WVU gone from BE...Slive ( SEC commish) authorized to negotiate with WVU | The Boneyard

WVU gone from BE...Slive ( SEC commish) authorized to negotiate with WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SEC board met tonight. TAMU in, WVU next

This looks legit. Surprising, but legit. This is definitely bad news for the Big East.

Amazing what happens when a league, the ACC, decides to just stick together instead of run for the door. The problem WVU has is Rutgers can't be trusted to stay if the Big 10 calls, so why should WVU stay.

Reaction Score
Gotta be a link out there somewhere no? I agree with Muntz, a lot of the BE uncertainty has to do with RU's creamfest with the Big 10 last year, "we're in, so long losers". Well probably not, but it is good to hate them even more.

Reaction Score
According to A&M board, Slive given authority to negotiate w/ WVU and Missouri. It ain't a done deal they go w/ WVU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are too many permutations to list them all. The first one is whether WVU opens negotiations with the SEC. The best answer for us would be if they, like FSU and VTech before them, say "thanks, but no thanks". If they don't, we have a problem.

Reaction Score
SO let me get this straight. The league that refuses to seek out other teams because they are afraid of lawsuits and forced A&M to go back to the drawing board to fake the scenario so it looked like they are leaving the Big12 first just voted to try and poach another team from the same league as well as the Big East and somehow thats OK? I'll tell you what there sure is alot of BS going around.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't bother jumping to conclusions. Yesterday the rumor was Texas to the ACC and before that the Pac 12. Last year it was Texas to the Big 10 and then the SEC. Last year Rutgers, Missouri and either Cuse or Pitt supposed to go to the Big 10. Weren't VT, Clemson and FSU supposed to go to the SEC this year? Really who knows. There is so much BS and so many rumors out there the last two years it has been ridiculous.

Reaction Score
The source on the atm board that posted this has been very, very good with his information. I'd say it's not set in stone, but it's pretty close. If they do go WVU, then I'm happy for them and will continue to pull for them in the future, they've been a great flag bearer for the conference. Unfortunately, this may be the death knell for the Big East. WVU is without a doubt the most successful football program, and they'll be hard pressed to get many worthwhile teams to join the conference if the product is dampened. If I'm Marianatto, now I'm just going to go all out and basically put together a theoretical TV plan with the previous numbers, make some estimations of what it'd be with new members, and invite everyone under the sun. KU, Mizzou, BC, MD, hell why not PSU and ND for fun, see how much VT likes playing there. At this point, just go for it. Probably will come up empty, but worth a shot. If Larry Scott can pull a rabbit out of his hat with one or two top programs and a bunch of medicore chumps in some big markets, why not the Big East?

Reaction Score
The pressure is going to come when the NCAA finally sets up a National Championship playoff similar to March Madness and believe me it's coming. For every Miami and Fiesta Bowl scandal your just pushing the NCAA to either be abolished all together or set up a legit playoff system to determine a National Champ if for nothing else than self preservation. It isn't just the Big East that might be on the brink of extinction but the NCAA itself. So when push comes to shove the NCAA will up the anti and create a National Championship playoff series for Div 1. Then teams like WVU are going to consider whether their chances of making that automatic bid are easier in the Big East or the SEC. Same with Notre Dame. Is it easier to battle Big East teams or Big 10 teams? That's when things will start to calm down and the conferences will level out. Right now no one knows what's going on so everyone is maneuvering for the only thing they know for sure is solid and that's TV revenue. Sure... there's gonna be TV money out there for conference rivalry games and the traditional non conference match ups(ND vs USC) but the big money is going to be on those National Championship playoffs and that's what every school will be jockeying for. It's gonna happen folks. Lets just hope that the Big East leadership can hold things together till it does..

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I read it that Missouri is the favorite but may not be available. If not its WVU. Otherwise there would be no mention of Missouri. They'd just offer WVU and be done with it.

Missouri will stay Big-12 if Oklahoma stays. Then go for WVU
Missouri: may get squeezed out of PAC-16 deal. The shameless ho will take an SEC offer.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
does the sec think it might be a player for a ok/okst or ok/kan type 15/16 add?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
WVU is being used as a pawn.

The SEC wants Missouri. But to this point, Missouri has not been willing to make the move (they actually care about academics and want to end up in the Big Ten when everything shakes out). By 'leaking' this information, the SEC is hoping to scare Missouri into accepting the SEC offer (because they don't want to be left out if Tex/Okl move to the Pac16 and the Big 12 implodes).

We'll see who blinks first. High stakes poker time.

Reaction Score
Only other thing I could see going on here is this is a facade to convince the voting block in the SEC preventing FSU from getting an invite to back off and allow them in. Bite me, only new states, FSU is too much of a national brand to pass up. I've read currently it's UF, SC, UGA, and KY that are blocking FSU. For the life of me, I cannot see why the SEC does not want a program as big and as much of a tv draw as FSU.

Reaction Score
Rumboy--Cut out the crap with the deceptive discussion headlines. Even if everything in the thread is true the lead is still disingenuous. There's enough nonsense flying around without you posting a lead that you know to be false.

Reaction Score
Oliver Luck will wait all of 5 seconds to accept if offered. It makes a lot of sense for WVU .Gives them stability in the most powerful football conference. The SEC gets access tothe DC television market along with a traditional Eastern football power.

Reaction Score
WVU makes a lot of sense for the SEC. It balances the divisions. VTech would be a better choice, but think they will stick with the ACC.

Reaction Score
IF it is WVU instead of Missouri then it's looking like a KU, KSU, ISU, Missouri to the BE. If it is Missouri them it looks like KU, KSU, ISU to the BE. This assumes, of course, that the SEC stops at 14 and that there are no teams taken from the ACC and that the Big 12 will implode. The dominos may all start to fall now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oliver Luck will wait all of 5 seconds to accept if offered. It makes a lot of sense for WVU .Gives them stability in the most powerful football conference. The SEC gets access tothe DC television market along with a traditional Eastern football power.

The ACC schools have held tight. I would like to see similar loyalty from the Big East schools. Unlikely, but possible.

Reaction Score
IF it is WVU instead of Missouri then it's looking like a KU, KSU, ISU, Missouri to the BE. If it is Missouri them it looks like KU, KSU, ISU to the BE. This assumes, of course, that the SEC stops at 14 and that there are no teams taken from the ACC and that the Big 12 will implode. The dominos may all start to fall now.

why ISU?

Reaction Score
Don't assume Iowa State. I don't know that they bring as much as a number of non-BCS candidates do.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The irony is that Missouri may be electing to join the Big East over the SEC....which will then open up the SEC for WVU.

If WVU does take the SEC offer, they will live to regret the decision. They will become the BCU:ACC of the SEC. They will end up making more money, but their long term on-field success will suffer significantly. Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I might take Baylor over Iowa State. Either way, WVU leaving is a huge blow to the conference if it happens.

And I still cannot fathom the SEC passing over FSU and VT, makes absolutely no sense to me.

Reaction Score
The irony is that Missouri may be electing to join the Big East over the SEC....which will then open up the SEC for WVU.

If WVU does take the SEC offer, they will live to regret the decision. They will become the BCU:ACC of the SEC. They will end up making more money, but their long term on-field success will suffer significantly. Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it.

Would MU choose a WVU-less BE over the SEC? Not sure about that.

Reaction Score
VT can't go anywhere without UVA--Commonwealth politics. ISU to BE is based on prior informal discussions between ISU and BE but this occurred before Missouri "became available." The honorable thing to do would be to put them back in if Missouri is not available again but I'm not naive, of course and BL is right that there are better (theoretical) candidates than ISU. I agree that WVU to SEC is a probable long term mistake but certainly looks good from a $$ perspective in the short term. The only thing certain is that there will be a surprise or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom