Wvu Suing Big East: "lack Of Leadership", Etc. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wvu Suing Big East: "lack Of Leadership", Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WVU and its fan base has typically gotten a pass on most Big East boards. I'm assuming it's because they've always seemed loyal in the past, and because they helped the Big Easts football reputation with a couple BCS wins. WVU had a chance to be like VPI during Exodus I. Miami and BC left first so most didn't blame VPI because they just reacted to protect their interest. I don't think anyone was going to blame any of the non-Syracuse/Pitt football teams for finding a landing place, but this lawsuit changes things for me. WVU is basically trying to completely screw UConn, RU, Louisville, Cincy, and USF. They know that the only chance to keep a BCS bid is to stick around (with Pitt and Syracuse) for 2 more years and they are trying to blow that up.

I have more of a problem with WVU's lawsuit than I do with Syracuse and Pitt's move. The fact that the Big XII allowed WVU to do this says a lot. I can't believe that WVU did this without pressure from the Big XII. I would have to think that the Big XII told WVU they needed someone for next year. WVU either exaggerated or had some reason to believe that that they could get out early. When they couldn't get the okay from the other football schools, they got desperate and now they're suing. No matter the outcome, WVU's image is stained.

I would think that the outcome of this suit is going to be either a total armageddon of lawsuits against teams, conferences, and/or networks with eventual legislative involvement or someone is going to call the big conferences into a room and explain that it's in their best interest to find a landing place for UConn, RU, Louisville, Cincy and USF. Fun stuff!

Reaction Score
If nothing else, it will bring many BE FB issues to light. I believe it will force some changes down the road so it can't be bad for new members. Also, if BE does counter suit it could get very ugly for the ACC, ESPN and the B12. I am not sure BE would want to get ESPN involved right now due potential new TV deal down the road, but their involvement in this whole mess is what started this whole thing. I have no idea why B12 has such disregard regarding BE's by-laws, but they will be dragged into this as well.

Only possible solution is if all the remaining FB schools find landing spots so everyone can leave early. I just don't see how WVU and others get around this 27 months exit thing.

Reaction Score
I would think that the outcome of this suit is going to be either a total armageddon of lawsuits against teams, conferences, and/or networks with eventual legislative involvement or someone is going to call the big conferences into a room and explain that it's in their best interest to find a landing place for UConn, RU, Louisville, Cincy and USF. Fun stuff!

I hope this is what happens because otherwise UConn is walking slowly to its death.

Reaction Score
One example please of how the BB schools were treated better by the commissioner? Just one example with proof. All I'm asking for is one.

Waiting on Villanova for 9 months while they dithered around trying to make a decision amd then made a half-assed proposal to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. But it is immediately removable under diversity rules, unless West Virginia sued an in state party. I didn't read it.

Edit: Let me take that back about removability. I just did a Google search and if the state is the real party in interest, then it cannot be removed. So, further to my earlier point, no one in the big east is going to have the will to oppose this lawsuit, especially if it means attending court in some backwoods courthouse filled with mountainmen carrying muskets. Ain't happenin. They are outtahere.

Let me get this straight: your saying that the BE conference needs to have the schools permission to fight this? If that is the case than the BE is dead because at least 5 of the schools mentioned have a vested (or presumed) interest in seeing this lawsuit go forward uncontested. Am I reading you correctly? If so, then obviously, any school can pay a meager sum and go on its way without any resistance! I'm not doubting you, I just find that to be incredible. Either that, or I'm reading your conclusion wrongly.

Reaction Score
One example please of how the BB schools were treated better by the commissioner? Just one example with proof. All I'm asking for is one.

1. Pushing Villanova
2. Squelching the addition of Kansas, KSU, etc., last year when the B12 temporarily unraveled.

Reaction Score
"The BE has denigrated into a non-BCS conference."

What?

This documented is not changing anyone's stereotypes about the educational system in the state of West Virginia.

Reaction Score
"Frustration of Purpose"?? Isn't that what Marinade is in every day?

Reaction Score
Other than allowing PC to continue as a member, do you really need more evidence? ;)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The action WV has taken with this lawsuit has done more damage to the remaining football members then anything the basket ball schools may or may not have done ever.

This legal action can prevent any commitment by other universities and prevent what little hope there is for retaining a BCS bid. If that happens UConn could rapidly get worse in its major sports because recruiting could suffer. Anger and resentment towards things that took place in the past undermines the action that needs to take place today.

I'm a UConn fan and graduate. My loyalty is to UConn. My hope is this university can stay above the emotional angst I'm observing in this forum, because emotions can get in the way of logical thinking. Each move made by any of the players changes the landscape and hence the strategy the various universities need to act upon. Yesterdays enemy may become todays friend and if people aren't quick to accept this they will end up shooting themselves in the foot.

My hope is UConn ends up in some BCS conference when this is all said and done. I'm not invested in what that conference looks like. Get the university in a BCS conference and the school has a chance to do everything in its power to keep it bb program at a high level and get the football program into a top tier.

It seems that some people are only interested in a specific outcomes and not some general survival. That is dangerous because in the end, outside of the programs working on establishing excellence, fan support will be necessary. And fan support can diminish if people believe that they have to have their way with events.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Maybe WVU is just pushing this lawsuit to put pressure on the BE and make them make the decision - whether to bring this thing to court and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on legal fees or to settle this out of court and watch WVU leave. To me, it would be insane for Cuse and Pitt not to get in on this as co-plantiffs, because even though the BE may have the upper hand, it's still going to cost them a lot of money to make the defense. I think this is just politics by WVU - and not necessarily a crazy move. Without this, the BE has all the power. At least WVU has a slight bargaining chip now in their negotiations to leave early.

If I am not mistaken, Swofford said that the schools accepted into the ACC would have to fulfill their obligations to their current conference. In that respect, he acted fairly and he said that the ACC does not expect Pitt and Cuse until they have fulfilled the 27 month obligation. It also sounds as if he would discourage them from joining the suit. On the flipside, what WVU is doing, and tacitly agreed with by the Big XII, is nothing short of an embarrassment. I hope the BE shoves it up their collective backside.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Finally reading the complaint. This is tremendously amateurish. If I so much as presented a draft this bad to my partner my first year out of law school I would have had some explaining to do.

Look at Paragraph 32, wherein the departure of Pitt, UConn and TCU....created an imbalance. I wish. I won't repeat the solid analysis of BL and others, but these claims are little more than unsubstantiated assertions. Really very weak on the merits. The restraint of trade claim is a laugher. 27 months is longer than is needed to protect the interests of the BE? Actually it's exactly how long they need under the BCS continuity rule. I have little doubt that in discovery the BE can show that WVU supported that period for that very reason.

Here's the attorney who signed it, but he had a low level associate draft it I'm sure. Probably Seth Hayes. WVU grads all. http://www.jacksonkelly.com/jk/index.asp?w=Attorneysbio&empl_uno=290

Reaction Score
For the lawyers out there, if WVU somehow wins this judgment, is any precedence set for other schools looking to exit their leagues w/out adhering to the exit agreement (FSU, VT, Mizzou, OU, Texas, etc...). I'm guessing no, or it would be a very long shot,but just curious.

Reaction Score
1. Pushing Villanova
2. Squelching the addition of Kansas, KSU, etc., last year when the B12 temporarily unraveled.

Unbelievable. As to #2, Kansas et al wanted a plan if the XII fell apart. They weren't looking to leave the Big XII for the Big East. And by all reports the conference was going to offer them if the XII fell apart.

As to #1, either explain to me why the Big East having invited UCF five months ago if we eliminated Nova would have kept us out of this mess or explain why you mention it as being relevant.

Logic, people, please.

Reaction Score
For the lawyers out there, if WVU somehow wins this judgment, is any precedence set for other schools looking to exit their leagues w/out adhering to the exit agreement (FSU, VT, Mizzou, OU, Texas, etc...). I'm guessing no, or it would be a very long shot,but just curious.

They are arguing they get to leave early because Marinatto sucks. Oklahoma would presumably have to argue that Nievas was a boob. If you consider that precedent ....

Doesn't matter. Don't see how WVU can win.

Reaction Score
Not an expert at this, but I don't think state universities can only be sued in their state, as the state itself can. And, in any event, only federal courts (I think) have jurisdiction in disputes between states, so as soon as Rutgers and UConn come in as parties, in addition to the Big East, that would be another reason for removal.

Gars -- I'm not getting your apparent glee over the Big East defaulting. Unless UConn is in the ACC by then, why do you think that will happen, or why would you like to see it happen.
?? not at all my attitude. just don't c where the
Not an expert at this, but I don't think state universities can only be sued in their state, as the state itself can. And, in any event, only federal courts (I think) have jurisdiction in disputes between states, so as soon as Rutgers and UConn come in as parties, in addition to the Big East, that would be another reason for removal.

Gars -- I'm not getting your apparent glee over the Big East defaulting. Unless UConn is in the ACC by then, why do you think that will happen, or why would you like to see it happen.
??? that's not my attitude.

Reaction Score
So help a struggling lawyer out. Why will no one defend it. Why are you confident that the Big East office, on behalf of USF, isn't going to try to keep the football league together for two more seasons?

Reaction Score
bl, can't type now. using cell ph and too hard/cold. manana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom