OT: - Yankees land Stanton! | The Boneyard

OT: Yankees land Stanton!

Reaction Score
Not surprised. There are only so many teams willing to take on a 10-year $295 million contract.

Reaction Score
Anyone know who the Yanks gave up to get him? Not seeing that reported anywhere. Not sure if Stanton is worth it. They already have some good power in their lineup (unlike the Red Sox), and Stanton seems like he always has some injury, plus these huge contracts don't age well (see Pujols, A-Rod).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Anyone know who the Yanks gave up to get him? Not seeing that reported anywhere. Not sure if Stanton is worth it. They already have some good power in their lineup (unlike the Red Sox), and Stanton seems like he always has some injury, plus these huge contracts don't age well (see Pujols, A-Rod).

Some say one of the players going to Miami is Castro. Gardner and Headly have also been rumored to be in the trade.

Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan I look forward to seeing the Yankee's lineup hit next year while sharing the concern some have posted about the history of taking on big contracts. The Yankees have had a long list of high-priced talent that was past it's prime and never panned out.

But I wonder how the Bosox fans would be reacting if they had acquired Stanton? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Groan...last time I felt this badly for my Red Sox was when the Yanks signed Jacoby Ellsbury. Oh wait! How'd that work out for the Yanks?? :)
Bags....the positive spin is that beating the yankees this year will feel so much better!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Let's see...Jeter is part of the Marlins ownership and they need to lower operating costs and unload a higher paid player. So, who do they unload him to, well, geesh, Jeter's real team. Nothing weird seems to be going on here. Oh, and yesterday the (fake?) sporting news outlets were reporting that Stanton had vetoed the Evil Empire as a destination. Hmm.

Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan I look forward to seeing the Yankee's lineup hit next year while sharing the concern some have posted about the history of taking on big contracts. The Yankees have had a long list of high-priced talent that was past it's prime and never panned out.

But I wonder how the Bosox fans would be reacting if they had acquired Stanton? :rolleyes:
Do you also wonder how South Carolina fans would have reacted if they landed Christyn Williams?

Reaction Score
Some say one of the players going to Miami is Castro. Gardner and Headly have also been rumored to be in the trade.
Castro is the name I heard, along with some lower level talent. Remember one of Jeter's first hires for the Marlins was Gary Denbo, from the Yankees, who is VERY familiar with the Yankees minor league system.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let's see...Jeter is part of the Marlins ownership and they need to lower operating costs and unload a higher paid player. So, who do they unload him to, well, geesh, Jeter's real team. Nothing weird seems to be going on here. Oh, and yesterday the (fake?) sporting news outlets were reporting that Stanton had vetoed the Evil Empire as a destination. Hmm.
Aw.

Reaction Score
This is a great day to be a Yankee fan! I saw where Didi Gregorious is already asking Aaron Boone if he'll still be batting cleanup. Riiiiighttttt...
upload_2017-12-9_12-11-16.png

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I guess he acquiesced after they told him if he didn't waive the no-trade clause, they were going to surround him with a bunch of minor leaguers and unattractive free agents. :eek:

I know it's a H-U-G-E contract to assume, but............if he is a good clubhouse guy, has a history of staying healthy, and opposing pitchers can't keep the ball in the park when facing him, I say do the deal. If they had not done it, another team would have. I credit the Yankees for having the stones to pull the trigger on that deal. If you really want to win pennants and championships, you've got to be willing to spend some $$$. Lip service don't get it done dude!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

LOL I also heard they bought Stanton's mother a luxury house in a gated community. :rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Trust me, I am NO Yankee fan. Nevertheless, Florida teams have a history of off loading expensive talent, and the Yankee's are one of the few teams that could afford a contract of that size.

Reaction Score
I guess he acquiesced after they told him if he didn't waive the no-trade clause, they were going to surround him with a bunch of minor leaguers and unattractive free agents. :eek:

I know it's a H-U-G-E contract to assume, but..if he is a good clubhouse guy, has a history of staying healthy, and opposing pitchers can't keep the ball in the park when facing him, I say do the deal. If they had not done it, another team would have. I credit the Yankees for having the stones to pull the trigger on that deal. If you really want to win pennants and championships, you've got to be willing to spend some $$$. Lip service don't get it done dude!!! :cool:
He's in his prime right now, so they will likely get at least 4 or 5 really good years out of him if he can stay on the field. Most of his career though he's played <120 games a year. I just don't think he's worth 10 years $295 million. That's just a crazy amount of money. He's a career sub-.270 hitter, strikes out a ton, has only had one season of 40+ HRs, and 2 of 100+ RBI. Maybe last year was a sign of things to come and with the rest of the Yankees line up good luck to opposing pitchers trying to get through it. We'll see in a couple of months when spring training camp opens.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
He's in his prime right now, so they will likely get at least 4 or 5 really good years out of him if he can stay on the field. Most of his career though he's played <120 games a year. I just don't think he's worth 10 years $295 million. That's just a crazy amount of money. He's a career sub-.270 hitter, strikes out a ton, has only had one season of 40+ HRs, and 2 of 100+ RBI. Maybe last year was a sign of things to come and with the rest of the Yankees line up good luck to opposing pitchers trying to get through it. We'll see in a couple of months when spring training camp opens.

If he's not, they just picked up another A-Rod. No doubt the Yankees front office suits thought and discussed this deal long and hard, and decided to roll the dice. I can remember who the first player in MLB was to sign for a million dollars a year, do you? ( without looking it up) :eek:

Reaction Score
If he's not, they just picked up another A-Rod. No doubt the Yankees front office suits thought and discussed this deal long and hard, and decided to roll the dice. I can remember who the first player in MLB was to sign for a million dollars a year, do you? ( without looking it up) :eek:

Nolan Ryan

Reaction Score
Can't you hear the voices in the distance... "Yankees always get the best players!!"

Sound familiar??

Reaction Score
LOL I also heard they bought Stanton's mother a luxury house in a gated community. :rolleyes:

And they will probably still be under the salary cap. That will reduce their luxury tax rate from 50% to 20% next year, when they'll really spend some money.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's bad for Major League Baseball!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member