WVU board saying Rutgers and Louisville to the Big 12 deal going down | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WVU board saying Rutgers and Louisville to the Big 12 deal going down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A twitter search last night revealed no evidence that this is happening, just a few random people asking questions as to whether it could happen, but providing no backup, no "sources say", or anything to that effect.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
For those of you who follow message board rumor- mongering, a supposed KU insider who frequents the Louisville site wrote that he heard this same rumor over the weekend.

The normal realignment bottom feeders, Frankthetank and Greg Swaim think it will happen. The Thamels, McMurphys, Blevins, (yes even Chip"Deloss" Brown) et al are silent.
I need to invent some sources and become a message board insider. That would be a fine, fine thing.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I need to invent some sources and become a message board insider. That would be a fine, fine thing.

I can PM you the info I get from my neighbor's dog Sam if it makes you feel better.

Reaction Score
Take it for what it's worth, but there's some smoke out there. Same on twitter.

If true, this will bring some finality to expansion, for better or worse.
Only reason Rutgers is going to the Big 12 is because they know UCONN will get the other invite to the ACC or Big 10 before they do. Nothing wrong though with wanting a chair when the music stops.

Reaction Score
Only reason Rutgers is going to the Big 12 is because they know UCONN will get the other invite to the ACC or Big 10 before they do. Nothing wrong though with wanting a chair when the music stops.
Wisest decision for any conference would be to take Rutgers and UConn as a package to cover the northeast. Also would give us an instant rival in any conference. At the present, I don't know how UConn would get into the B1G since they have a rule to only take in schools from states bordering one of their members' states.

Reaction Score
For those of you who follow message board rumor- mongering, a supposed KU insider who frequents the Louisville site wrote that he heard this same rumor over the weekend.

The normal realignment bottom feeders, Frankthetank and Greg Swaim think it will happen. The Thamels, McMurphys, Blevins, (yes even Chip"Deloss" Brown) et al are silent.

I can't tell if this post is serious or not.

But I read the rumor here and if I go over to the Louisville board, then does that mean that I can confirm that I saw the rumor appear from two different sources?

Reaction Score
I can't tell if this post is serious or not.

But I read the rumor here and if I go over to the Louisville board, then does that mean that I can confirm that I saw the rumor appear from two different sources?

Yes. That seems to be exactly how this works.

It amazes me how some people here are quick to badmouth real journalists, but then feel free to link to or describe the ravings of anyone, as if anything that anybody says bears repeating.

Reaction Score
I scoff at anyone who says that the B12 is comparable to the ACC in basketball after the addition of Pitt and Cuse. It's not even close. The ACC will be the best basketball conference hands down.

Reaction Score
I scoff at anyone who says that the B12 is comparable to the ACC in basketball after the addition of Pitt and Cuse. It's not even close. The ACC will be the best basketball conference hands down.
Unfortunately, computers scoff at you. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Times do change. Right now, at the very least, more vibrant local economies to support their athletic departments better.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddk45edeml/1-san-antonio-tx-2/

Also, from top to bottom, the Big 12 is stronger right now. BC actually won 2 ACC games recently.

When ACC gets Cuse and Pitt, they will be the creme-de-la-creme. Yes, some ACC teams are bad, real bad. But the B12 doesn't have the top talent that the ACC does either.

Economies? In the long run, I'm going to put my money on the coastal cities doing just fine. Right now, because energy costs are ridiculously out of proportion, there has been a boom in the energy sector which is based mostly in the Midwest. Trust me...that is a new bubble just waiting to happen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC is weak three through 12. With Pitt and SU, they'll be weak four through 14.

Syracuse will be Syracuse. Still a bit of a postseason paper tiger - not sure when they last made the Elite Eight, but I am sure it has been a long time. The high water mark there is that they slot into that second tier under Duke/UNC that Maryland used to aspire to - top 20 most years, top 10 frequently. (Assuming Hopkins doesn't sink the ship.)

Pitt will be a middling team in the ACC. Looking at the talent they've been bringing in, I think they've crested.

Reaction Score
When ACC gets Cuse and Pitt, they will be the creme-de-la-creme. Yes, some ACC teams are bad, real bad. But the B12 doesn't have the top talent that the ACC does either.

Economies? In the long run, I'm going to put my money on the coastal cities doing just fine. Right now, because energy costs are ridiculously out of proportion, there has been a boom in the energy sector which is based mostly in the Midwest. Trust me...that is a new bubble just waiting to happen.
You do realize Pitt never made a Final Four, right? And Syracuse only has one modern-era championship? And it depends on which coastal cities. The future of this country is based on natural resources. Why would anyone want to go into a weak football conference just for basketball? More revenue (football being the biggest revenue producer) = hire better coaches. As mentoned before, the ACC might easily end up being poached by the SEC and B1G, at least. Why go to a conference that is easily poachable? Calipari said there'll be four power conferences in the future. The SEC, Pac-12, B1G...wonder who the fourth conference would be.

Reaction Score
The ACC is weak three through 12. With Pitt and SU, they'll be weak four through 14.
Didn't FSU just maul UNC? Supposedly the best program in the ACC?

Reaction Score
Didn't FSU just maul UNC? Supposedly the best program in the ACC?

Yeah, and Rutgers beat Florida...so is Florida ? Is Rutgers a national-championship caliber team?

Pitt and Cuse have the capability of being top teams year in and year out. Regardless of whether or not Pitt hasn't made a final four or that Cuse only has one championship...they're still good teams. Also, I know a ton of schools that wish they could say they have one championship, haha!

And how many championships do Big 12 teams have in the modern era? There's only 1 team. Kansas. ACC has Duke, UNC, Maryland, and NC State. And when they add Cuse, that's another team.

If and only if UConn were to join the Big 12 would I start considering the two conferences on the same level.

As far as the economy being based on natural resources, when has it never been based on resources? When have any economies not been based on natural resources. There is a reason North Korea is poor as . It's because they have none! The major commerce areas will continue to be just that.

Reaction Score
i like it when the acc and north korea are in the same convo. they belong together.

Hey, I still hate the ACC. But the B12 is just not very good at basketball. That's all I'm saying.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
i like it when the acc and north korea are in the same convo. they belong together.

I bet North Korea could fill the seats for their conference championship!;)

article-2079691-0F4AAE6D00000578-984_964x639.jpg

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I bet North Korea could fill the seats for their conference championship!;)

article-2079691-0F4AAE6D00000578-984_964x639.jpg

Of course if they're not in their seats before kickoff, they're detained and shipped off to work camps. Other than that...

Reaction Score
If and only if UConn were to join the Big 12 would I start considering the two conferences on the same level.
Duh. Along with Louisville. And possibly Cincinnati. Sagarin ratings still say the Big 12 is better than the ACC overall now, whether you and I like it or not. Keep beating that ACC drum. Cannot understand the ACC love when it is not close to being the most profitable option for our athletic department. Being focused on basketball will not get us anywhere. Why? Because it doesn't bring in the most revenue. Most revenue = hire best coaches in all sports. Golly gee willigers. Heck, ACC schools would leave for the SEC or the B1G in a heartbeat and some of you want to go to the ACC?

The US used to be a heavily manufacturing based economy. I am sorry you didn't know that.

Reaction Score
Duh. Along with Louisville. And possibly Cincinnati. Sagarin ratings still say the Big 12 is better than the ACC overall now, whether you and I like it or not. Keep beating that ACC drum. Cannot understand the ACC love when it is not close to being the most profitable option for our athletic department. Being focused on basketball will not get us anywhere. Why? Because it doesn't bring in the most revenue. Most revenue = hire best coaches in all sports. Golly gee willigers. Heck, ACC schools would leave for the SEC or the B1G in a heartbeat and some of you want to go to the ACC?

The US used to be a heavily manufacturing based economy. I am sorry you didn't know that.

Manufacturing because we had natural resources to manufacture...i.e. iron, coal, etc. Ever play the game Civilization? ;)

As far as revenue...maybe the B12 is pulling it in now, but what if Texas bolts? Regardless, once the 4 super conferences of 16 are settled, I really think the difference in revenue will be negligible. UConn will be able to hire mostly any basketball coach it wants. As far as football...I doubt even if we moved to the B12 that we'd get a first crack at top coaches.

As far as B12 being hire in the Sagarin...ok. So basically, the B12 is a conference of mediocrity. They're all decent, but none of them are great (at least this year.) I'd rather be in a league that has perennial top 5 teams much like the Big East does today. You'll get that with the ACC. Duke and North Carolina will almost always be there because they get the best talent. The reason why there are many good Big East schools is because top players want to play against top competition. Let me say, you're not going to get a New York kid like Kemba excited by playing the general mediocrity where every team has a few good players. No...Kemba wanted to go against the top talent and prove that he had game...and so he came to Connecticut and then became a 1st round draft pick and forever immortalized as one of UConn's greatest players for running the gauntlet against some of the best teams in the country (which some happened to be in the Big East). Therefore, I don't mind playing against a BC as long as we could play Duke and UNC every year. The idea of playing Kansas and Texas every year does not make me excited at all.

And being focused on basketball is what we should do. The fact is, our football program is still light years behind other programs. Yes, we've been able to get to a BCS game, but let's be honest. In a world of 4 super conferences, we're hardly going to crack the top without a serious change in culture (and I really don't think moving to one conference over the other will change that. Need an example...see Colorado, or Iowa State, or Ole Miss, etc. etc. etc.) UConn should be committed to football, but they should be making any decision with at least 50% of the input coming from the basketball program. Without that program, UConn could possibly fade from public limelight.

I want our football program to succeed, but I also know that right now, we're a long long long way from being a household name in college football.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Give it up Butchy and just stfu.

You're the same guy who had that ridiculous signature with that MWC-Cusa-BE hybrid that you prefered to the ACC.

Look nobody likes the ACC, in fact the majority of us including me hate it, but if you can't see how its the most realistic and best long term place for our athletic program and university you're just plain ignorant.

Reaction Score
Give it up Butchy and just stfu.

You're the same guy who had that ridiculous signature with that MWC-Cusa-BE hybrid that you prefered to the ACC.

Look nobody likes the ACC, in fact the majority of us including me hate it, but if you can't see how its the most realistic and best long term place for our athletic program and university you're just plain ignorant.
The new Big East still ranks higher than the ACC in football. Perhaps you should just stfu.

Reaction Score
Forgot to say, if you think the ACC will not be raided, you should really just stfu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom