Xavier Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post Game Thread

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I would like to have seen us seal off the paint better and draw more offense fouls, though Scruggs makes it tough as he's a slasher and likes to attack the basket at an angle. Still, I think we could have done a better job on Freemantle and Nunge, though the latter could have hurt us even worse as he had two or three uncontested shots from beyond the arc that didn't fall.

Reaction Score
Villanova would have won this game by 20. Marquette, providence, seton hall.
Hell, even creighton would have won. Did you not see Xavier had nothing? We were lifeless. That is not the sign of a good team.
How do you prove this? When they all have WAY worse losses than this.

Reaction Score
Where were you after Marquette? Where have you been during any win?
MU win was super. Great effort, fight and struggle by the players. I thought Hurley provided little other than being an additional cheerleader on the sideline. I thought the players gutted that one out and would not be out played. Great win vs a tough team.

It was not a coaching tactical masterwork. It was the players muscle and sweat inside. That was the MU game.

Reaction Score
MU win was super. Great effort, fight and struggle by the players. I thought Hurley provided little other than being an additional cheerleader on the sideline. I thought the players gutted that one out and would not be out played. Great win vs a tough team.

It was not a coaching tactical masterwork. It was the players muscle and sweat inside. That was the MU game.
Oh I see what this is. Hurley no good, right?

Reaction Score
Wrong. He said we can’t play well close games which is factually untrue. The boneyard created that. Sometimes we play well down the stretch, sometimes we don’t. Saying otherwise is what we call “gassing”
Hurley is 6-25 in games decided by 4 points or less in his first 4 seasons at UConn.

He said, for the most part we beat up on the bottom half of the Big East and generally lose frustrating close games to the good teams in the conference. Marquette is the one exception.

Everything he said is true.

Reaction Score
Did we play well?
We played decently. Just not well enough to win on the road. Gaff, Cole, and Martin all had good games. Our offense without Sanogo for long stretches is just not going to be good this year. He has to stay out of foul trouble
Martins defense stunk as did a lot of the other players. We did not play even decent

Reaction Score
Let’s see what happens sunday
But we don’t have to. Seton Hall just snapped a losing streak. A Marquette team we swept beat Nova by 20. By your definition they’re are no good teams in the country. Everything you’re saying is all conjecture.

Reaction Score
SMH. No one is suggesting this is a bad resume loss. It was a bad loss. Not sure what game you were watching but I saw nothing positive. It’s the middle of February. This team is regressing.
IS THERE A LOSS THIS SEASON YOU WOULD NOT CALL A BAD LOSS? I’ve literally seen the boneyard call every loss this season a bad loss. By the boneyards standards we should be undefeated.

Reaction Score
This loss does not hurt or season. I used the English language rather clearly. Our prospects for this season are no better or worse than they were yesterday
Wow, every loss and every win impacts your season. Losses hurt your team, wins help your team. This really isn't hard.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
SMH. No one is suggesting this is a bad resume loss. It was a bad loss. Not sure what game you were watching but I saw nothing positive. It’s the middle of February. This team is regressing.
They are not regressing. They are playing going teams. Against non-P6 schools, we are 8-0; against P5 schools, we are 8-7. Most of our games at the beginning of the season were against bad teams. We should have played a better OOC (like Marquette) to get better tested.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
It was really difficult to develop any flow on offense with all of whistles, and with Sanogo and Cole on the bench for good stretches of the game. Jalen Gaffney was a bright spot though, and we were only down by 3 at the half, and found ourselves within one possession very late in the game. Not a bad effort, and I didn't see any quit in our guys. We just didn't quite have enough tonight, and Xavier looked just a little hungrier and more desperate for the win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I actually don't believe Hurley coached better or worse. I think what happened is that we have a very inconsistent team and for a team as experienced as they are they shouldn't play as inconsistent as they do. I think that is on Hurley. Some may say but poly what about UK or Duke they don't show up every game, well yes but they are also led by freshmen... So while we played poorly today I want to see a consistent level of play from the team and that is on the coach.
Did you copy and paste this post from earlier?

Reaction Score
Oh I see what this is. Hurley no good, right?
Absolutely. I do not like his style. We have too much talent to continually come up small while he melts down vs better competition. I don't think his demeanor helps in tight situations. He has LOADS of talent and has used that to beat Q3/Q4 teams.

So see you after SJU when Uconn will win by 30+ and DH will jump up and down like a jack-in-the-box, yell at Uconn fans about "where are they now," and say we are one of the best teams in the country. Talk less; win more.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. I do not like his style. We have too much talent to continually come up small while he melts down vs better competition. I don't think his demeanor helps in tight situations. He has LOADS of talent and has used that to beat Q3/Q4 teams.

So see you after SJU when Uconn will win by 30+ and DH will jump up and down like a jack-in-the-box, yell at Uconn fans about "where are they now," and say we are one of the best teams in the country. Talk less; win more.
I will not see you after the St John’s win. You won’t be here. I’ll see you after our next loss, whenever that is

Reaction Score
I will not see you after the St John’s win. You won’t be here. I’ll see you after our next loss, whenever that is
So let's flip it around: DH is what you want as the Head Coach? His demeanor in late games situations is spot on to your expectation?

And I said Huskies would beat SJU by 30+.

Reaction Score
Wow, every loss and every win impacts your season. Losses hurt your team, wins help your team. This really isn't hard.
We were a 6 seed entering tonight. I guarantee you we’ll be a 6 seed after tonight. Some wins are better than others. And some losses hold a lot less weight than other. The trajectory of our season did not change after tonight. That’s what I call a bad loss. This isn’t hard.

Reaction Score
So let's flip it around: DH is what you want as the Head Coach? His demeanor in late games situations is spot on to your expectation?

And I said Huskies would beat SJU by 30+.
Im in wait and see mode. He’s done incredibly more good than anything negative though

Reaction Score
Hurley is 6-25 in games decided by 4 points or less in his first 4 seasons at UConn.

He said, for the most part we beat up on the bottom half of the Big East and generally lose frustrating close games to the good teams in the conference. Marquette is the one exception.

Everything he said is true.
Is it really 6-25? I know it's bad but that seems unbelievably bad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom