OT: - Yankees land Stanton! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Yankees land Stanton!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As a NY Yankee fan since 1958 when the Dodgers left Brooklyn for LA, the best part of the deal is the Yankees gave up Starlin Castro the 2B man and 2 minor young players that are replaceable for Stanton! There are at least 2 youngsters down on the farms that are ready to replace Castro at 2B and also take over at 3B. And they can also turn to super-sub Ronald Torreyes if necessary!
I started last season rooting for the Cubs because I couldn't stand to watch the NYY under Joe Giardi! The do nothing manager who would do nothing but wait for a 3 run HR! No bunting, stealing, hitting to the opposite field, hit & run, run & hit,
Hopefully Aaron Boone will get his team ready to play BASEBALL! Do anything that will get them a W!
Just because it's an American League club doesn't mean they have to play wait for the HR type of game!
Hard to steal when few of your players have base stealing ability. Hard to play hit and run and run and hit when your players strikeout so much. Hard to hit to the opposite field when so many of your players are mostly pull hitters and again, strikeout so much. A manager's style is limited by his teams shortcomings.

Reaction Score
I started last season rooting for the Cubs because I couldn't stand to watch the NYY under Joe Giardi! The do nothing manager who would do nothing but wait for a 3 run HR! No bunting, stealing, hitting to the opposite field, hit & run, run & hit,
Hopefully Aaron Boone will get his team ready to play BASEBALL! Do anything that will get them a W!
Just because it's an American League club doesn't mean they have to play wait for the HR type of game!
Well now Boone won't have to wait as long :cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hard to steal when few of your players have base stealing ability. Hard to play hit and run and run and hit when your players strikeout so much. Hard to hit to the opposite field when so many of your players are mostly pull hitters and again, strikeout so much. A manager's style is limited by his teams shortcomings.
Nobody is fielding a team full of punch & Judy hitters. Everyone is swinging for the fences nowadays, and if there is one absolute concept that emerged from the movie, Moneyball, it’s that a sacrifice bunt is essentially throwing away an at bat.

Years ago, a pitcher who threw a 92 mph fastball, was fast. Nowadays, a 92 mph fastball is below average. The game of baseball has clearly changed to value power hitting & power pitchers.

Reaction Score
Let's see...Jeter is part of the Marlins ownership and they need to lower operating costs and unload a higher paid player. So, who do they unload him to, well, geesh, Jeter's real team. Nothing weird seems to be going on here. Oh, and yesterday the (fake?) sporting news outlets were reporting that Stanton had vetoed the Evil Empire as a destination. Hmm.
Wow, he eliminated the Red Sox?

Reaction Score
A1D83AF8-9D66-41FF-B725-940D27CC12EA.jpeg
Looks like this trade caused the Red Sox to make some renovations

Reaction Score
The Yankees have a new "Murderer's Row" - Judge, Stanton, Sanchez and Bird. That is a very scary middle of the lineup.
Next year Yankee Fan Bryce Harper!

Reaction Score
Do u remember babe Ruth?

Listen the game is about power now both arms and bats. I don't love the current game, I do love a balanced line up, with what I call rally boys( contact hitter, speed, plate discipline etc). I hate that waiting for a three run homer come post season although it makes for a fun regular season. Let's hope we can shore up the rotation with a few starters that can be trusted come post season.
Babe Ruth hit the first Home Run at Muzzy Field in Bristol Conn. history!

Reaction Score
I'm assuming Judge will bat before Stanton....Judge should get his contact rate up a bit and that will help his already gaudy numbers..... lot to be worried about as a sox fan

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm assuming Judge will bat before Stanton....Judge should get his contact rate up a bit and that will help his already gaudy numbers..... lot to be worried about as a sox fan
Loved the humorous tweet from Didi Gregorious to new manager Aaron Boone after the announcement of the Stanton trade: “Am I still batting cleanup Skip?”

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nobody is fielding a team full of punch & Judy hitters. Everyone is swinging for the fences nowadays, and if there is one absolute concept that emerged from the movie, Moneyball, it’s that a sacrifice bunt is essentially throwing away an at bat.

Years ago, a pitcher who threw a 92 mph fastball, was fast. Nowadays, a 92 mph fastball is below average. The game of baseball has clearly changed to value power hitting & power pitchers.
As is my point. Girardi's coaching style is predicated by the team on the field. The game you want him to play is not the game his players can play.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Stanton had all the leverage so he chose potential championship teams in the biggest media markets: NY & LA.
I understand. One thing that I was trying to point out was the fact that the news stories that were published the day before the trade was that he had said that he would not void his no trade clause if he was traded to either the Red Sox or the Yankees. Just makes you wonder where these "reporters" get their information. And this isn't just about this story but news stories in general.

Reaction Score
Yankees should have fired Girardi last season and hired Don Mattingly!

Donny is a solid baseball mind. I think they don't want to hire them cause they don't want to fire him. Ya know?

Reaction Score

The Yankees had a team loaded with speed last season. Even Sanchez could steal a base. And while Judge struck out a lot he also led the league in walks and despite hitting 60 pts below MVP Altuve he had a higher on-base average.

I agree that modern stats show that home runs win games but when it comes to beating the best pitchers, which are usually who you face in October, a team needs to manufacture runs some other way because ace pitchers just don't give up many hits, never mind homers.

Reaction Score
The Yankees had a team loaded with speed last season. Even Sanchez could steal a base. And while Judge struck out a lot he also led the league in walks and despite hitting 60 pts below MVP Altuve he had a higher on-base average.

I agree that modern stats show that home runs win games but when it comes to beating the best pitchers, which are usually who you face in October, a team needs to manufacture runs some other way because ace pitchers just don't give up many hits, never mind homers.

Exactly. How important was Justin Verlander. Wish he was a Yankee

Reaction Score

Alydar- - -Yes!!!!! That is my whole point vs Joe Girardi as Manager, when you face the best pitchers in the playoffs a team needs a complete game to have a chance to pull a victory! The NYY had Gardner, Hicks, Ellsbury, Judge, Gregorious, Sanchez, + some of the young kids they brought up that could ignite a rally with the little ball!
You're not going to defeat the Astros, Indians, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. waiting for that 3 run HR! You'll need to manufacture runs on small ball and win a 1-0, 2-1, type of game!
Just because the Yankees are in the AL doesn't mean they can't play NL style baseball!

Reaction Score

JordyG- - - that's what what spring training and pre game batting practice is for! If they practice them they'll be better at them in game situations! Geno style coaching!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom