OT: - Yankees land Stanton! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Yankees land Stanton!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
He's in his prime right now, so they will likely get at least 4 or 5 really good years out of him if he can stay on the field. Most of his career though he's played <120 games a year. I just don't think he's worth 10 years $295 million. That's just a crazy amount of money. He's a career sub-.270 hitter, strikes out a ton, has only had one season of 40+ HRs, and 2 of 100+ RBI. Maybe last year was a sign of things to come and with the rest of the Yankees line up good luck to opposing pitchers trying to get through it. We'll see in a couple of months when spring training camp opens.
I believe that he has an opt out clause after the '20 season. I don't think that the club also has a similar clause. So it appears that he is guaranteed to be in the Bronx for the next 3 seasons, minimum.

Reaction Score
Can't you hear the voices in the distance... "Yankees always get the best players!!"

Sound familiar??
...as they should. :cool:

MLB has very little in place to encourage parity, unlike the NFL and NBA. Winning in baseball takes ingenuity, creativity, and MONEY$$$$$$$. (The ingenuity and creativity are still be required - it has been demonstrated that you can outspend everyone and still screw it up.)

Even further to this extreme, college sports have NOTHING in place to encourage parity. The rich get richer, and there aren't even any speed bumps. Nick Saban said [sic], "In the NFL the worst team gets the top draft pick. In college the best team gets the top 10 draft picks.,"

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nolan Ryan

Ding ding ding ding - You are correct sir. :)

In 1980 Nolan Ryan (The Express) became the first million dollar player when he signed a four-year free agent contract with the Houston Astros for one million dollars per season. The salary quadrupled what he had been making with the Angels. Ryan is the only pitcher on the milestone list. Look how far they've come in 37 years. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Brilliant move by cash. The marlins were in a tough spot. They were definitely going to trade him and he had a pretty solid no trade clause, and only wanted to go to yanks or dodgers. Thus yanks really stole him!! What a lineup. Power pen and power bats are a great start. We have so much young talent coming up thru AAA next two years. I can manage this team:).

Should be a fun decade!!

Reaction Score
...as they should. :cool:

MLB has very little in place to encourage parity, unlike the NFL and NBA. Winning in baseball takes ingenuity, creativity, and MONEY$$$$$$$. (The ingenuity and creativity are still be required - it has been demonstrated that you can outspend everyone and still screw it up.)

Even further to this extreme, college sports have NOTHING in place to encourage parity. The rich get richer, and there aren't even any speed bumps. Nick Saban said [sic], "In the NFL the worst team gets the top draft pick. In college the best team gets the top 10 draft picks.,"

Yankees don't even have highest payroll. They have kick started this run on smart trades thus stocking there system in power arms and power bats. Now yes they have the means to pay these guys when time comes. No doubt. It's not about wildly spending money. Build a core from within then strategically add winning pieces too it.

Reaction Score
Brilliant move by cash. The marlins were in a tough spot. They were definitely going to trade him and he had a pretty solid no trade clause, and only wanted to go to yanks or dodgers. Thus yanks really stole him!! What a lineup. Power pen and power bats are a great start. We have so much young talent coming up thru AAA next two years. I can manage this team:).

Should be a fun decade!!
The radio jocks are saying Jeter will get a gift basket with a World Series ring if the Yanks win it next year.

(Derek was known for gift baskets in his single days :cool:).

Reaction Score
Yankees don't even have highest payroll. They have kick started this run on smart trades thus stocking there system in power arms and power bats. Now yes they have the means to pay these guys when time comes. No doubt. It's not about wildly spending money. Build a core from within then strategically add winning pieces too it.
Not only do they not have the highest payroll, they still have the cap room left to sign a big-time pitcher, and the prospects to trade for one if that's what's needed at the All Star break.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As a Marlin fan Im disappointed. Good luck to the former Grasshopper Stanton.... but not to the Yankees

Reaction Score
The radio jocks are saying Jeter will get a gift basket with a World Series ring if the Yanks win it next year.

Yes! He even validated parking :)

Reaction Score
Not only do they not have the highest payroll, they still have the cap room left to sign a big-time pitcher, and the prospects to trade for one if that's what's needed at the All Star break.

Bingo

Reaction Score
As a Marlin fan Im disappointed. Good luck to the former Grasshopper Stanton.... but not to the Yankees

Are we going to like him? Is he a good club house guy? Likable? Give me some insight

Reaction Score

Verlander has the real prize.

Reaction Score
Verlander has the real prize.
Imma tell Justine you said that...

upload_2017-12-9_18-27-2.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a life long Yankee fan I have mixed emotions about this signing, just as I have mixed emotions about the Yankees parting ways with the steady leadership of Joe Girardi in favor of Aaron Boone.

The more recent Yankee Championships were built on home grown talent: Jeter, Posada, Rivera & Petit. I was ecstatic when A-Rod was shoved out the door and Texiera finally retired.

I loved this young group of Bronx Bombers that fell one game short of the World Series. They’ve now added an expensive 10 year contract with a no trade clause. Another overpriced free agent that may or may not pan out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Are we going to like him? Is he a good club house guy? Likable? Give me some insight

Never heard or read anything bad/negative about him. Im sure the Yankee fans will love him. He's a professional..... seems to be all-business.... and just wants to win. Marlins never had a winning record since he arrived there. Only drawback is he does seem to get hurt every season.

Reaction Score
Never heard or read anything bad/negative about him. Im sure the Yankee fans will love him. He's a professional..... seems to be all-business.... and just wants to win. Marlins never had a winning record since he arrived there. Only drawback is he does seem to get hurt every season.
Warning sign for a juicer. I don't know anything, haven't heard anything, but always suspicious.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Warning sign for a juicer. I don't know anything, haven't heard anything, but always suspicious.

Well one of his injuries was due to get getting hit in the face with a fastball a few years ago.... thats why he wears that special helmet. I dunno about steroids... . dude was a football player in high school... and had offers to play Major College Football as well. He was 18 when he played here.. and was 6'6 240lbs or so back then. Guys like him, Frank Thomas... guys who were TE's in high school..... and a few others I dont question.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well one of his injuries was due to get getting hit in the face with a fastball a few years ago.... thats why he wears that special helmet. I dunno about steroids... . dude was a football player in high school... and had offers to play Major College Football as well. He was 18 when he played here.. and was 6'6 240lbs or so back then. Guys like him, Frank Thomas... guys who were TE's in high school..... and a few others I dont question.
I made the same point about his new teammate, Aaron Judge, a few months back. He’s been lifting weights since he was 12, and was a 3-sport HS star.

Reaction Score
As a NY Yankee fan since 1958 when the Dodgers left Brooklyn for LA, the best part of the deal is the Yankees gave up Starlin Castro the 2B man and 2 minor young players that are replaceable for Stanton! There are at least 2 youngsters down on the farms that are ready to replace Castro at 2B and also take over at 3B. And they can also turn to super-sub Ronald Torreyes if necessary!
I started last season rooting for the Cubs because I couldn't stand to watch the NYY under Joe Giardi! The do nothing manager who would do nothing but wait for a 3 run HR! No bunting, stealing, hitting to the opposite field, hit & run, run & hit,
Hopefully Aaron Boone will get his team ready to play BASEBALL! Do anything that will get them a W!
Just because it's an American League club doesn't mean they have to play wait for the HR type of game!

Reaction Score
As a NY Yankee fan since 1958 when the Dodgers left Brooklyn for LA, the best part of the deal is the Yankees gave up Starlin Castro the 2B man and 2 minor young players that are replaceable for Stanton! There are at least 2 youngsters down on the farms that are ready to replace Castro at 2B and also take over at 3B. And they can also turn to super-sub Ronald Torreyes if necessary!
I started last season rooting for the Cubs because I couldn't stand to watch the NYY under Joe Giardi! The do nothing manager who would do nothing but wait for a 3 run HR! No bunting, stealing, hitting to the opposite field, hit & run, run & hit,
Hopefully Aaron Boone will get his team ready to play BASEBALL! Do anything that will get them a W!
Just because it's an American League club doesn't mean they have to play wait for the HR type of game!

Do u remember babe Ruth?

Listen the game is about power now both arms and bats. I don't love the current game, I do love a balanced line up, with what I call rally boys( contact hitter, speed, plate discipline etc). I hate that waiting for a three run homer come post season although it makes for a fun regular season. Let's hope we can shore up the rotation with a few starters that can be trusted come post season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Do u remember babe Ruth?

Listen the game is about power now both arms and bats. I don't love the current game, I do love a balanced line up, with what I call rally boys( contact hitter, speed, plate discipline etc). I hate that waiting for a three run homer come post season although it makes for a fun regular season. Let's hope we can shore up the rotation with a few starters that can be trusted come post season.
Excellent point. The game I grew up with included bunting, hit & run, stolen bases and good pitchers pitching to contact. Now it’s all about walks, strike outs and HR’s. Not as entertaining, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Excellent point. The game I grew up with included bunting, hit & run, stolen bases and good pitchers pitching to contact. Now it’s all about walks, strike outs and HR’s. Not as entertaining, but it is what it is.

I liked joe girardi I was sad to see him go. What gets me is they had no replacement. They interview all C level or first time managers. Why not interview me? That was so disappointing. All Joe did was win, when he had the talent we won a World Series. Last year the team over achieved and were poised for a big run. Aaron Boone certainly looks the part, former solid player before injury, is in good shape, has a photographic memory, etc. We will see...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I liked joe girardi I was sad to see him go. What gets me is they had no replacement. They interview all C level or first time managers. Why not interview me? That was so disappointing. All Joe did was win, when he had the talent we won a World Series. Last year the team over achieved and were poised for a big run. Aaron Boone certainly looks the part, former solid player before injury, is in good shape, has a photographic memory, etc. We will see...
JG, if Boone doesn’t work out, you have my support to be the next Yankee Skipper....;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom