YES. I did listen to all of the B1G Hockey Media interviews | The Boneyard

YES. I did listen to all of the B1G Hockey Media interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From media.

3 out of the 6 Program Coaches spoke frankly about B1G expansion (Michigan's Red Berenson, Michigan State's Tom Anastos (former commissioner of conference) and Wisconsin Mike Eaves).

http://btn.com/2015/10/01/audio-listen-to-the-big-ten-hockey-preseason-coaches-teleconference/

And, without reservation, each stated that the conference is eager and enthused to expand. BRAND name Universities and peer partners to the current 6. They talked about it extensively in the Spring. And, backdoor behind-the-scenes discussions have taken place. One suggested that the likely timeframe is 3-5 years. Asked specifically whether this could be for Hockey only, Red Berenson (*the dean of College Hockey here) said that it was possible and something discussed; however, it was more likely to be a bigger commitment from a school beyond hockey. Asked whether this was embraced across the conference, Anastos stated enthusiasm on all parties.

Berenson said he played in the NHL when there were only 6 clubs and that worked well; and this B1G structure worked well. But, he thought that there were a lot of good ideas on adding at least 2.

Looking at the Map. I make the following assumptions: (a.) No Ivy University will go to the B1G. They don't really need the money. They will like to continue to be attached to the other Ivy. So, the most likely (in my mind), Cornell and Princeton are out. Yale, Harvard, Brown and Dartmouth are all non-starters. (b.) You can't take the B1G to the next time zone and take Privates. So, Colorado College and University of Denver are out. Lots of good Privates throughout the Hockey East and the ECAC; but, I can't see it. (c.) Nope on Notre Dame. This is not something important to ND; they aren't likely to give on this when there are strong reasons in their other sports. (d.) Lesser State schools in current B1G states are not candidates unless they are overwhelmingly great Academics. No to Minnesota State, Minnesota - Duluth, Bowling Green, Western Michigan.

OK ... I nominate UConn.

But ... what else might work?

I really only see 3 possibilities and all are hard to wrap your head around better than dear old Storrs.

They are: Miami University (Oxford, Ohio) - a Public Ivy of 15,726 that would balance off the state of Ohio from Columbus. Excellent Academics. Not likely to be All-Sports though. Nebraska - Omaha - a solid peer/sister school to Nebraska - Lincoln and already a solid Hockey school. Plays in that new conference and doesn't look like all that easy a fit. Decent size at 14,903 enrollment. North Dakota (Grand Forks, ND) with 15,250 enrollment. A great Hockey Program; yet, hard to see the Grand Forks market desirable or any of the other pieces. No offense.

Not one whisper of a Illinois or a Purdue/Indiana or a Rutgers (ha) starting a Program. Zero. Emphasis was on grabbing an existing Program.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Its a matter of when and not if for UNL adding hockey. Just need to figure out the women's sport they'll add with it. Pinnacle Bank Arena was built with that in mind. UNO is out for that reason.

Also Arizona State seems likely to join the B1G for hockey. Not sure how that would affect any other future members.

Reaction Score
Unilaterally, all B1G hockey coaches HATE the current setup of the B1G hockey league and would absolutely welcome expansion of some kind. There's a LOT of speculation that ASU will be joining them when they're full D1 members. There's also some smoke out there about North Dakota possibly being a hockey-only member as team 8.

Reaction Score
Things change ... but this was easily found:

"Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst threw cold water on the idea of the athletic department starting up a division 1 ice hockey program. The only sport Nebraska has any intention of starting is the new sand volleyball program. That's cold water, not the ice that a hockey program would need."

and

from the Daily Nebraskan

"The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is also constructing the brand new John A. Breslow Ice Center for its club hockey team . The Breslow is an $11 million project set to open in the fall of 2015.

The Breslow arena is planned to have a capacity of 750. Should the program grow out of the Breslow, the Pinnacle Bank Arena could be next in line.

The PBA is capable of maintaining an ice rink. The ice has only been brought out once (not for hockey players, but for Disney on Ice), but the ability is still there."

Reading tea leaves, this is not a priority for the University in Lincoln.

B. Look how far Arizona State is from the next furthest west. How does that work?

Reaction Score
Unilaterally, all B1G hockey coaches HATE the current setup of the B1G hockey league and would absolutely welcome expansion of some kind. There's a LOT of speculation that ASU will be joining them when they're full D1 members. There's also some smoke out there about North Dakota possibly being a hockey-only member as team 8.
Here's the question I have...we all know ND HC Jeff Jackson HATES playing in HE...would they be a candidate for the B1G as hockey only?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Things change ... but this was easily found:

"Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst threw cold water on the idea of the athletic department starting up a division 1 ice hockey program. The only sport Nebraska has any intention of starting is the new sand volleyball program. That's cold water, not the ice that a hockey program would need."

and

from the Daily Nebraskan

"The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is also constructing the brand new John A. Breslow Ice Center for its club hockey team . The Breslow is an $11 million project set to open in the fall of 2015.

The Breslow arena is planned to have a capacity of 750. Should the program grow out of the Breslow, the Pinnacle Bank Arena could be next in line.

The PBA is capable of maintaining an ice rink. The ice has only been brought out once (not for hockey players, but for Disney on Ice), but the ability is still there."

Reading tea leaves, this is not a priority for the University in Lincoln.

B. Look how far Arizona State is from the next furthest west. How does that work?

In fairness that quote is probably ~3-4 years old. I'm an avid Husker sports follower/reader/message board poster. Its a pretty popular opinion by many that they'll add a hockey team. Maybe not in the next 2 years but the money is there for it and Nebraska packs the stadium for almost every sport (theres a season ticket waiting list for volleyball in a 12k seat arena) meaning theres good odds it would be a revenue generator for the university.

Definitely possible they don't add but just giving you a consensus opinion of the fan base.

Reaction Score
Here's the question I have...we all know ND HC Jeff Jackson HATES playing in HE...would they be a candidate for the B1G as hockey only?
I don't see ND getting into bed with the B1G, something just doesn't work there. Not impossible, but unlikely. If UNL adds, that would only remove the need for hockey-only team #8, unless another joined and they needed a 10th. ASU is far away as hell, but they're a name program with a solid backing. I don't know if it would happen, but there seems to be some traction.

Reaction Score
UNL will be receiving a full share of B1G revenue in a couple years. And if the $2 Million bonus for hockey is still there, I say UNL will be playing hockey in 3-5 years.

ND just needs to make a call should they want to stop flying to all their games; but I think Terry would have a heart attack.

Reaction Score

Rumor has it that the B1G offered ND to join B1G hockey as a hockey only ember; but, ND spurned the offer and went to Hockey East. No way that door re-opens. The B1G will only allow ND in as a full member and that will only happen if the ACC falls apart (my money is on the XII falling apart first).

Reaction Score
Rumor has it that the B1G offered ND to join B1G hockey as a hockey only ember; but, ND spurned the offer and went to Hockey East. No way that door re-opens. The B1G will only allow ND in as a full member and that will only happen if the ACC falls apart (my money is on the XII falling apart first).

I really think B1G wouldn't mind adding ND for hockey. Makes more sense than Arizona State.

Reaction Score
Red Berenson (*the dean of College Hockey here) said that it was possible and something discussed; however, it was more likely to be a bigger commitment from a school beyond hockey.
So, the Big Ten is going to still expand. And expand with a school that brings in hockey. Hmmmm. Kansas? Nope. Oklahoma? Nope. UVA? Nope. VTech? Nope. I just wonder...

Reaction Score
From media.

3 out of the 6 Program Coaches spoke frankly about B1G expansion (Michigan's Red Berenson, Michigan State's Tom Anastos (former commissioner of conference) and Wisconsin Mike Eaves).

Not one whisper of a Illinois or a Purdue/Indiana or a Rutgers (ha) starting a Program. Zero. Emphasis was on grabbing an existing Program.

Talk is that Rutgers would love to add hockey and hockey draws a decent crowd in Jersey; but, Rutgers does not have an arena and had no money to build an arena nor develop a D1 program. With the money issues at Rutgers and the state, no chance Trenton ponies-up money either. Thus, their only chance is Pegula like donor popping-up and basically seeding the entire thing like what happened at Penn St. The only wrinkle is that there is a growing realization that the RAC, Rutgers' basketball arena, needs to be replaced, and the talk is that if it is replace, it will be replaced with a dual purpose arena that coudl host a hockey program if one is put in place. That is 5 to 10 years away tough.

Maryland is in a similar place to Rutgers with possible interest; but, no money. I also believe that Maryland's Xfinity Center was not built with an ice sheet.

Once school I am surprised has not been rumored is Northwestern. They have the money and Chicago is a good hockey town.

Reaction Score
Talk is that Rutgers would love to add hockey and hockey draws a decent crowd in Jersey; but, Rutgers does not have an arena and had no money to build an arena nor develop a D1 program. With the money issues at Rutgers and the state, no chance Trenton ponies-up money either. Thus, their only chance is Pegula like donor popping-up and basically seeding the entire thing like what happened at Penn St. The only wrinkle is that there is a growing realization that the RAC, Rutgers' basketball arena, needs to be replaced, and the talk is that if it is replace, it will be replaced with a dual purpose arena that coudl host a hockey program if one is put in place. That is 5 to 10 years away tough.

Maryland is in a similar place to Rutgers with possible interest; but, no money. I also believe that Maryland's Xfinity Center was not built with an ice sheet.

Once school I am surprised has not been rumored is Northwestern. They have the money and Chicago is a good hockey town.

Here in Jersey Rutgers adding hockey has been the rumor for a while. But since the move to the B1G and the subsequent clusterduckation of the Athletic Department, I don't know that anyone feasibly thinks this is possible in the near future. Just too many other problems to address first.

It's really not even being talked about.

Reaction Score
B1G Hockey Conference needs to be:

Connecticut (added for all sports) - Hockey is popular in the Northeast, B1G wants more Northeast exposure
Illinois (upgrades club team) - Previously had a successful D1 program, has a very popular club team, rich hockey state
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
North Dakota (added for hockey only) - National college hockey draw, historical rival of Minn and Wisc
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers (upgrades club team) - Popular club team, only one other D1 school in a rich hockey state
Wisconsin

I would not care to ever see Nebraska, Iowa, Purdue, or Indiana play D1/B1G hockey. Maryland and Northwestern maybe, but I would prefer the above set up.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't see ND getting into bed with the B1G, something just doesn't work there. Not impossible, but unlikely. If UNL adds, that would only remove the need for hockey-only team #8, unless another joined and they needed a 10th. ASU is far away as hell, but they're a name program with a solid backing. I don't know if it would happen, but there seems to be some traction.

The Big10 would take ASU in a heartbeat. There are a bunch of Big10 alumni in the area (some have said more than PAC12 alumni) that would have pack the arena.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hockey has the odd distinction of making women's basketball seem popular.

It's so valuable schools in the Big Ten can't be bothered to upgrade.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

At the schools that play it, I'd wager that hockey is more popular than women's basketball.

Any who, this might not be a thread that needs your participation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big10 would take ASU in a heartbeat. There are a bunch of Big10 alumni in the area (some have said more than PAC12 alumni) that would have pack the arena.

I don't think alumni are "packing" the arena any time soon, but I'd say that Arizona State is a heavy favorite to be included should the Big Ten expand hockey. (Someone in conference will add hockey and join them.)

I don't see UConn being a serious Big Ten candidate in the near future.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At the schools that play it, I'd wager that hockey is more popular than women's basketball.

Any who, this might not be a thread that needs your participation.

No thread needs my participation so that could be a blanket statement.

Weird you'd pick this one to point it out.

I guess you've got me covered on the UConn to Big Ten talk is fantasy.

Reaction Score
Two wet blankets out to snuff our dreams.

I don't think the B1G is solely about football. Other conferences are. The B1G is about the Brand where all the members stay climbing in Global rankings. They do need content. But do I see your wisdom? Of course.

Reaction Score

It's so valuable schools in the Big Ten can't be bothered to upgrade.
Except that multiple B1G schools make millions of dollars from hockey, even before getting B1G Network money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom