Yeah but, Edsall is doing a marvelous job with our culture. | The Boneyard

Yeah but, Edsall is doing a marvelous job with our culture.

Reaction Score
Simply put, their knowledge of the finer points of American football can only be characterized as erudite. Astoundingly, all the interior lineman now drink tea with an extended pinky.

The locker room is an interior designer's dream. And dare I even describe the meeting rooms.

Yes, our culture has been vastly improved, any fool can see it. Thank you ever so much Mr. Edsall.

Reaction Score
Are you asserting that the culture has not changed in the locker room? Not understanding this post.

Reaction Score
Simply put, their knowledge of the finer points of American football can only be characterized as erudite. Astoundingly, all the interior lineman now drink tea with an extended pinky.

The locker room is an interior designer's dream. And dare I even describe the meeting rooms.

Yes, our culture has been vastly improved, any fool can see it. Thank you ever so much Mr. Edsall.

If you wanted me to take your criticism seriously, you were welcome to have joined me in 241 yesterday so you would have actually understood what the weather was. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Every coach thinks he is bringing a positive winning culture into the locker room. Every coach.

What we see in sports is that winning breeds winning regardless of culture. Culture is not definable in terms of wins and loses. There are numerous examples of teammates that hate each or great players who are lazy or prima donnas. BTW, the players hated Vince Lombardi who was an angry bully. Win and you can have any culture you want.

From my experience (and that of UConn) culture is just another excuse for lousy football.

Reaction Score
If you wanted me to take your criticism seriously, you were welcome to have joined me in 241 yesterday so you would have actually understood what the weather was. Just saying.
Why are you acting like people don't understand conditions because they were not there?

Did I have to be in Mexico Beach to know that conditions were really crappy when Michael came ashore? No.

We know you were at the game. We know you have the sniffles. But we also know that HD TV has made it so we are able to tell the difference between rain and a shyty TV reception with rabbit ears.

Reaction Score
Hard to believe Randy Edsall is a conservative, underachieving coach.

I mean, who could have ever seen that coming.
Hard to believe Kevin Ollie cheated as a dishonest coach, or lied to the Athletic Director and the schools president.

l mean who could have seen that one coming. Glen Miller aside, Lol.
;)

Reaction Score
Had to expect that the chirps would be getting louder about HCRE after this turd yesterday... My biggest concern with 1.0 was the play not to lose on offense and bend but don't break mentality on defense. Both on full exhibit yesterday with 6 pass plays and a defense that was stout in the first half and then made some adjustments which seemed to have given UMASS a 1st round draft pick in Isabella (sp?).

At this point though, I just don't see any path right now except to see if Edsall can get this thing out of reverse. I'm as frustrated as anyone on this board watching the demise of Uconn Football the past 6 years. Getting rid of Edsall right now would only put football deeper in the hole.

Edsall's plan is to rebuild the program from the bottom up and basically start over with the players and coaches. Doing that essentially added 1-2 years of rebuilding. It is clear that any wins this season are a complete fluke. It's also clear that next year isn't likely to be a bowl season.

Realistic expectations need to be made and the fans have to realize that those expectations are reality. There isn't a win left on this season. So when the team loses, take it for what it's worth. Young players getting serious playing time and hopefully building for the next 2-3 seasons. If the team wins one more game this season, pure gravy.

Next year, I really don't expect much either at this point. I would start at 2-3 wins tops. Those calling for 6 wins or a bowl appearance are setting themselves up for misery. I just don't see it.

Right now, the ship is in drydock, the propellers are off, and the engines are flooded with saltwater. But hopefully with some consistency for a change and with Edsall's ability to develop talent this ship is ready to leave port for the 2020 season.

Reaction Score
are you suggesting it was the weather yesterday?

Reaction Score
After watching every minute of yesterday's game and reading RE's apologia for the game plan, I can only conclude that if he hasn't "lost the team" yet he soon will. He was basically telling every player on the team that he no confidence in their ability to execute anything more complicated than a basic pee wee league offense.

For those who say he needs "his own guys" all I have to say is he's not exactly on course to load up the roster with four stars. The saddest part of his return is that it makes it almost impossible for the program to go in another direction for at least 2 more years.

Reaction Score
In RE 1.0 he had assistants who would push back at him Ambrose,Wilson,Orlando. I think even some players pushed back at him. I don't see any of that now. All are afraid to question his decisions.
Again, go the Juco route or this program is doomed. With the string of losing seasons, no recruit is coming to Storrs
who has offers from say Buffalo or Temple

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Had to expect that the chirps would be getting louder about HCRE after this turd yesterday... My biggest concern with 1.0 was the play not to lose on offense and bend but don't break mentality on defense. Both on full exhibit yesterday with 6 pass plays and a defense that was stout in the first half and then made some adjustments which seemed to have given UMASS a 1st round draft pick in Isabella (sp?).

At this point though, I just don't see any path right now except to see if Edsall can get this thing out of reverse. I'm as frustrated as anyone on this board watching the demise of Uconn Football the past 6 years. Getting rid of Edsall right now would only put football deeper in the hole.

Edsall's plan is to rebuild the program from the bottom up and basically start over with the players and coaches. Doing that essentially added 1-2 years of rebuilding. It is clear that any wins this season are a complete fluke. It's also clear that next year isn't likely to be a bowl season.

Realistic expectations need to be made and the fans have to realize that those expectations are reality. There isn't a win left on this season. So when the team loses, take it for what it's worth. Young players getting serious playing time and hopefully building for the next 2-3 seasons. If the team wins one more game this season, pure gravy.

Next year, I really don't expect much either at this point. I would start at 2-3 wins tops. Those calling for 6 wins or a bowl appearance are setting themselves up for misery. I just don't see it.

Right now, the ship is in drydock, the propellers are off, and the engines are flooded with saltwater. But hopefully with some consistency for a change and with Edsall's ability to develop talent this ship is ready to leave port for the 2020 season.

We don't have the luxury of unlimited time sitting around waiting for two seasons from now to do anything positive.

Reaction Score
are you suggesting it was the weather yesterday?
The weather was tough and the wind made it more difficult. It was probably worse on us than the players. UMass’ backup QB could throw the ball fairly effectively and I’m sure we could have at least thrown to keep the defense honest.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every coach thinks he is bringing a positive winning culture into the locker room. Every coach.

What we see in sports is that winning breeds winning regardless of culture. Culture is not definable in terms of wins and loses. There are numerous examples of teammates that hate each or great players who are lazy or prima donnas. BTW, the players hated Vince Lombardi who was an angry bully. Win and you can have any culture you want.

From my experience (and that of UConn) culture is just another excuse for lousy football.

Wow. Pal has something nailed.

Reaction Score

Yep. Clue #1, that their FOS. It's always the previous guys culture that's the problem.

Reaction Score
Yep. Clue #1, that their FOS. It's always the previous guys culture that's the problem.

Well, in this case.... just winning breakfast and having dinner taste good wasn’t working either ;)

Reaction Score
Well, in this case.... just winning breakfast and having dinner taste good wasn’t working either ;)
We were breakfast national champions. Couldn't top the oatmeal. I know Edsall isn't going nowhere. Nor do I think its even in our best interest to can him.

But you can't watch yesterday's game and think his game plan didn't cost that game against a local school they will be recruiting against. We clearly had an advantage on both lines. Probably the only time all year we will. If their QB who isn't on Pindell's level could throw the ball so could we. Except you can't account for his small whopper hands.

Reaction Score
We were breakfast national champions. Couldn't top the oatmeal. I know Edsall isn't going nowhere. Nor do I think its even in our best interest to can him.

But you can't watch yesterday's game and think his game plan didn't cost that game against a local school they will be recruiting against. We clearly had an advantage on both lines. Probably the only time all year we will.

No argument whatsoever... he inexplicably screwed the pooch yesterday when the program most needed a win.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nobody questioned that this was going to be a tough recovery and take a while, but its not the worst turnaround anyone's ever had anywhere. There should be at least SOME signs- recruiting, young players, fan enthusiasm.

UConn has none of those. Inexcusable.

Reaction Score
I’d like to think I still have some enthusiasm for the team, but yesterday was just brutal. I thought we looked pretty good for a few minutes (first drive)... but we never seem to make any in-game adjustments, on either O or D.
We look like we’re playing 8 on 11 on both sides.

Reaction Score

I just wrote this. Nothing more nauseating than the "culture" excuse. There is a level of behaviour expected in intercollegiate athletics (I.e. - it's not ok for players to be racking up $45,000 bar and strip club bills the night before a game- see Jax Jaguars- or 1983 SMU mustangs) but football teams are an amalgam of society. Not everybody is going to besties. But you're expected to be accountable for your job to prepare and win. Players have scholarships, and a free ride to what thousands of other young adults and families are paying beaucoup $ for.

Respect it, and play for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom