XL Center- Plan C, D or ??? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

XL Center- Plan C, D or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

There was also the issue of opposition due to game day traffic issues by the usual group in the Storrs community that block any development. These were the same people who prevented I-384 being built from Hartford to Providence, which could have helped with the traffic.
On another matter Chief would like to give a big shoutout to my friends in Philly today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The state and the university attempted to have a stadium built in Storrs without success a number of times. Funding was not approved until it was attached to a Hartford area redevelopment plan that the legislature could support.

Many past sources can be found, "UCONN SITE FAVORED FOR STADIUM" Hartford, Connecticut Breaking News, Sports & Entertainment - Hartford Courant

also "The university had hoped to move into a large, on-campus stadium in 1997, but Rowland withdrew the plan after Senate Democrats said they lacked the votes to approve it."

An excellent beginning. Now, here’s a critical question, was the size and scope of the project in Storrs the same as the size and scope is Rentschler Field?

Since you actually took the time to look that up I’ll spare you a second dip into Google. The original proposal in Storrs included not only is stadium but also the equivalent of the Burton and in Shenkman buildings. It was that proposal that the legislature turned down.

So the notion that the legislature refused to build just the stadium in Storrs is wrong. The scope of the two projects were different.

(Oh and before you say that Pratt and Whitney‘s donation of the land made East Hartford a better choice financially, I’ll note that UConn owns three sites in Storrs which could accommodate a stadium and parking.)

BDF3EA6B-23B6-4DB2-8607-0EA77956AB47.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An excellent beginning. Now, here’s a critical question, was the size and scope of the project in Storrs the same as the size and scope is Rentschler Field?

Since you actually took the time to look that up I’ll spare you a second dip into Google. The original proposal in Storrs included not only is stadium but also the equivalent of the Burton and in Shenkman buildings. It was that proposal that the legislature turned down.

So the notion that the legislature refused to build just the stadium in Storrs is wrong. The scope of the two projects were different.

(Oh and before you say that Pratt and Whitney‘s donation of the land made East Hartford a better choice financially, I’ll note that UConn owns three sites in Storrs which could accommodate a stadium and parking.)

View attachment 62574
Do they own any roads and infrastructure to actually make use of the land for that purpose?

CL82

Reaction Score
Do they own any roads and infrastructure to actually make use of the land for that purpose?
I have to laugh. Sometimes it seems like we all could just save ourselves some time and just blow the dust off of the dozen or so prior threads that we have discussed this topic, rather than delve into it again.

But let me cut to the chase, there are plenty of football stadiums across the country that are not situated directly on a major highway. The two that I’ve cited particularly are West Point and Rutgers.

Tailgating essentially started so that people could arrive at the stadium early enough to beat the traffic. Same thing the end of the game, hang out, listen to the band, have an adult beverage and something to eat and then drive out at your leisure. Easy Peezy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have to laugh. Sometimes it seems like we all could just save ourselves some time and just blow the dust off of the dozen or so prior threads that I have discussed this topic, rather than delve into it again.

But let me cut to the chase, there are plenty of football stadiums across the country that are not situated directly on a major highway. The two that I’ve cited particularly are West Point and Rutgers.

Tailgating essentially started so that people could arrive at the stadium early enough to beat the traffic. Same thing the end of the game, hang out, listen to the band, have an adult beverage and something to eat and then drive out at your leisure. Easy Peezy.
Same ol' same ol'. People bringing up traffic is a yuge indicator of why big time college football is failing here. College games are a multiple days event at other programs. Here people are more concerned about leaving early to beat traffic. :(

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The in/out of Storrs had they built a football stadium isn't ideal but it's doable. For 6 or 7 Saturday afternoons you make the roads one way in and then one way out. Reality is it's probably 4-5 afternoons as there will usually be at least one night game and one Thurs or Fri night game. Plenty of property UConn owns that can support a 50k stadium and parking.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was also the issue of opposition due to game day traffic issues by the usual group in the Storrs community that block any development. These were the same people who prevented I-384 being built from Hartford to Providence, which could have helped with the traffic.
More Chief nonsense. I-384 was never finished because Rhode Island refused to complete their section from the state line to Providence.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the notion that the legislature refused to build just the stadium in Storrs is wrong.
The deadline to join Big East football had already expired without UConn getting a stadium in Storrs. They tried and failed several times. More nonsense from the king of bad faith.

C

Chief00

More Chief nonsense. I-384 was never finished because Rhode Island refused to complete their section from the state line to Providence.

The RI is true (due to a watershed issue) but you struck out on the CT opposition. You need to be better informed when you not only speak nonsense but accuse someone else as doing so.

C

Chief00

The in/out of Storrs had they built a football stadium isn't ideal but it's doable. For 6 or 7 Saturday afternoons you make the roads one way in and then one way out. Reality is it's probably 4-5 afternoons as there will usually be at least one night game and one Thurs or Fri night game. Plenty of property UConn owns that can support a 50k stadium and parking.
Agree - many school route traffics using two lanes going in one direction on game day. But, the opposition to progress is what it was.

TJT

Reaction Score

I think you are right. RI didn't want a highway near its largest reservoir which supplied more than half the state with its drinking water.

CL82

Reaction Score
The deadline to join Big East football had already expired without UConn getting a stadium in Storrs. They tried and failed several times. More nonsense from the king of bad faith.
LOL, was there a point in there? God, what happened to you? You used to be an OK poster, but now you were just “the king of whininess” [chuckle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom