Wtf is Ollie's half court offense philosophy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wtf is Ollie's half court offense philosophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie has to adjust his offense to the college game. He's running an NBA offense with so-so high major D1 talent. When we aren't aimlessly passing the ball around the perimeter we run a top of high pick-n-roll and a ton of floppy stuff. We don't have the talent level to rely heavily on that stuff.

Watch how often a guard comes off a pindown, catches it on the wing and doesn't even look to attack - then everyone else stands around confused because said guard is supposed to make a play.

Our PnR is completely useless. Gibbs isn't a PG at all, let alone a PnR one. Plus we don't have a pick-and-pop big man, enough shooters to space the floor or a roll man who can finish. I'm trying to remember how many times we've run a clean PnR and hit the roll man for a bucket inside - I'm damn near drawing a blank.

Our offense looked good quite often in the 2014 tourney, with Shabazz and Boatright making plays, Daniels and Giffey able to spread the floor. Then when things weren't clicking we had Bazz to bail us out. We have none of that this season.

Reaction Score
Whatever the offense is supposed to be, there is a combination of the team can't run it, won't run it, or it sucks. Last year I thought KO got stuck midway through the year when the team wasn't performing, he could either hope that the team would start executing better with more experience in the system, or try to switch to a new offense. he choose the former. This year is like he learned nothing from last year, and of those three things I'm leaning towards it being a bad offense. There are plenty of college teams that don't have NBA talent, and don't have guards that break down defenses that still manage to get good shots. KO needs to look at those teams. Its time to focus more on movement off the ball and passing.

Reaction Score
So develop an offense that emphasizes off ball movement and get shooters open looks?
Maybe perhaps like the offense our head coach ran for 4 years in college but can't seem to remember?

Reaction Score
We have hardly anybody that can get their own shot. Then on top of that, our offensive execution is HORRIBLE. They dont set picks right.

Reaction Score
When was the last time we lost a game by 30 points?

Reaction Score
Ollie has to adjust his offense to the college game. He's running an NBA offense with so-so high major D1 talent. When we aren't aimlessly passing the ball around the perimeter we run a top of high pick-n-roll and a ton of floppy stuff. We don't have the talent level to rely heavily on that stuff.

Watch how often a guard comes off a pindown, catches it on the wing and doesn't even look to attack - then everyone else stands around confused because said guard is supposed to make a play.

Our PnR is completely useless. Gibbs isn't a PG at all, let alone a PnR one. Plus we don't have a pick-and-pop big man, enough shooters to space the floor or a roll man who can finish. I'm trying to remember how many times we've run a clean PnR and hit the roll man for a bucket inside - I'm damn near drawing a blank.

Our offense looked good quite often in the 2014 tourney, with Shabazz and Boatright making plays, Daniels and Giffey able to spread the floor. Then when things weren't clicking we had Bazz to bail us out. We have none of that this season.
That's what's so scary, good coaches are supposed to adapt to the talent they have. If you don't have the right guys to run your stuff, you run other stuff. He is getting his butt kicked every time he goes up against a good coach in our league. I love Ollie and want him to succeed but if next year looks like the last two he is in trouble.

Reaction Score
That's what's so scary, good coaches are supposed to adapt to the talent they have. If you don't have the right guys to run your stuff, you run other stuff. He is getting his butt kicked every time he goes up against a good coach in our league. I love Ollie and want him to succeed but if next year looks like the last two he is in trouble.
You're right. That's what good coaches do.

Reaction Score
god Gibbs is such DogShlt once he dribbles even once.

Reaction Score
My gf and I call there offense the willy nilly....dribble around for 33 seconds and whoever has it last toss it up.

The funniest thing about that is that there's a 30 second shot clock now.

And yet it still takes us 33 seconds to get a shot off we get so many dam* shot clock violations.

Reaction Score
They are literally with them now and uconn can't do anything. Don't even look frustrated.

Reaction Score
What was the last team that Calhoun coached that had zero NBA talent on it? Ollie can't turn water into wine , the idea he's "done a horrendous job" is a bit hyperbolic... This team is what it is (bubble team) and their talent was overrated by many from the jump (including myself).

Reaction Score

I agree completely. In both football and basketball it's alarming how stubborn many coaches are and how poor they are at in-game adjustments. With this team, I don't know what to do besides giving Miller the ball on the block more. When your guards are all streaky shooters, can't run PnR and can't consistently beat someone off the dribble then you're going to be in trouble.

To be fair too, JC was really stubborn himself. We had A TON of ugly halfcourt offensive stretches during his tenure. We were dragged into plenty of slow-it-down games that had fans pulling our hair out watching our offensive execution. He was better than Ollie at exploiting mismatches, etc but Ollie is still a really young coach and will have to improve.

Reaction Score
What was the last team that Calhoun coached that had zero NBA talent on it? Ollie can't turn water into wine , the idea he's "done a horrendous job" is a bit hyperbolic... This team is what it is (bubble team) and their talent was overrated by many from the jump (including myself).

Calhoun was coaching against Big East teams though. Ollie's track record in regular season's so far is alarming at best.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Maybe perhaps like the offense our head coach ran for 4 years in college but can't seem to remember?

Actually, Calhoun's teams didn't run great offensive sets. But they did know how to set picks and often had point guards who knew who had to touch the ball. But this coaching group seems clueless. I'd love for Ollie to succeed, but I want more for UConn to succeed. I'm not a Johnny Come Lately to my view of KOs coaching. Kevin's teams have generally played sporadic on offense. He caught lightning in a bottle when a not superior team was fortunate to win game 1 of the NCAAs and rode a great guard's play to the NC. He did have them playing excellent D. But if Brimah doesn't save that first game, KO would have been looked at very differently over the last few years. He seems to be bringing a very good class. This team has no chemistry or leadership. Next year has to bring better things in this mediocre league.

Reaction Score
what is Ollie's half court offense philosophy?

I asked that last year.

Reaction Score
I'm responding purely to the headline question asked and not reading anything else. That being said, how in the duck are you just asking this now? Ollie's half court philosophy is thinner than Trump on any of his campaign platform.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Most of the teams we play don't have NBA talent either, he is not getting the best.out of these kids.

Reaction Score
I'm responding purely to the headline question asked and not reading anything else. That being said, how in the duck are you just asking this now? Ollie's half court philosophy is thinner than Trump on any of his campaign platform.

At least Trump constantly presents as a forceful leader. KO needs to eat more Wheaties, because he is getting KOed. Wheaties for the entire team may be beneficial.

Reaction Score
You would think there would be some sort of offense when 3 of the coaches are former point guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom