Yo, Ms. Olivia Nelson-Ododa check this out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Yo, Ms. Olivia Nelson-Ododa check this out

Reaction Score
Agreed. We're on the far side of 65 and would like to see more students at .Gampel. More interested in matching the number of students at Gampel to Duke home games than increasing total attendance as in SC ( realize they have bigger arenas)

I'm not there yet but I'd love to see families, younger kids and students more in the mix during home games

Reaction Score
what would you say is the average age of the fans at the games? Is it more students or more regular folks?
IDK of an average age. Definitely more regular folks.

By my perspective, the crowds are pretty demographically diverse. Fans are of all ages, a healthy balance racially, lots of families with their children, and lots of men who are very much invested in the team.

The only disappointment are the students. Dawn and the players have bent over backwards to ingratiate themselves to attract students to try and fill up the student section but at best, on a good day, it might be a third full. Personally I would take away some of those seats away and sell them to the public.

Reaction Score
Nice note from her coach to his team:

Thank you: For the miles traveled, the shots made and missed, the wins, the losses, the food, the fun, the smiles and laughs. You allowed me to be me, to care and have it returned. Love you!

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Personally glad to see that Little Carolina has cheap ticket prices. If I do make it to Columbia next month...that just means more money for me to spend at Del Taco :cool:

By my perspective, the crowds are pretty demographically diverse. Fans are of all ages, a healthy balance racially, lots of families with their children, and lots of men who are very much invested in the team.

The only disappointment are the students. Dawn and the players have bent over backwards to ingratiate themselves to attract students to try and fill up the student section but at best, on a good day, it might be a third full. Personally I would take away some of those seats away and sell them to the public.

Of course Ive never been to a Lesser Carolina home game, but Ive seen your traveling crowd twice at Duke, and at the 2015 Regionals here. Very impressed with the road support... and the diversity of the crowd. Didnt see too many blue-hairs............. mostly I would say were between 30 and 50 years old..... great mix of blacks and whites, men and women, ...... thin and hefty, families, very enthusiastic and loud. I have to admit.... too many of them were wearing that hideous shade of garnet..... but at least thats better than Orange.

Reaction Score

lack of student support in all but the big games seems to be pretty common in women's college basketball.........how is the student support for the men's team?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Personally glad to see that Little Carolina has cheap ticket prices. If I do make it to Columbia next month...that just means more money for me to spend at Del Taco :cool:

Of course Ive never been to a Lesser Carolina home game, but Ive seen your traveling crowd twice at Duke, and at the 2015 Regionals here. Very impressed with the road support... and the diversity of the crowd. Didnt see too many blue-hairs... mostly I would say were between 30 and 50 years old..... great mix of blacks and whites, men and women, . thin and hefty, families, very enthusiastic and loud. I have to admit.... too many of them were wearing that hideous shade of garnet..... but at least thats better than Orange.

I only know of one Del Taco in Columbia and it isn't anywhere near the arena. It is much better than Taco Bell, though.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
lack of student support in all but the big games seems to be pretty common in women's college basketball....how is the student support for the men's team?

When the men are doing well the support is good. Many more students attend MBB games even though their average attendance is only a little higher than WBB. The difference was maybe an average of a thousand per game last season. A lot of our women's sports are well attended at USC. Women's Soccer is near the top, nationally, also.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey give credit where credits due.....South Carolina has an amazing thing going on with their attendance regardless of what they charge for a ticket......UConn's crowds have been shrinking a bit despite all of their success.....if attendance would increase with some $5 tickets let's give it a try!
Uconn has shrinking crowds because every game is televised and UConn is out in the boom docks. How many opponents games are televised when they play away????????????? How many opponents fans pay $20+ a tickets plus over $10 for parking???? Hey UConn is fine. Uconn on national TV is the draw. How many games do networks do that arent UConn?????? UConn is it.

Reaction Score
When the men are doing well the support is good. Many more students attend MBB games even though their average attendance is only a little higher than WBB. The difference was maybe an average of a thousand per game last season. A lot of our women's sports are well attended at USC. Women's Soccer is near the top, nationally, also.

Well let's see if the women can keep the crowds coming.....you've set a pretty high mark to maintain........Be on the look out for Justin Minaya who's a freshman on your men's team........his dad and I are old friends........he's a pretty talented kid but I don't know if he'll see any playing time this year...........

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Uconn has shrinking crowds because every game is televised and UConn is out in the boom docks. How many opponents games are televised when they play away????????????? How many opponents fans pay $20+ a tickets plus over $10 for parking???? Hey UConn is fine. Uconn on national TV is the draw. How many games do networks do that arent UConn?????? UConn is it.

The weather plays a role as well. Drive 2 hrs. in snowy conditions or 30 mins. in sunshine?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Still have to give credit to that area for supporting WCBB. I just wish UConn could have played SC for the championship. As I've said before, basketball is like every other sport, and regional rivalries build national audiences. UConn winning a lot doesn't, in my opinion, hurt WCBB. But a good regional rivalry is what builds interest.

Reaction Score
The weather plays a role as well. Drive 2 hrs. in snowy conditions or 30 mins. in sunshine?

yes but we're talking about slightly declining attendance.......I think it may snow less now on average then it did 10 years ago........I have no doubt that extensive TV coverage plays a role in this but don't other top WBB schools have many of their games covered on local/regional TV?

Reaction Score
Well let's see if the women can keep the crowds coming.....you've set a pretty high mark to maintain...Be on the look out for Justin Minaya who's a freshman on your men's team...his dad and I are old friends...he's a pretty talented kid but I don't know if he'll see any playing time this year......
Yes, Justin has made an impact in the two exhibition games. He’s already gone from someone people assumed might need a year in the program to now he could from the start be a solid contributor in the rotation this season. Frank Martin and his staff have been pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough out there, in Minaya it looks like they found another one (thanks to new assistant Chuck Martin).

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well let's see if the women can keep the crowds coming.....you've set a pretty high mark to maintain...Be on the look out for Justin Minaya who's a freshman on your men's team...his dad and I are old friends...he's a pretty talented kid but I don't know if he'll see any playing time this year......

Justin has looked surprisingly good in the 2 exhibition games, so far. I know he wasn't particularly highly recruited, but I think he will have a good career.

Reaction Score
Justin has looked surprisingly good in the 2 exhibition games, so far. I know he wasn't particularly highly recruited, but I think he will have a good career.

Frankly I was surprised he chose South Carolina as he would get less playing time there compared to some of his other choices but he really liked the school and the coach.........he's pretty quick and will certainly add energy to the team off the bench this year..........

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I’ve already been impressed with Minaya. Just a freshman and already probably one of the better scorers on the team. He will develop nicely... I think he’ll see a lot of playing time at SC this year because he can really shoot.. how much playing time will depend on how quickly he learns our defense.. but I already really like Minaya!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
yes but we're talking about slightly declining attendance..I think it may snow less now on average then it did 10 years ago...I have no doubt that extensive TV coverage plays a role in this but don't other top WBB schools have many of their games covered on local/regional TV?

Almost all of our games are televised.. if it’s not on the main ESPN networks then it’s on the SEC Network and if it’s not there then it’s on the digital network. It’s difficult to miss a SC game now thanks to the SEC Network. No SEC sport has benefitted more from the Network than WBB.

Reaction Score
I’ve already been impressed with Minaya. Just a freshman and already probably one of the better scorers on the team. He will develop nicely... I think he’ll see a lot of playing time at SC this year because he can really shoot.. how much playing time will depend on how quickly he learns our defense.. but I already really like Minaya!

His outside shot is a bit streaky but he can also take the ball to the basket........was double teamed throughout his high school career otherwise his numbers would have been a bit better.........has quick hands......had a lot of steals in highs school, don't know how that will translate in college

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Frankly I was surprised he chose South Carolina as he would get less playing time there compared to some of his other choices but he really liked the school and the coach....he's pretty quick and will certainly add energy to the team off the bench this year.....

He's the only freshman to have started in the first 2 games; I know I've been pleasantly surprised.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom