OT: - WWC (Soccer) Thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: WWC (Soccer) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No. White was onside at the moment the pass was made since she was actually slightly behind the ball and also behind the American defender (O'Hara) who was trying to mark the Brit who made the pass. If you freeze the action at the moment the pass was made, it is quite clear.
The VAR did freeze it. Correct call. Offsides. Doesn't seem to be much complaining from the Brits so I assume they agree. Tough break. Soccer is a cruel game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The VAR did freeze it. Correct call. Offsides. Doesn't seem to be much complaining from the Brits so I assume they agree. Tough break. Soccer is a cruel game.
Huh? Why would the "Brits" be complaining about an offside call that wasn't made against them?

If you're still talking about the play where England was ultimately awarded a penalty by VAR, here it is:

Looks onside to me.

Reaction Score
Huh? Why would the "Brits" be complaining about an offside call that wasn't made against them?

If you're still talking about the play where England was ultimately awarded a penalty by VAR, here it is:

Looks onside to me.

I believe they're referring to the play where the Brits' goal was nullified by an offsides - it was definitely called against them.

Reaction Score
Puir England! Now they won't be invited to Downing Street.

Reaction Score

Looks onside to me.

Nope not that call. That's a penalty for sure.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Nope not that call. That's a penalty for sure.

Then which play were you talking about? Below is your comment that elicited the discussion. I can't think of any other penalty kick in the game...

I may have to look at the play from start but it sure looked both of England's player were offside...and not by an inch...therefore that penalty kick/VAR should have never taken place, if anything to check whether England was/were offside on play.
[/
QUOTE]

Reaction Score

We weren't discussing that play - which as you say was clearly offside. The discussion was about whether White was offside just prior to the "foul" that led to the PK. She wasn't - but it was tough to tell in real time, since she was well past the defenders on her side of the field.

Reaction Score
We weren't discussing that play - which as you say was clearly offside. The discussion was about whether White was offside just prior to the "foul" that led to the PK. She wasn't - but it was tough to tell in real time, since she was well past the defenders on her side of the field.
I see. I stand corrected. Thanks

Reaction Score
The bottom line is the US won and are in the final. England or France could have beaten the US but the ladies hung tough. Rapinoe will play on Sunday but we will have to wait on Lavelle. Lavelle had hamstring issue earlier in the year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Easy for me to say from my chair, but O'Hara has to do a better job of stopping that cross from coming in. That was too easy.
Yes, and Dahlkemper has to actually mark the attacker running straight to the mouth of the goal.
True, but that was an excellent cross and excellent finish.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the abstract, I'm not a fan of VAR being used to judge a player a centimeter offsides retroactively.

In this particular instance, I'll make an exception.
Agree, that was too close to be called offside. Like Dunn's was last game. BUT, this game I'll take it. :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not by a guess (at least not in theory). When there's a stoppage situation the referee is supposed to track the time on their wristwatch.
I believe at this level the 4O backs up the CR also.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Press did play well overall, but failing to lay that ball off to a wide-open Morgan in the second half could have proved costly. Overall I think Rapinoe's decisions and playmaking are more consistently quality than Press's.
Yea, she should have made the pass, however, she's a FW/ST and they shoot when they have a shot. Rapinoe would have done the same thing.

Rapinoe's decisions aren't really all that great (similar if she's got a shot or half chance, she's gonna take it), however, she does make really great plays on occasion.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All calls in the game were good. Correct on offside, penalty and red card. VAR used just to confirm. Game ended as it should. Great jobs to both teams.
Almost. RC should have been a straight red (SFP) instead of a 2nd YC. She'll get dinged on that in her assessment.

Reaction Score

Looks onside to me.

This is the play the penalty/VAR was called for White. At the 0:08 and 0:35 second mark, White is offside but was not called...therefore the penalty kick was given to White. In my original post, I mentioned the VAR was used to determine penalty kick, but I mentioned it should have never gone that far...VAR should have been used to determine offside, where White definitely is...at the 0:08 and 0:35 second mark of the attached video. Some of the comments on video also saying the same thing.

Reaction Score
No. White was onside at the moment the pass was made since she was actually slightly behind the ball and also behind the American defender (O'Hara) who was trying to mark the Brit who made the pass. If you freeze the action at the moment the pass was made, it is quite clear.

You may be looking at another play...I replied to @Plebe ....see above. White far side looks very much offside to me.

Reaction Score
This is the play the penalty/VAR was called for White. At the 0:08 and 0:35 second mark, White is offside but was not called...therefore the penalty kick was given to White. In my original post, I mentioned the VAR was used to determine penalty kick, but I mentioned it should have never gone that far...VAR should have been used to determine offside, where White definitely is...at the 0:08 and 0:35 second mark of the attached video. Some of the comments on video also saying the same thing.
View attachment 44440

No. In the situation that you show, the pass went to the attacker on the left side - who is clearly onside. Then she eventually passed across to White, who was also clearly onside by that point.

Reaction Score
You may be looking at another play...I replied to @Plebe ....see above. White far side looks very much offside to me.

No. I am guessing you are a very casual soccer fan. White is in an offside position - which is perfectly legal - BUT the pass went to the attacker on the left, who is very clearly onside. By the time, a cross was made to White, she too was onside. Video shows it was not close.

Reaction Score
No. In the situation that you show, the pass went to the attacker on the left side - who is clearly onside. Then she eventually passed across to White, who was also clearly onside by that point.

Let me understand the rules, White can be offside as long as she does not touch the ball first? I thought soccer was an easy game.

EDIT: and yes I am a casual fan...I come out once every 4 years. :rolleyes:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Puir England! Now they won't be invited to Downing Street.
There is no one there to buy the fish and chips just now anyway.

Reaction Score
Let me understand the rules, White can be offside as long as she does not touch the ball first? I thought soccer was an easy game.

EDIT: and yes I am a casual fan...I come out once every 4 years. :rolleyes:

To be called for offside, she has to somehow get involved in the play. Can either touch the ball or interfere with a defender or screen the goalie. Etc. But if she doesn't do any of those things, she can stand in an offside position for 90 minutes and never draw a flag. (Note that there is a big difference between being offside and merely being in an offside position.)

Reaction Score
View attachment 44440
Since she is not effecting the play at that point it is not offside. Before the ball was played to her she got back on side, Therefore no offside on the play. Sorry Stamfordhusky already addressed the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom