Yankplosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Good grief.

Reaction Score
Have to wonder how Girardi didn't pull Cano after yet another lackluster effort running to first in the top of the 9th.........stopped running when he saw it was hit right at the 3rd baseman, started running when he saw it ricochet off of him and then a bad throw the 1st baseman was still able to tag him.......if he ran from the start he is safe and the inning is alive.......then to top it off runner on 2nd 2 out and slow roller between 1st and 2nd and instead of laying out for the team and keeping the guy at 3rd he tries to make a great play.......love Cano's ability, hate the dog he is.......

This is not a good baseball team and they really could lose sight of the playoffs never mind the East!!! Orioles and Rays have better staffs and are getting clutch hits, something the Yankes haven't done all year. Love the Yanks but even when winning this team has been a painful watch!!!

Reaction Score
I lost respect for Cano in this game. He didn't look very interested in winning the game.

Reaction Score
Cano did something to his hip earlier in the game, so I can understand him not running full out on an expected out after that. If they lost him for any length of time, on top of the other injuries, it would be disastrous. The team is clearly treading water - not well - trying to get healthy, while the teams chasing them are hot. Looks like their lead is lost, so it's a good thing they still have games with Baltimore and TB left. We'll see what they've got left.

Reaction Score
His hip sure looked fine as he was hitting an opposite field HR and sprinting around the bases.
Let's face it, he doesn't like to sacrifice his body in the field, he makes some nice rangy-plays and has a great arm, but Monday's effort is why he'll never win a gold glove. that and the fact that Pedroia will keep winning it while they're in the same league.
I don't recall ever seeing Cano dive for a ball now that I'm thinking about it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
His hip sure looked fine as he was hitting an opposite field HR and sprinting around the bases.
Let's face it, he doesn't like to sacrifice his body in the field, he makes some nice rangy-plays and has a great arm, but Monday's effort is why he'll never win a gold glove. that and the fact that Pedroia will keep winning it while they're in the same league.

0% of talent evaulators think Pedroia is a better fielder. Get out of here with that crap.

You know why he doesn't dive? Because he almost never has to. That was a ball that no other second baseman in baseball, ESPECIALLY not Pedroia, even comes close to. Yeah, he should have dove for it. But the reason he didn't is completely understandable.

Reaction Score

Agreed to a point but Cano was a much better fielder than Pedroia last year and it wasn't close.....perception won it then....this year he is still better but still too nonchalant and I agree on that!

Yesterday he needed to save that run and I know Petey would have.....it was an easy dive, not even just a smother instead he elected to try to make the great play. Bad move and cost the team in that inning on the top and the bottom of it!!

Reaction Score
Agreed to a point but Cano was a much better fielder than Pedroia last year and it wasn't close.....perception won it then....this year he is still better but still too nonchalant and I agree on that!

Yesterday he needed to save that run and I know Petey would have.....it was an easy dive, not even just a smother instead he elected to try to make the great play. Bad move and cost the team in that inning on the top and the bottom of it!!
For Pete's sake, Yanks are mirroring the Sox 2011 implosion and all of us are quibbling about which 2nd basemen is better, to what degree Bobby V is offensive/terrible/farbeyondhisexpirationdate and other minutiae?

If this keeps up I resolve we make a collective pact that in 2013 Sox, Yanks and Mets fans must bond together, unite and end the schadenfraude. Its gotta be contributing to this unilateral suckitude. For novelties sake the Orioles can play the Expos (err Nationals!) in this year's World Series but after that let's restore order to the universe and have some meaningful 2013 October all-nighters about baseball between the Sox and the Yanks battling to meet the Mets in the WS!

Reaction Score
This is hardly painful for me because I thought they sucked even when healthy....curious how they won hitting .210 with RISP and now it's really haunting them......I do believe they will not be in the playoffs and do not deserve to be at this point......ugly across the board .......we should shut down the baseball board and all get ready for football season but even better Husky hoops!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Was at the Stadium on Sunday. It was dreadful to watch.

Reaction Score
I don't watch too many Yankee games but the Sox are rarely on TV now because no one is interested so I tuned to the Yankee game on Wednesday. I think it was tied and Granderson hit a fly ball down the right field line. It looked like it might go foul but Granderson just watched it. The wind blew it fair and it was caught. Shame on Curtis for watching it. Was this an isolated incident or does he play the game that way? I hope Joe got on him.

I also looked at their hitting stats and except for Jeter and Cano, everyone seems to be having a sub-par year. Are they just getting old?

Reaction Score
0% of talent evaulators think Pedroia is a better fielder. Get out of here with that crap.

You know why he doesn't dive? Because he almost never has to. That was a ball that no other second baseman in baseball, ESPECIALLY not Pedroia, even comes close to. Yeah, he should have dove for it. But the reason he didn't is completely understandable.

I actually think you have it completely opposite regarding talent evaluators, but I should apologize first because Cano did win one Gold Glove. Of course Pedroia has won two and may have a third after this year. But then you think of the fact that Derek Jeter keeps winning GG's so what the hell does that mean I guess.

But looking at some career fielding stats these are the three of the most respected defensive stats out there:

UZR/150 - Pedroia 9.7; Cano -4.2 (that's negative 4.2)
Total Zone (runs above average over 1200 innings) - Pedroia 10/yr; Cano 4/yr
Def Runs Saved/1200 innings - Pedroia 10/yr; Cano 1/yr

Pedroia was also voted top defensive 2B in the game last year by the Fielding Bible for what it's worth.

Reaction Score

See my post above. Cano was not a much better fielder last year. It was actually quite opposite. Pedroia kicked his

UZR/150 - Pedroia 19.4; Cano -2.9 (that's negative)
Total Zone/1200 innings - Pedroia 9; Cano -1 (that's negative)
Def Run Saved/1200 innings - Pedroia 16; Cano 1

Where does this come from, just hating on Pedroia? Why do NY fans think he's not in Cano's league? I mean virtually every NY fan thinks that and I find it comical. Cano makes a lot of nice smooth plays and has a very good arm but he doesn't always play all out defensively and I'm assuming the fact that there's such a wide gap in these stats must show that he just gets bad jumps on balls but because of his athleticism he makes a lot of plays look better than maybe they need to be.

To be fair to Cano his numbers in 2012 show that he's shown a big improvement
UZR/150 - Pedroia 9.8; Cano 8.6
Total Zone/1200 - Pedroia 13; Cano 3
Def Run Saved/1200 - Pedroia 12; Cano 15

Reaction Score
See my post above. Cano was not a much better fielder last year. It was actually quite opposite. Pedroia kicked his

UZR/150 - Pedroia 19.4; Cano -2.9 (that's negative)
Total Zone/1200 innings - Pedroia 9; Cano -1 (that's negative)
Def Run Saved/1200 innings - Pedroia 16; Cano 1

Where does this come from, just hating on Pedroia? Why do NY fans think he's not in Cano's league? I mean virtually every NY fan thinks that and I find it comical. Cano makes a lot of nice smooth plays and has a very good arm but he doesn't always play all out defensively and I'm assuming the fact that there's such a wide gap in these stats must show that he just gets bad jumps on balls but because of his athleticism he makes a lot of plays look better than maybe they need to be.

To be fair to Cano his numbers in 2012 show that he's shown a big improvement
UZR/150 - Pedroia 9.8; Cano 8.6
Total Zone/1200 - Pedroia 13; Cano 3
Def Run Saved/1200 - Pedroia 12; Cano 15

You are actually as much of a dope as I thought. Pedroia kicked his ass? You watch baseball, ever play (doubt it), know anything? Pedroia is an excellent 2nd baseman and was good again last year. these 2 have been very close for the last 3 years but last year Cano was better and failry easy. He made so many plays which the midget couldn't get to it was incredible. This year he has made many up the middle but Pedroia has seemingly made a lot more than he going to the 1st base hole, which he is better. Range is an issue with Cano's length better and his arm better up the middle. But this is so close year in year out it's not funny. But to you, a dopey Sawks fan, it's not??? Hmmmmmmm......

And as far as Jeter, some of them are certainly questionable at best but then again Ellsbury won last year didn't he? So what sense does anything make.......I mean you do need to reach the dirt when you throw to be a GGer don't you? he can't, not even from short CF!!! Never know do we Viking dude?

Reaction Score

There is no doubt that Cano is the more talented player and it isn't close. In fact, Cano is the most talented 2B in baseball today and you could make an argument that he is the most talented all around 2B of all time (although Carew played a lot of 2B).
Still, I'd take Pedroia in a heartbeat. He is the first player to the ballpark everyday, mentors young players and will try to run through a brick wall to win. He is also very talented and is a bright light on a team with more than its share problem players. Billy Martin would have loved him.

Reaction Score
You guys are drifting off on this meaningless tangency island yet again.

I believe this Yankplosion was manufactured just so the Yanks & their fans can punctuate the Sox miserable season by catapulting back into uncontested first place with September romps over the Sox. Boston fans need to focus on football to avoid inevitable further embarassment as the baseball team tries to save face but more likely continues its everything turns to $hitshow.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Cano is the more talented player and it isn't close. In fact, Cano is the most talented 2B in baseball today and you could make an argument that he is the most talented all around 2B of all time (although Carew played a lot of 2B).
Still, I'd take Pedroia in a heartbeat. He is the first player to the ballpark everyday, mentors young players and will try to run through a brick wall to win. He is also very talented and is a bright light on a team with more than its share problem players. Billy Martin would have loved him.

I think you may be getting carried away here.

Reaction Score
You are actually as much of a dope as I thought. Pedroia kicked his ass? You watch baseball, ever play (doubt it), know anything? Pedroia is an excellent 2nd baseman and was good again last year. these 2 have been very close for the last 3 years but last year Cano was better and failry easy. He made so many plays which the midget couldn't get to it was incredible. This year he has made many up the middle but Pedroia has seemingly made a lot more than he going to the 1st base hole, which he is better. Range is an issue with Cano's length better and his arm better up the middle. But this is so close year in year out it's not funny. But to you, a dopey Sawks fan, it's not??? Hmmmmmmm......

And as far as Jeter, some of them are certainly questionable at best but then again Ellsbury won last year didn't he? So what sense does anything make.......I mean you do need to reach the dirt when you throw to be a GGer don't you? he can't, not even from short CF!!! Never know do we Viking dude?
Where to start.
Last year according to you, Cano was better and fairly easily? What the hell are you basing that on, you sitting on your couch?
The fielding numbers I gave you showed that Pedroia did in fact "kick his ass".
But fine, you don't want to believe in those numbers. OK. So lets go based on opinion.
The respected "Fielding Bible" voted Pedroia as the best defensive second baseman in the majors last year. And the Gold glove - voted on by managers and coaches - was given to Pedroia last year.
So if you are right that Cano was the better fielder last year - and easily - that means that
a) the fielding sabermetric numbers are wrong
b) The Fielding Bible is wrong
c) The AL managers and coaches are wrong.
But you are right?
BAHWHHWAHAHAAAAA

Oh, and just an FYI, they don't give CF's gold gloves based on their arms. It's the range that matters in CF. You have a great gun they probably put you in RF to control the first-to-third running game.
Ellsbury's arm is nothing to write home about at all, but his range was terrific last year and in the limited games hes played in this year it's been very good as well.

Reaction Score
I think you may be getting carried away here.
Can't think of any 2B with Cano's combination of power and range and I'm an old fart who goes back to Nellie Fox. I'm a Sox fan to boot who would still rather have Pedroia but it is hard to deny Cano's talent. I'd take Carew over either of them but Rod Carew was a average defender at best. Alomar and Morgan were also outstanding and I'd also take them over Cano even though neither had Cano's power. I was talking about all around talent and not necessarily who I would want playing 2B for me.

Reaction Score
Can't think of any 2B with Cano's combination of power and range and I'm an old fart who goes back to Nellie Fox. I'm a Sox fan to boot who would still rather have Pedroia but it is hard to deny Cano's talent. I'd take Carew over either of them but Rod Carew was a average defender at best. Alomar and Morgan were also outstanding and I'd also take them over Cano even though neither had Cano's power. I was talking about all around talent and not necessarily who I would want playing 2B for me.

Cano is a poor-average runner who dosen't draw walks or steal bases. The guy is a great hitter but I prefer more complete types like Sandburg, Alomar, Biggio and Morgan.

Reaction Score
Cano is a poor-average runner who dosen't draw walks or steal bases. The guy is a great hitter but I prefer more complete types like Sandburg, Alomar, Biggio and Morgan.
Cano is talented but his baseball instincts are crap ala Bernie Williams.

Reaction Score

I know he isn't Ben Zobrist, but he doesn't strike out much either.

He is 11th in the AL in OBP and number 2 in WAR.

Reaction Score
Cano is talented but his baseball instincts are crap ala Bernie Williams.

No, no, no. Cano is not a great base runner. Everything else he does his baseball instincts are at the top in baseball. If you don't get this you don't know what you are watching.

Reaction Score
No, no, no. Cano is not a great base runner. Everything else he does his baseball instincts are at the top in baseball. If you don't get this you don't know what you are watching.
IMO Cano is the more talented player in comparison with Pedroia. He is faster, he has better size and as a result more power. Pedroia has a better strike out to walk ratio and a better OBP while Cano has a higher OPS. Despite being the slower of the two, Pedroia steals a lot more bases. Neither has been spectacular in the post-season. But I agree with Danzz, if I had to choose, I would opt for Pedroia. Pedroia gives you every thing he has while Cano, if he gave you everything he had, would be a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame. I think Pedroia motivates his teammates. Cano can frustrate his.

Reaction Score
I know he isn't Ben Zobrist, but he doesn't strike out much either.

He is 11th in the AL in OBP and number 2 in WAR.

Zobrist is 5th in the AL in WAR and has the same .370 obp as Cano despite hitting 40 points less. The value of Zobrist, who is now playing short continues to be underestimated by the average fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom