Yakwe Commits | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Yakwe Commits

pj

Reaction Score
I think that's realistic. I would expect Jalen to be much, much better if he didn't have to do literally everything by himself for 40 minutes a game. That is the single biggest thing the Gilbert we thought we were signing originally would bring.

And we have Sid Wilson, and the frontcourt is a year older and has Yakwe rather than Onuorah. If Gilbert is healthy I expect us to make the tourney.

Reaction Score
Slow down.

This is still a team with a well-below average front court and no true outside threat.

If Jalen goes nuts, we might have a fringe bubble team.

I think people are greatly underestimating the guys we have on the roster. They've been playing under a coaching staff that can't develop players and didn't have them prepared to play. This year will be much different. If Hurley can get these guys to play to their potential, this is easily a tournament team.

Reaction Score
So our goal now is to have players just good enough to be on the floor?
He’s never even been average offensively, so I don’t think him being a star in his senior year is all that likely. If he’s just an average offensive player, he’d be a good asset considering his defense. Realistically that’s what they’re hoping for.

Reaction Score
No, it’s not. As I’ve hashed out with you multiple times, folks like you and Paesano come at this topic from a place of emotion and irrationality.
Yes, it is. It is you, auggie and mau that are emotional and irrational. The personal attacks prove it. Mau loses his mind whenever one of us "Ollie haters" posts anything about him. He is LOLing like a crazy man.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Joober, welcome back!

I think it will be a good year if we win 17-18 games. As someone said earlier, we have a frontcourt that is lacking and we no really good outside shooters. That same frontcourt issue exists that has been a problem since 2012.
I welcome Yakwe. For all we know he could turn out to be one of our better defensive bigs and hold his own offensively.

Mostly I am happy to see a well planned strategy being well executed. From our AD getting DH. DH putting a strong staff together to DH handling a difficult recruiting situation, basically, in a weekend.

That is all I need to see and it is more telling than the number of wins next year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And we have Sid Wilson, and the frontcourt is a year older and has Yakwe rather than Onuorah. If Gilbert is healthy I expect us to make the tourney.

Wilson can't shoot like Terry from the outside. He's better at going to the rim, but that replicates what we already have. Given how much we need outside shooters, this is a loss in that department. He might be able to make up for it with midrange game idk.

On the other hand, Wilson will probably be a better defender/rebounder even as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is. It is you, auggie and mau that are emotional and irrational. The personal attacks prove it. Mau loses his mind whenever one of us "Ollie haters" posts anything about him. He is LOLing like a crazy man.

No I don’t I do not defend the man for anything other than his 1st 2 years and I do that against posters who are clueless and irrational about those years like you. People who refuse to credit him for the 2 years he seemed to be capable of doing his job yet they feel the need to say “with JCs kids”, like you.

It’s the Hurley era now I’m good with that. For those who feel the need to beat people down I may react, I may not. Most of the jabs are fine he’s earned some but not all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wilson can't shoot like Terry from the outside. He's better at going to the rim, but that replicates what we already have. Given how much we need outside shooters, this is a loss in that department. He might be able to make up for it with midrange game idk.

On the other hand, Wilson will probably be a better defender/rebounder even as a freshman.

I know Terry could make shots and no one else could it seemed so often but if Sid can defend pretty well, rebound a little, block a couple shots while scoring a little I think we improve. TL really was that bad on the defensive end it hurt.

Reaction Score
I know Terry could make shots and no one else could it seemed so often but if Sid can defend pretty well, rebound a little, block a couple shots while scoring a little I think we improve. TL really was that bad on the defensive end it hurt.
We have points to make up with Larrier moving on. Everybody needs to get a little bit better.

Reaction Score
Do anyone any of these kids have traditionl names anymore?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Do anyone any of these kids have traditionl names anymore?
Which traditional - American traditional or Mali traditional?

pj

Reaction Score

Agreed, but I think overall Wilson may be as good as TL in a team setting. Defense is more important than offense, you need 5 defenders but only 1 scorer on any given possession. Wilson was an effective scorer at Brewster and it seems he's scored well in UConn practices. I think Hurley has enough tools to make an effective offense, at least one better than what we had last year, and can significantly improve defense. Yakwe and Wilson are a huge defensive improvement over Onuorah and Larrier, and the defensive philosophy and coaching will be better too.

Last year we were #171 on offense and #178 on defense by Kenpom. If we can be top 100 on offense and top 40 on defense, that gets us in the vicinity of teams like Providence (100/36), Boise St (82/42), Alabama (106/20), Nebraska (75/44), Miss St (76/40), i.e. on the tourney bubble. I think that's eminently achievable. Rhode Island was 69/46 without appreciably better talent.

Reaction Score
At the Pearly Gates, I am going to have to answer for this message board and it’s not going to go well for me.
Are you sure you will even make it as far as the gates?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom