Wvu Suing Big East: "lack Of Leadership", Etc. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Wvu Suing Big East: "lack Of Leadership", Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is only for NCAA championships. There the BE gets to count all the BB schools or soccer, or whatever sport.
OK re-read the link, right. The Big East will have to maintain 8 schools playing football who are full members each year to remain an FBS conference. Depending on when new full members can begin play, the BE may still need Syracuse, Pitt and WVU to stay for a awhile.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OK re-read the link, right. The Big East will have to maintain 8 schools playing football who are full members each year to remain an FBS conference. Depending on when new full members can begin play, the BE may still need Syracuse, Pitt and WVU to stay for a awhile.
Yes. We can now see why the all-sports invitees are critical. Adding Navy, and Boise won't help, as they don't count toward the 8.

Reaction Score
I just typed up a good response to all of this but it's too long to post and I lost it. Very annoying.

Bottom line is that 8 teams minimum to sponsor a division 1-A football conference is an NCAA rule that dates way back. Fact. Big 8 conference in existince from 1900 or so to 1996? I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there was no grace period rule until the ACC/Big East moves in 2003. At that point, I believe, the NCAA created a window of time for a conference to get to at least 8 members if they lose members.

The only thing anything of that has to do with the BCS-AQ status is that the BCS membership consists of all 11 division 1-A football conferences, and the only way that is on paper that we can lose AQ status, at least for the next two years minimum, is if we fail to actually be a division 1-A conference.

This is an impossibility in the next 2 years. If we only have 5 members in 2014? Now you've got an issue.

As for AQ status, I don't have the rules in front of me, but there is no time frame / grace period in calculations. It's based entirely on what members are actually in the conference at that point in time. Which is a problem in and of itself, and the entire reason that a program like TCU or Boise is attractive to the BCS.

I despise the BCS, but I haven't the faintest idea how to get rid of it in place of a playoff system among the 11 division 1-A conferences.

Reaction Score
Yes - that's the key. All sports membership. I've been talkinga bout all sports conference in the Northeast since day 1 around here. Lots of people have wanted it, big time people in big places, but big east basketball has muddled it all up for a long time, and were stuck trying to piece together a nationwide conference at this point.

You need 8 programs in any single year to be an official 1-A level conference. That means you need to field at least 11 or 12 or something sports. Football is the key here obviously, with basketball, but there are another minimum of I think 10 sports that must be carried. This is why Notre Dame is such an issue.

I think the only basketball/catholic that qualifies is ducking Notre Dame. Which forever on forward henceforth to me will always be labeld and known as ducking Notre Dame.

I really hope, that once this all is done, the conference expands significantly and most importantly, above all else, sets up an entirely new leadership for football schools only, and that the league divides in half.

Make it a three branch leadership. Football and all sports besides basketball. Basketball (men's and women's) for everybody, and then a separate olympics for the catholics that don't meet 1-A qualifications.

I jsut don't think that one conference commissioner is going to be enough to manage what the big east seems to working toward.

Two divisions in the conference along natural lines (division 1-A football, and catholics) and a 12 team football only conference.

Reaction Score
I don't see the suit as anything more than WVU trying to find away to buy their way out early, when they found out they weren't going to be able to buy their way out early.

Reaction Score
The ACC has been very clear on this, as have other conferences. To be a member of those conferences, you're going to compete in all the same sports.

The big east, since day 1 in 1979, has never held that approach. It's damn hard thing to manage that way.

it can change now though, if the conference can create three divisions in which each member competes in the same sports.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The ACC has been very clear on this, as have other conferences. To be a member of those conferences, you're going to compete in all the same sports.

The big east, since day 1 in 1979, has never held that approach. It's damn hard thing to manage that way.

it can change now though, if the conference can create three divisions in which each member competes in the same sports.
Good thing for UConn that rule applied.

Reaction Score
You shouldn't waste our time if you can't even do enough reading to know what you are talking about. The Circuit Ccourt of Monongalia County, West Virginia, where the suit was filed, is a "state" court. That is as opposed to the U.S. District Court for the relevant area, which would be a "federal" court. Your 8th grade social studies teacher hasn't explained the difference to you yet? Don't worry, probably coming in the spring.

Your second point (which, by the way, is in direct contradiction to your first because if you weren't in state court your point would be irrelevant) you have lifted from the WVU brief. I hate to break it to you, but there are often second sides to arguments made in a brief. If you'd like to wager whether this will ultimately by tried in state or federal court, and you have your mommy's permission ....

Not to get into a pissing match with you, because you are obviously all emotional about this development today, but you are ignoring venue, genius. WVU can still clearly have a "home court" advantage by having the case heard in West Virginia, even if it's in federal court. Now I'll let you go back to crying in your beer, although you might be better served by thinking about the upsides that could accrue to UConn if the Big East were to blow apart, rather than being trapped in the purgatory that a C-USA like conference would leave you in.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Not to get into a pissing match with you, because you are obviously all emotional about this development today, but you are ignoring venue, genius. WVU can still clearly have a "home court" advantage by having the case heard in West Virginia, even if it's in federal court. Now I'll let you go back to crying in your beer, although you might be better served by thinking about the upsides that could accrue to UConn if the Big East were to blow apart, rather than being trapped in the purgatory that a C-USA like conference would leave you in.

Is there an exit fee that we can pay you for you to leave? Hopefully there isn't a time requirement for that to happen as well!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is there an exit fee that we can pay you for you to leave? Hopefully there isn't a time requirement for that to happen as well!
What?! And lose the entertainment value of this moron who has probably only ever entered a courtroom in handcuffs?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
OK, but can't one put a price on that? If so, doesn't that decrease the likelihood of successfully enforcing a remedy of specific performance? Granted, it makes the monetary penalty for departing prematurely enormous . . .
Loss of BCS status may make it impossible to add the schools we are planning to add. Without those schools the television contract may end up being reduced by upwards of $100 mm. If can be possible that an early departure by WVU would have a nine figure impact on the BE. If this were put into a judge's hands, he could decide that WVU does owe the BE that as damages for departing early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom