Yanks | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Yanks

Reaction Score
not sure I’d be counting on DJ or Gio to repeat their 2019s.
But yes not getting a starter at the deadline was a bit of a head scratcher.

Agree on Gio and while there’s no doubt DJ had a great year I’m guessing he won’t be far off. Remember he won a batting title in 2016 with a very high average he’s a good hitter. All the numbers could be hard to repeat but he will be close if healthy. Add a JD Martinez type where you can count on .290-.310/30/100 and they will all improve a little, see better pitches. Also would love a real lead off hitter to put DJ 2nd and Judge 3rd in the order. I’m not talking Hicks or Gardner either, someone consistent with a .380-.400 OBP who can steal a base. Not sure who that is but we can use him. Lol

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Agree on Gio and while there’s no doubt DJ had a great year I’m guessing he won’t be far off. Remember he won a batting title in 2016 with a very high average he’s a good hitter. All the numbers could be hard to repeat but he will be close if healthy. Add a JD Martinez type where you can count on .290-.310/30/100 and they will all improve a little, see better pitches. Also would love a real lead off hitter to put DJ 2nd and Judge 3rd in the order. I’m not talking Hicks or Gardner either, someone consistent with a .380-.400 OBP who can steal a base. Not sure who that is but we can use him. Lol

they won’t be running much with judge and Stanton behind him.

Its most efficient to hit your best hitter second.

and I think ny saves their pennies for wheeler.

the Q

Reaction Score
You forgot Judge. A core of Judge, Gleyber, DJ, Andujar, and Gio. I let Didi walk, and only bring back Gardner if he takes a 1 year deal for not much money. Get a couple bats who spray the ball and don't swing for the fences.

I like Paxton, Tanaka, and Sevy but they need a true ace. Got to get Cole. I have no clue what to do with Gary, he's wildly overrated. He improved behind the plate but still scares me and he can't hit good playoff pitching. He's a mistake hitter and playoff pitchers rarely make mistakes.

i think they save all their pennies for wheeler and try to add a lefty bat somewhere. They really need one more.

Reaction Score
they won’t be running much with judge and Stanton behind him.

Its most efficient to hit your best hitter second.

and I think ny saves their pennies for wheeler.

Wheeler not worth much maybe a 3 not thrilled with that quite honestly unless just thinking a replacement for CC, would be ok.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Check your history. When the century turned to the 1900s, the Sox won a few championships. Then the 1920s came and they didn't win another for 80+ years while the Yanks win 26.
Turn to the 2,000s, wash rinse repeat. We will be at 52 before the Sox win again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Check your history.
I did and I found that this was the first decade since the 1910's where the Yankees didn't make a WS appearance. That made this year's Yankee Elimination Day extra special.

Reaction Score
Since youre an engineer I’ll use math.

To walk altuve you’d need to think he was more likely to get an extra base hit than Marisnik was to not make an out.
Altuve X
xbh rate: .111
Marisnek obp: .289
Where is the math? You aren't very good at math, are you? Also, let me point out that your statistics are only marginally relevant. First of all, OBP is not what matters. If you want to add in the probability of him walking, you need to ask what is the probability of him either getting a hit or him walking AND the next guy getting a hit. What is Marisnek's batting average with runners in scoring position? How about his batting average with runners in scoring position in the 9th inning. Against this specific pitcher?

Compare that to Altuve's xbh average with runners on...in the 9th...at home...against this pitcher. Really, the only way to solve this argument is using a monte carlo analysis including all factors. Hell, you should even throw in post season versus regular season if enough data exists. This is way more complex that the simple math you were TRYING to use.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I did and I found that this was the first decade since the 1910's where the Yankees didn't make a WS appearance. That made this year's Yankee Elimination Day extra special.

Be careful, you might have forgotten about another 3-peat of world championships we have

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Don't care. There are a lot of things that every manager used to do that no one does anymore. And I am not even saying that. All I am saying is that there are NO absolute truths and it depends on the situation. This case was not typical at all. Extreme situations mean you might want to buck convention.
Agree. Even the announcer brought this up. Altuve is a dead fastball hitter and that includes the 100 MPH type
like Chappy's. So that is why Chappy is throwing him sliders (not at all his best pitch). He hung an 84 MPH slider. You really don't want to lose on that kind pitch. Walk Altuve and strikeout Marisnek. Monday morning QB is easy but this was a real alternative.

the Q

Reaction Score
If the Yankees do that they're going to fall short again. The last thing they need is a 4th starter, they need an ace.

Wheeler is more like a 2/3 who suffered behind the Mets atrocious defense. You’re gonna have to pay Cole more than David price got to bring him to Ny.

Reaction Score
Wheeler is more like a 2/3 who suffered behind the Mets atrocious defense. You’re gonna have to pay Cole more than David price got to bring him to Ny.

Don’t see 2 nice 3 maybe closer to 3/4. He did finish strong this year with good stats vs non playoff teams got his ERA under 4 to 3.96. Add half a run for the AL you have a 4.5 guy can’t pay too much. Would prefer using the money for a stud but admittedly don’t know who else besides Cole. Open the bank for him!

the Q

Reaction Score
I think the Astros are a far superior team and will win the World Series. However, I predict that Cole will struggle. His control has been slipping the last couple of games. He was so good that it didn't matter. But, at some point, it will cross a threshold. I don't know if the Nats have a good enough lineup to do serious damage but Cole is no longer the invincible man.

The problem with the Yankees is Cashman. He loves home run hitters and doesn't value dominant pitchers. On the latter, I can understand because so many dominate pitchers suddenly fall apart and become ordinary. You don't want to get too many of those guys under big contracts. But is it not his job to pick out the durable ones? As far as hitting goes, this string of home run guys are great for winning lots of games off of teams with bad or even decent pitching. The problem is that they often get shut down by great pitchers. If you don't have some guys that hit for average, you are in trouble against a team like the Astros. Dominate pitchers and guys who hit for average win championships. If you have too many holes in your lineup, you had better have dominate pitchers.

The Astros and dodgers have done it is the correct way. Draft and develop your hitters and trade for pitching (or sign guys to short term or low risk deals).

Reaction Score
Check your history. When the century turned to the 1900s, the Sox won a few championships. Then the 1920s came and they didn't win another for 80+ years while the Yanks win 26.
Turn to the 2,000s, wash rinse repeat. We will be at 52 before the Sox win again.
Yeah O.K. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Lol

Reaction Score
You sound bitter. Is it because your team didn't even make the playoffs? Probably. The best thing for the Yanks is relevancy. The Yanks not only will be very good for the next decade, the Mets are an organizational disaster and the Red Sox seem content in slipping further into oblivion. Advantage, Yankees.
Who has won the most championships in the last 20 years?

Reaction Score
Can you guess which major league player who across a full season has the most bad calls go against him according to statcast? But it's probably his fault for being 6'7".
What's a bad call LOSER

Reaction Score
I just don't see him being any better than Paxton, Severino, and Tanaka. There is no point getting someone like him when they need an ace, a true star pitcher. The best pitcher in baseball is a free agent and he just so happens to be a Yankees fan and have a history with the Yankees. The Yankees have the money, it's time for Hal to finally show he actually cares about winning a World Series.

the Q

Reaction Score
I just don't see him being any better than Paxton, Severino, and Tanaka. There is no point getting someone like him when they need an ace, a true star pitcher. The best pitcher in baseball is a free agent and he just so happens to be a Yankees fan and have a history with the Yankees. The Yankees have the money, it's time for Hal to finally show he actually cares about winning a World Series.

I don’t disagree. There isn’t a team on earth that couldn’t use Cole. The only question how how much and can they afford it.

But cheaping out for another Happ does nothing for you either.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
not sure I’d be counting on DJ or Gio to repeat their 2019s.
But yes not getting a starter at the deadline was a bit of a head scratcher.
i'd count on dj for the rest of his baseball career. boy can flat out play.

the Q

Reaction Score
Where is the math? You aren't very good at math, are you? Also, let me point out that your statistics are only marginally relevant. First of all, OBP is not what matters. If you want to add in the probability of him walking, you need to ask what is the probability of him either getting a hit or him walking AND the next guy getting a hit. What is Marisnek's batting average with runners in scoring position? How about his batting average with runners in scoring position in the 9th inning. Against this specific pitcher?

Compare that to Altuve's xbh average with runners on...in the 9th...at home...against this pitcher. Really, the only way to solve this argument is using a monte carlo analysis including all factors. Hell, you should even throw in post season versus regular season if enough data exists. This is way more complex that the simple math you were TRYING to use.

No. You’re over thinking it.

With Springer on first only an extra base hit wins the game for you.

If marisnik gets on base they either win or Bergman hits with the bases loaded (worse than altuve with Springer on first).

You may wanna consider platoon for altuve, but it’s also Chapman, one is the best arms in the world, as compared to altuve’s numbers against everyone, including many inferior pitchers.

Reaction Score
Is coles history something besides being drafted by the Yankees but choosing to go to college?

Reaction Score
Two rings in the last 5 seasons seems pretty relevant to me. I remember when Yankee fans used to woof about rings. Now they woof about finishing ahead of teams with higher payrolls.
They were a joke this year and looking to further cut payroll. I am projecting forward, not backward. Those contracts for Sale, Eovaldi, and Price will hurt for years!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom