Xavier Rathan-Mayes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier Rathan-Mayes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw on twitter Ollie and Miller are in Canada tonight meeting with his mother

Reaction Score
Desperately want XRM in a UConn jersey, hope Ollie works his magic and locks down the commitment.

Reaction Score
As fans, I'm not sure we should be in the business if picking who we want right now.

If someone wants to come here right now, that's good enough for me.

C

Chief00

Every day Manuel drags his feet - it is an opportunity cost involved with recruits - he needs to give the guys in field the tools needed.....in this case make Ollie coach.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
As fans, I'm not sure we should be in the business if picking who we want right now.

If someone wants to come here right now, that's good enough for me.

wrong

i know a kid at the local hs that wants to come here. he swims for a winter sport but he would love to put on a uconn jersey. were still uconn. u guys need to get out of this Stop fog you are all in. the ncaa hurt us yes, btu were not the first. look at usc fball and so many other cases. didn't miss a step. take our lump this year and ball harder next year.

Reaction Score
With so much in-state and NE talent, I wish UConn was in a more healthy state to pick off most of this talent, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Mccullough seems like a big catch, but I'm assuming the coaching uncertainty has impacted his thinking. He seemed high on the program a while back, but that seems to have changed. I'm assuming that it's not the program which has cooled on him, but you never know for sure. Sometimes character, academics, style of play, etc. play a part in all this. I'm not implying anything as far as Mccullough or any of the others.

They did seem to cool on Iverson for a while but have jumped back on his bandwagon. I think it had to do with character and work ethic concerns. When a player is blowing up, many programs are willing to overlook some of this. He was not living up to his hype, so I can understand why they might have cooled for a while. Now that his stock was on the rise during the summer, it seemed UConn's intersts rose as well, but that might have opened the door to some other programs. Even with that said, I would not be shocked if the staff prefered other wings over him due to these concerns.

We've all seen plenty of talented kids who lacked the work ethic flame out in college and not live up to their potential. I'd much rather see the program land a latebloomer who is working his ass off over the talented one who's fire might never get lit. I'll leave these decisions to the capable hands of JC and his staff, though I would like to see the program begin to win some of the battles for the elite regional players considering there seems to be some of the best talent coming out of the northeast.

In reference to Iverson, grades were an issue.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I really think Baylor, Illinois, and Texas are the dark horses here. Everyone is signing them off but one of XRM's main desires is to play a lot and play right away. He could do that at Baylor and Texas, and especially at Illinois. UConn has been notorious for not giving freshman huge minutes (with the exception of Kemba, Gordon, Okafor, and the 9 freshman team of 2011). I really hope UConn gets him, but it's going to be harder than everyone expects.

Reaction Score
I really think Baylor, Illinois, and Texas are the dark horses here. Everyone is signing them off but one of XRM's main desires is to play a lot and play right away. He could do that at Baylor and Texas, and especially at Illinois. UConn has been notorious for not giving freshman huge minutes (with the exception of Kemba, Gordon, Okafor, and the 9 freshman team of 2011). I really hope UConn gets him, but it's going to be harder than everyone expects.
Based on his talent level, PT here won't be an issue. It's always hard to say what it comes down to for each recruit. The uncertainty with what coaches will be there during the balance of their time time at whatever program they're considering is often a big one.

At this point, I'm so tired of even thinking about the head coaching situation. We all just have to accept the current situation and let it run its course...and hope the current staff can bring in enough talent with upside to keep the program at a high level.

Reaction Score

Really? If freshman are good enough to play (and all indications are that XRM is awfully good) they are going to play. Omar Calhoun will play a ton this year. Boatright and Drummond played a ton last year. Lamb, Roscoe, and Napier in 2011. Oriakhi in 2010. Kemba in 2009. Dyson, Thabeet, Robinson, etc. in 2007.

Reaction Score
There are only two questions I hope XRM doesn't ask. 1) who will be playing for and 2) what conference will i be playing in? Other than that it should be a great home visit..

caw

Reaction Score

That's just not true at all, assuming around 25 is huge minutes:

• 2012: Drummond and Boatright both played more than 25 with Daniels getting 12 a game
  • 2011: Lamb, Roscoe both played more than 25 per with Bazz at 24 with Giffey and Olander at 10.
  • 2010: Oriakhi was at 24+ with Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Majok at 11-15
  • 2009: Kemba was at 25
  • 2008: Zero, only had Bev as a freshman
  • 2007: Dyson, Thabeet were both over 24. Robinson was over 17, Kelly at 10.
  • 2006: Zero with Adrien and Austrie at 17 and Johnson and Garrison at 9.
  • 2005: Gay was over 25 and Kellog at 15
  • 2004: Zero, Charlie was at 19, Boone at 22, Williams at 14
  • 2003: Zero, Brown was at 22, Anderson at 15, White at 17, Armstrong at 11.
  • 2002: Gordon, Okafor were over 25 per game.

If the kid is good enough he will play as a freshman.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Clearly if your good enough you will expect big minutes.

The fact is nobody knows what sells a recruit to a school until he actually says it himself. We still need a big center though, and the staff hasn't addressed this problem.

caw

Reaction Score
Clearly if your good enough you will expect big minutes.

The fact is nobody knows what sells a recruit to a school until he actually says it himself. We still need a big center though, and the staff hasn't addressed this problem.

Part of this is that the center position for 2013 is really weak. There just aren't a ton of good center prospects this year. 2014 is much better.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
For 2014, I agree the class is better, but you can't just not recruit one year because the prospects aren't better than the next class.

Reaction Score
Every day Manuel drags his feet - it is an opportunity cost involved with recruits - he needs to give the guys in field the tools needed.....in this case make Ollie coach.

We have a Hall of Fame coach. His name is Jim Calhoun. This is not on the AD.

Reaction Score

So he has a better chance to play right away at Baylor next year? They return the best pure shooter in the country in Heslip (who will be a Sr next year) with L.J. Rose (Top 75 recruit) Gary Franklin (will be a Sr.) and guard Deuce Bello. UConn is a better fit on paper for PT than Baylor by a long shot bro.

Reaction Score

"notorious" how? If you earn the time you play......where would you like me to start, with Chris Smith or where? You're not close on that one, you're good enough you play.......this isn't Duke!!

C

Chief00

OK Manuel listened or more concisely go pressured into hiring KO.....now we are in Mayes top 3. Moving on up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom