing from my platoon when it happened.
Jana can probably get 1-2 bags on the handle bars of her scooter if she get creative. :rolleyes:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Maybe Azzi will lend Jana her "crutch puppies" for her comfort.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom