YES. I did listen to all of the B1G Hockey Media interviews | Page 2 | The Boneyard

YES. I did listen to all of the B1G Hockey Media interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except that multiple B1G schools make millions of dollars from hockey, even before getting B1G Network money.

There are multiple BIG schools who make millions of dollars in profit on hockey? I'd love to see that math.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Two wet blankets out to snuff our dreams.

I don't think the B1G is solely about football. Other conferences are. The B1G is about the Brand where all the members stay climbing in Global rankings. They do need content. But do I see your wisdom? Of course.

They aren't only about football.

They are only about money.

Which means they aren't making any meaningful expansion decisions on hockey. Will they add schools to play hockey like they did lacrosse? Sure - but that doesn't do UConn any good.

Reaction Score
Here's a quick look why the B1G should take UConn ... and starkly points out why RUTGERS & Maryland were mistakes:

UConn has a extraordinary history of building a dynamic revenue model out of a college sport (even obscure like WBB & MSOC & MIH).

In that BC article posted by Brassbonanza, UConn is dramatically below the others in Hockey revenue at $189,000 versus $2.5m of the top Programs.

That's in 2010

Here we are in the Hockey East. Successful? Absolutely!! Capable of more revenue than BC or others in the slots 5-10? Yup.

Is this model translatable to CFB? Absolutely. UConn can grow this sport. I have real doubts Delany ever thought that about RUTGERS - the dumpster fire - or our Under Armour franchise.

Reaction Score
it seems to me that if the B1G does something, it does it very well. Why have a hockey conference with only 6 programs? I could see them expanding and UCONN is an obvious choice but given Rule #1....
I don't think ASU Hockey will be invited to the B1G anytime soon. ASU is not the Johns Hopkins of the hockey world.
Hockey East is a hockey conference, unlike the B1G's, so let's enjoy our one power play, so to speak.

Reaction Score
I don't see ND getting into bed with the B1G, something just doesn't work there. Not impossible, but unlikely. If UNL adds, that would only remove the need for hockey-only team #8, unless another joined and they needed a 10th. ASU is far away as hell, but they're a name program with a solid backing. I don't know if it would happen, but there seems to be some traction.

ND has got its own home hockey TV deal with NBC Sports. Combine that with how good Hockey East is, how well it supports ND's move of other sports to the ACC (East Coast), and the antipathy ND has for anything Big Ten related, and you are correct....ND hockey is not going to the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I really don't get Arizona St to the B1G. Travel costs for all involved, especially ASU, are astronomical.

AND, Arizona has absolutely abandoned public education. Where is that money coming from?

There is a certain level of insanity afoot.

But, minor sports tend to have a lot of movement between conferences. The B1G might not even care if ASU comes aboard or leaves.

Reaction Score
ND has got its own home hockey TV deal with NBC Sports. Combine that with how good Hockey East is, how well it supports ND's move of other sports to the ACC (East Coast), and the antipathy ND has for anything Big Ten related, and you are correct....ND hockey is not going to the Big Ten.

Who gives a duckk?

Reaction Score
That's revenue and there is no math. But yeah there is a good chance that Minnesota and Wisconsin couldif that revenue is real.

This shows Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan profiting as of 2010, before B1G announced that hockey schools would receive an extra $2 million per year from BTN. An extra $2 million would put Michigan State and Ohio State into profit as well. This link doesn't have Penn State's numbers as they we not yet started. See the second link for Penn State's profits.

http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11205

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...it-in-first-year-at-pegula-ice-arena,1462821/

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This shows Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan profiting as of 2010, before B1G announced that hockey schools would receive an extra $2 million per year from BTN. An extra $2 million would put Michigan State and Ohio State into profit as well. This link doesn't have Penn State's numbers as they we not yet started. See the second link for Penn State's profits.

http://www.gopherpucklive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11205

http://www.statecollege.com/news/lo...it-in-first-year-at-pegula-ice-arena,1462821/

He said multiple schools making millions before the recent TV money. These numbers are generally cooked beyond belief - but before the TV money there were a few schools in the black and Minnesota was doing pretty well.

Michigan and Ohio State probably make more on a single football game - I'll believe a niche sports impacts CR when it happens.

Reaction Score
I really don't get Arizona St to the B1G. Travel costs for all involved, especially ASU, are astronomical.

AND, Arizona has absolutely abandoned public education. Where is that money coming from?

But, minor sports tend to have a lot of movement between conferences. The B1G might not even care if ASU comes aboard or leaves.
I suspect Hockey will be somewhat funded privately like men's wrestling which ASU dropped

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
ASU also had a huge eight figure gift thrown at them to fund hockey.

Reaction Score
Terry someone should clue in ND Hockey HC Jeff Jackson about how HE is the place for them..he was whining like a little bitch last yr about his team having to play in our conference.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't see how any HE member could whine about playing in the Hockey East. If it is truly that big of a deal, then go to another conference. My guess is that they won't do that because they want their program to play as eastern as possible and in the best conferences for non-football sports.

If we go B1G, I will truly miss the HE schedule already. Don't get me wrong - it wouldn't nor shouldn't be any sort of a barrier or decision. I'll just miss it, that's all. Hopefully we'll continue playing against some HE schools on an annual basis.

Reaction Score
I don't see how any HE member could whine about playing in the Hockey East. If it is truly that big of a deal, then go to another conference. My guess is that they won't do that because they want their program to play as eastern as possible and in the best conferences for non-football sports.

If we go B1G, I will truly miss the HE schedule already. Don't get me wrong - it wouldn't nor shouldn't be any sort of a barrier or decision. I'll just miss it, that's all. Hopefully we'll continue playing against some HE schools on an annual basis.
This story broke last season Dooley
http://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...eaving-hockey-east-for-nchc-rumors-heating-up

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that the B1G offered ND to join B1G hockey as a hockey only ember; but, ND spurned the offer and went to Hockey East. No way that door re-opens. The B1G will only allow ND in as a full member and that will only happen if the ACC falls apart (my money is on the XII falling apart first).

From what I understood, that was not the case; rather, it was the other way around. Before Notre Dame joined Hockey East, they approached the Big Ten about the possibility of joining for hockey only. That was brushed aside and they then asked the Big Ten about the possibility of a similar arrangement that Notre Dame wound up getting with the ACC. The Big Ten told them it was all or nothing.

The Big Ten had no interest in having Notre Dame as an affiliate member in any specific sports, because it felt that would compromise any chance it had of luring Notre Dame as a full member at that point in time. Whether Notre Dame would have picked the ACC instead of the Big Ten for its current arrangement is something we'll never know for sure, but it certainly broached that idea.

Reaction Score
Terry someone should clue in ND Hockey HC Jeff Jackson about how HE is the place for them..he was whining like a little bitch last yr about his team having to play in our conference.

Coaches come and go....

Reaction Score
Here in Jersey Rutgers adding hockey has been the rumor for a while. But since the move to the B1G and the subsequent cluster ation of the Athletic Department, I don't know that anyone feasibly thinks this is possible in the near future. Just too many other problems to address first.

It's really not even being talked about.

It was talked about right before and after Rutgers joined the B1G and Pernetti was open to it, though money was the key issue. Since then, the money issue has gotten worse and Hermann has basically been a train wreck. So, such talk has died.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i..._ice_hockey_at_rutgers_alumni_are_on_a_m.html

The wildcard is that everyone is pushing for some sort of replacement or upgrade for the RAC along with several other upgrades, such as a basketball practice facility. Thus, if the RAC is replaced, will such a replacement include a ice rink? Right now, it does not.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball..._the_future_first_look_at_the_new_basket.html

PS - the original idea in the late 1070's was to build a 13K basketball/hockey arena in downtown New Brunswick for Rutgers. Later, the same arena was proposed for Rutgers Livingston campus; but, money was lows, so only a basketball arena was built - the RAC. A dual purpose replacement forth e RAC was floated in the mid 1990's and early 2000's; but, went nowhere.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...utgers-basketball-facilities-crisis/27241339/

Reaction Score
Without a large donation, Rutgers won't be getting hockey. It's a VERY expensive sport, especially if you don't have an existing facility.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Two wet blankets out to snuff our dreams.

I don't think the B1G is solely about football. Other conferences are. The B1G is about the Brand where all the members stay climbing in Global rankings. They do need content. But do I see your wisdom? Of course.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Bah don't listen to those naysayers. I mean really we've got a rumor to the contrary coming out of a car wash. You can't make that stuff up. Are you telling some guy is going to stop drying my rims just to make up a conference realignment rumor? How likely is that? UConn hasn't played BC since Fredo left the conference, now suddenly we're best buds, playing each other in hockey, and football, but it's not a sign or anything right? Every step Suzie Herbst seems to be aimed at giving us a B1G profile. Do you think that is just coincidence or maybe it's just a bit more likely that she is working off of a laundry list from Delaney?

No my friends, there's something happening here. Now I'll admit that it ain't exactly clear. It's time we stop and look around. Everybody look what's going down.

Reaction Score

Travel costs are going to be astronomical for ASU regardless of what conference they join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom