XL Center- Plan C, D or ??? | The Boneyard

XL Center- Plan C, D or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hartford Courant- New renderings give glimpse into bunker suites, concourse improvements planned for $100M XL Center arena renovation

“This will allow us to size the building to what is our sweet spot, which is that 11,000-, 12,000-seat size. We’re not going to build for 4,000 seats that we rarely use.”...." The upper half of the arena will remain much as it is with traditional general admission seating. But for the majority of events it would be closed off, a retractable wall replacing existing curtains. The wall, where advertisements and sponsorships could be projected, could be removed if larger events.....

The project is set to get underway in 2021, and a virtual public hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 5.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hartford Courant- New renderings give glimpse into bunker suites, concourse improvements planned for $100M XL Center arena renovation

“This will allow us to size the building to what is our sweet spot, which is that 11,000-, 12,000-seat size. We’re not going to build for 4,000 seats that we rarely use.”...." The upper half of the arena will remain much as it is with traditional general admission seating. But for the majority of events it would be closed off, a retractable wall replacing existing curtains. The wall, where advertisements and sponsorships could be projected, could be removed if larger events.....

The project is set to get underway in 2021, and a virtual public hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 5.

Immediate impression?

Kudos to the graphics artists for the amount of time they spent getting the T&A right on the two female animations.

1607963559175.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's all about priorities

Well, considering the food server on the bottom right looks like a cutout from a 1850's saloon who is pouring Frank's Hot Sauce on a pizza, they obviously spent more time on some areas than others.

And can you believe the UConn home jersey they chose to show on the TV all the way in the background? Don't get me started on that one. Too much red trim.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As far as the actual project plan.

Like most of the ideas for lower bowl and understand there is a reason to focus on revenue generated in that area. Much like airlines with first class, business class and enhanced economy sections.

I am a bit confused with the upper bowl, "Let them eat cake" mentality. Am I correctly reading they are saying the concessions and bathrooms will still be configured to support about 12k and the few events that get more than that will just be a clusterphuq? That seems counterintuitive. Seems like the biggest crowds would be for the biggest events and you'd like the fan experience to reflect the bigger status.

As for the atrium acquisition. Is this a crutch being used by CDRA? Is Northland just being a jerk and holding it over their head to get concessions on other holdings they own in the area? Is this just a legitimate negotiation going through kabuki theater until they come to a compromise?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, the one advantage that the XL has for UConn is added capacity. The plan: eliminate the added capacity.
[shrugs]

Some other highlights from the article:

Work can get started, but obstacles to the renovation remain. One major one is the acquisition of the adjoining atrium that is now owned by Northland Investment Corp., the developer and owner of the Hartford 21 complex that surrounds the arena.
Well I'm sure that won't be a problem...

“In the original plan, we were building it all out for 16,000,” says Michael W. Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, which oversees the arena. “So, now we won’t build restrooms for 16,000 because there will only be three or four events a year where we need that size.
Less restrooms, genius.

“What is going on is that people are entertaining, enjoying the inside, and they go out and watch the event, whatever,” Freimuth said.
Lol, whatever?

Seriously, though the 10-11K mark is the right size for this market and the renovation plans would update it. I'm just not sure if it is more of putting lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol, the one advantage that the XL has for UConn is added capacity. The plan: eliminate the added capacity.
[shrugs]

Some other highlights from the article:

Work can get started, but obstacles to the renovation remain. One major one is the acquisition of the adjoining atrium that is now owned by Northland Investment Corp., the developer and owner of the Hartford 21 complex that surrounds the arena.
Well I'm sure that won't be a problem...

“In the original plan, we were building it all out for 16,000,” says Michael W. Freimuth, executive director of the Capital Region Development Authority, which oversees the arena. “So, now we won’t build restrooms for 16,000 because there will only be three or four events a year where we need that size.
Less restrooms, genius.

“What is going on is that people are entertaining, enjoying the inside, and they go out and watch the event, whatever,” Freimuth said.
Lol, whatever?

Seriously, though the 10-11K mark is the right size for this market and the renovation plans would update it. I'm just not sure if it is more of putting lipstick on a pig.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but I don't think the capacity is shrinking, just the amenities to support the capacity i.e. concessions, bathroom.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but I don't think the capacity is shrinking, just the amenities to support the capacity i.e. concessions, bathroom.
“This will allow us to size the building to what is our sweet spot, which is that 11,000-, 12,000-seat size. We’re not going to build for 4,000 seats that we rarely use.”....

Sounds like they are reducing seats and replacing it with the club space.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While it’s not ideal, it is much better than leaving it as is- which is clearly not an option. So I’m excited that something is finally being done to renovate the building.

Reaction Score
“This will allow us to size the building to what is our sweet spot, which is that 11,000-, 12,000-seat size. We’re not going to build for 4,000 seats that we rarely use.”....

Sounds like they are reducing seats and replacing it with the club space.

Then it goes on to say the wall (I think up in the nosebleeds) can be removed for larger events.

If they are going to cap UConn games at 11-12k when demand for games in the Big East is going to exceed that, then UConn should just not play in Hartford anymore. It doesn't make sense to pay rent for games at similar capacity as Gampel, which you don't need to pay rent.

They drew 10k to crappy OOC games last season and the team is better and schedule is better.

I also read the build for 4k seats comment as referring to amenities since they aren't building seats which already exist and aren't renovating anything in the upper bowl.

Reaction Score
As far as the actual project plan.

Like most of the ideas for lower bowl and understand there is a reason to focus on revenue generated in that area. Much like airlines with first class, business class and enhanced economy sections.

I am a bit confused with the upper bowl, "Let them eat cake" mentality. Am I correctly reading they are saying the concessions and bathrooms will still be configured to support about 12k and the few events that get more than that will just be a clusterphuq? That seems counterintuitive. Seems like the biggest crowds would be for the biggest events and you'd like the fan experience to reflect the bigger status.

As for the atrium acquisition. Is this a crutch being used by CDRA? Is Northland just being a jerk and holding it over their head to get concessions on other holdings they own in the area? Is this just a legitimate negotiation going through kabuki theater until they come to a compromise?
Northland been terrible. They got property that is worthless and are trying to hold to government hostage. I know a lot of people will disagree, but that real estate deal is holding up progress.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Northland been terrible. They got property that is worthless and are trying to hold to government hostage. I know a lot of people will disagree, but that real estate deal is holding up progress.

Good enough. Then they should have stuck with the eminent domain in '18, taken the property and cut a check for the fair value. Backing off the eminent domain has me wondering if there are other negotiations (threats) going on between the parties unrelated to XL.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Which is, in my humble opinion ass-backwards. Not that I currently use this venue. Still, I think the idea is 12,000 or so (forget 10k too small) but a nicer 12,000. More room, more amenities, more concessions, shorter lines. Use the space you have and either put an awesome club seating/bar area ringing the whole arena in the upper decks or just space the capacity out.

This seems like all the wrong compromises.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Time to cut bait on the XL. Other than UConn, who has other options, what's left? We're spending $100 for AHL Hockey and the occasional monster truck rally? Wtaf?

Take $80M and build a new ice barn in Storrs or take $150M and build a new Gampel.

At 12k, no more NCAA regionals, no more concerts competing with Mohegan Sun.

I'm all for UConn playing at the XL, but doing it for 2k extra seats makes no sense if they pay anything for the use of the building.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Time to cut bait on the XL. Other than UConn, who has other options, what's left? We're spending $100 for AHL Hockey and the occasional monster truck rally? Wtaf?

Take $80M and build a new ice barn in Storrs or take $150M and build a new Gampel.

I'm all for UConn playing at the XL, but doing it for 2k extra seats makes no sense if they pay anything for the use of the building.

You may be on to something. Use the money primarily to upgrade facilities on campus.
Use remaining money to build a high speed supertrain connecting UConn's Hartford Campus to Storrs. Then, the Fairfield County crowd who bemoans the extra time it takes to get to/from Storrs can drive to Hartford, take a 10 minute train ride dropping them off on campus and all problems are solved. Express non-stop train.
For football you have train go from on campus to the rent to get students back and forth.

Reaction Score
Two points and in my opinion the XL is outdated so what i am saying is not related to my opinion

1) if you read the article capacity is not being reduced. A movable wall is being installed for most events 12k or under

2). My big worry. The state has a history of grandiose plans that they start but due to money don’t complete (this goes back to the original Constitution Plaza plan). I hope they don’t start this and halfway through say the funds are not there to buy the atrium. Than we are left with navigating the concourse with tables in the middle of it. Don’t overestimate the incompetence of our government.

Reaction Score

Totally agree.

Reaction Score
The bunker suites seem aptly named. Appears that 20 people can schlep into Hartford for the game, and watch it on TV in what appears to be the equivalent of a windowless "luxury apartment". Only 4 to 8 of the saps can actually see the live game. Do I have this right ?

Reaction Score
A few thoughts here...What does this do for UConn games and season ticket holders? If I read this correctly, the bunker suites are being built on the floor in the place of those first 5 or so rows (A through E) of seats off the floor? And will the bunker seats be available to season ticket holders? Or will they be available for purchase to the general public and corporations by the year like the sky boxes currently are? If thats the case, you will have many season ticket holders very upset because they are spending enough money for literal floor seats, and now they will be bumped up a little higher. All I care about is how this effects UConn games. I know with all the modern arenas, the revenue is all in the premium seating. I just worry that UConn games will turn into the feel of the new Yankee Stadium where a lot of the genuine fans were priced out or relocated and the games don’t have the same intensity because everybody is hiding out in their suites instead of being in the arena watching the actual game. In this case, fans will literally be hiding out in their bunkers...

Reaction Score
Ok. I’m not against any major upgrade to the XL. Honestly they should just knock it down and build a new 12-14k seat arena and try to attract an NHL team. Hartford is still going in the wrong direction and I for one would love to see it become the city it should be. Unfortunately I feel that Stamford has been and will continue to outpace it.

How the hell did they ever let the atrium end up in private hands? Whoever allowed that to happen I hope has lost their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom