Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Agree! I lost count of how many times X got a bounce their way. We just could not hit a basket to save our arses. The two technicals were not any help and very stupid.
Yes the techs stunk but the whistle was only going one way for a very long time. It’s proving to show 2 early fouls trump 2 late ones. First half had one team getting pinched.

Reaction Score
But I think the question is how many games was it close and down the stretch we put it out of reach? I’d like to know his record in games where the game is within 4 with 2 minutes to play. We still need to win more close games moving forward
I appreciate your effort to defend Hurley and Co. against the mob all by yourself but it’s not worth it. You’ll just end up as bitter as the rest of the trolls screaming into the void.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Travis Steele said the same thing Jay Wright did: UConn guards against the 3 really well, and that opens opportunities to score inside. The Huskies have to make better adjustments for that (and keep Sanogo out of foul trouble). Question and answer regarding that at 5:52. He also talks later in the video about pulling Whaley away from the rim so they would have easier looks inside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Our rebounding was abysmal last night, bad outside shooting. Improvement on either of those and we probably win.

Reaction Score
Travis Steele said the same thing Jay Wright did: UConn guards against the 3 really well, and that opens opportunities to score inside. The Huskies have to make better adjustments for that (and keep Sanogo out of foul trouble). Question and answer regarding that at 5:52. He also talks later in the video about pulling Whaley away from the rim so they would have easier looks inside.

Why would a coach pull Whaley away from the rim in a strategic manner? I mean the BY brains say Isaiah sucks so Steele is so wrong here. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Is it really 6-25? I know it's bad but that seems unbelievably bad
A big chunk of them are from the first 2 seasons of the rebuild when Hurley helped a ragtag bunch of kids to play tough and stay in games where they were clearly outclassed in talent.

In those instances, keeping it close but losing was a positive achievement

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
The situation we are going through is what all good teams go through with few exceptions after you lose a legend coach.

We are too old of a team to give the inconsistent performances that we do.

Hurley has been coaching too long for the lack of adjustments in game he continues to make.

UConn is an average team that beats up on bad comp loses to good comp and is 50/50 versus other average teams. Your definition of average, good and bad might differ but it holds to non the less.

The nightly arguments from the hurley is the second coming crowd and the fire hurley yesterday crowd are funny but niether side makes it about basketball. Just foolishness all the time.

When you look at the basketball factors, it’s clear that hurley does some things very well, some thing okay and others poorly. Jury is out on hurley and it will remain out until something obvious happens.

We are UConn not duke or unc, if we are ranked every year and winning a game in the tourney hurley isn’t going anywhere. Just have to adjust to a new normal, is that good? Not really but it’s reality.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The difference between winning and losing is so slim that a coach can not make the mistakes that Hurley makes, and certainly can't get a technical with 3 minutes left, and expect to win.

Reaction Score
Our rebounding was abysmal last night, bad outside shooting. Improvement on either of those and we probably win.
The more I replay the first 3 minutes in my mind the more I remember knowing at that point that UConn was going to lose.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Why would a coach pull Whaley away from the rim in a strategic manner? I mean the BY brains say Isaiah sucks so Steele is so wrong here. :rolleyes:
Isaiah is a top-level defender, though he's human, and has had lapses here and there. Hurley & Co. would do well to pay attention to the fact that teams like Xavier and Villanova have found a chink in the armor and exploited it, via Nunge and Dixon, and other teams will rightly try the same approach. Defense simply has to be better.

Reaction Score
Gaffney take a bow. Not perfect but his aggressiveness was much needed in the first half. Miffed that DH pulled him after the bs fall call on the 3 pt play.

Cole was bad for what we need from him. He looks totally lost in the pick and roll. Sanogo went missing, awful game from him.

Martin needs to open his eyes on layups. Just throwing the ball up at this point.

Whaley is an amazing off ball defender but gets consistently brutalized one on one.

Andre Jackson is a busboy right now - he’s bringing nothing to the table, only taking things away.

We have too many guys with undefined roles and it’s February. DH still hasn’t figured his rotations out. That technical was awful - it was the right idea, 15 minutes too late. He needs to rein it in.

Hurley doesn’t know how to coach when his team isn’t clicking. Hopefully he learns. Missed a big chance at a nice road win tonight.
The bus boy line is high comedy . Regarding DH is there a difference between doesn’t know how to coach implying inexperienced versus coaches decision; opportunities to make a different decision but doesn’t. I can’t make up my mind with this team are they an old school Jim Calhoun overachieving team scrapping all the time (pre national championships) or an underachieving team without the right coaching.

Reaction Score
When you lose Sanogo and Cole with foul problems for long stretches, it puts you behind the 8 ball because the replacements are not close in talent. Gaffney has to give us more. He was actually pretty good in this game, but he made a few questionable gaffs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom