Wrong team for KLS? | The Boneyard

Wrong team for KLS?

Reaction Score
Having watched several Sky games it looks to me this team is a bad fit for KLS. They already have vets with her skills, including multiple 3 point threats. Of course until she gets more playing time we can make a true evaluation. I also think Gabby is being misused. I did notice sister Karlie got 18 minutes on a seven day contract in latest Sparks win after playing well for Great Britain.

Reaction Score
Having watched several Sky games it looks to me this team is a bad fit for KLS. They already have vets with her skills, including multiple 3 point threats. Of course until she gets more playing time we can make a true evaluation. I also think Gabby is being misused. I did notice sister Karlie got 18 minutes on a seven day contract in latest Sparks win after playing well for Great Britain.

Until Lou is healthy enough to get playing time, it's kind of difficult to evaluate her. You can never have too many good 3-pt shooters, and Lou's skill set goes beyond that. I am sure Chicago felt the same way, or they would not have drafted her.

Reaction Score
Until Lou is healthy enough to get playing time, it's kind of difficult to evaluate her. You can never have too many good 3-pt shooters, and Lou's skill set goes beyond that. I am sure Chicago felt the same way, or they would not have drafted her.
I agree. It’s more the make up of the team that makes me wonder.

Reaction Score
Sooooo hard to make a call on this for the following thoughts (reasons???):
a. She is a Rookie.
b. She had a broken wrist early in the season, just recently returned, and is still wearing a brace on her right wrist when she plays.
c. Sky starts Two "Centers"... thus taking away a spot for a Forward or Guard
d. There are Veterans playing at the 2 remaining spots we would expect Lou to play (SG or Wing/SF).

Until she get's her "break" to get in some regular play, we'll never know how things will turn out for Lou with the Sky. The Coach/GM has stated that he likes her skill set and versatility in how he can use her... he seems to be searching for that time. AND... I am reminded of the time a "great to be" NY Yankee sat the bench...until he got his break. There are various stories as to why Wally Pipp, the Yankees regular 1st baseman at the time, couldn't, or didn't, play on June 2nd 1925, but what ever the reason, a young 1st baseman named Lou Gehrig went in to Pipp's spot and remained there for the next 2130 games....eventually landing in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame. When will Lou's moment come?? No one knows, but I hope it's "sooner than later" and she seizes the moment when it does!!! :):)

Reaction Score
I noticed Gabby who was a post in college is being used as a guard in the pros and Lou who was a guard in college is being used as a back up 4 in the pros, maybe the coach should switch the 2 players around.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
With the exception of the Louisville game and draft night/Larry Bird, it has been a rough stretch for Lou since she got hurt on Senior Day.

This WNBA season is kind of a lost cause for her but hopefully she has a good season in France and comes back ready and raring to go.

Under the circumstances, I agree it is too early to tell. And, she just turned 22.

Although Wade has the Sky playing well which speaks to his ability to coach, I understand that he thinks of her as a four and that is where she is playing in the brief minutes she has played. Maybe that is due in part to the depth elsewhere. However, having watched her closely for four years, and assuming that is true, that makes no sense to me at all. She was not a four at the college level, much less the pros.

I suspect at some point she will end up with the Sparks, whether or not she succeeds in Chicago.

Last edited:

Jim

Reaction Score
Karlie got 18 minutes because the Sparks roster is down to 8 players. Williams is suspended by the league and Parker, Beard, and Jones are all injured. It is unfortunate for her that KLS is/was injured on an otherwise healthy team.

Reaction Score
I said this when they drafted her. I didn’t care for her to go high in the draft, I was hoping she and Napheesa ended up in the right situations and not necessarily high picks. Chicago is just all over the place. I don’t think any UConn players are playing to their potential on that team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To piggy back on what many of you have already said, Lou (unlike Collier) has to wait her turn. Getting hurt did not help. That injury cost her valuable games and playing time that she will never get back. Having a new coach does not help either.

Napheesa Collier (I love her first name) was lucky enough to go to a team that has an established coach, a winning culture, and 4 starters (Maya Moore, Rebekkah Brunson, Seimone Augustus, Karima Christmas-Kelly) that were not available to begin the season, which created a "perfect storm" for her to begin the season as a starter, stay in the line up, and learn as she went along. Collier is averaging 35+ mpg.

Her 28 point performance in her first regular season game against the Chicago Sky gave her and her coaches confidence and affirmation that she could play at that level, and could be counted on to make significant contributions to the team this year.

Lou will get her opportunity in the coming weeks and years. Remember that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis had the same thing happen to her her first two seasons under then head coach Jenny Boucek. KML couldn't get off the bench. Things have since opened up for her. Earlier this year she was starting. She's getting her minutes now. Lou is not going anywhere. Gabby started 30 games her rookie season under departed coach/GM Amber Stocks. She averaged 11.4 pts /6.7 rpg.

All American Brianna Turner can't get off the bench in Phoenix. Rookies don't always come in right away and make a BIG splash. Look at the year Jordin Canada is having her 2nd year subbing in for an injured Sue Bird in Seattle. She didn't raise any eyebrows her rookie year. :eek:

Our All-Star Kia Nurse, had to wait until her sophomore year for things to open up and blossom for her. Look at her now. Kia is taking FULL advantage of the opportunity afforded to her. She's become a starter, and is either the leading scorer, or among the top 2-3. each game. She was voted a starter this year. That fact along speaks for it self.

Don't worry about Lou, she'll become a valuable and respected member of the Sky in the years to come. All things in time. Right now, lets pray for her to get and stay healthy, and make the necessary adjustments to play and be productive at this level. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Samuelson played only 1.54 but sank as beautiful a three as you can. She looks big size wise on court. Has she put on muscle?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby played power forward last year. She's the backup point guard this year. Who else has ever played that combination of positions?

Reaction Score
I had same feeling but I suppose rookies need to earn respect. From body language today it looked like they came out of timeout with a play designed to go to Samuelson. If so, it worked.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To piggy back on what many of you have already said, Lou (unlike Collier) has to wait her turn. Getting hurt did not help. That injury cost her valuable games and playing time that she will never get back. Having a new coach does not help either.

Napheesa Collier (I love her first name) was lucky enough to go to a team that has an established coach, and 4 starters (Maya Moore, Rebekkah Brunson, Seimone Augustus, Karima Christmas-Kelly) that were not available to begin the season, which created a "perfect storm" for her to begin the season as a starter, stay in the line up, and learn as she went along. Collier is averaging 35+ mpg.

Her 28 point performance in her first regular season game against the Chicago Sky gave her and her coaches confidence and affirmation that she could play at that level, and could be counted on to make significant contributions to the team this year.

Lou will get her opportunity in the coming weeks and years. Remember that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis had the thing happen to her her first two seasons under then head coach Jenny Boucek. KML couldn't get off the bench. Things opened up for her once Boucek left. Earlier this year she was starting. She's getting her minutes now. Lou is not going anywhere. Gabby started 30 games her rookie season under departed coach/GM Amber Stocks. She averaged 11.4 pts /6.7 rpg.

All American Brianna Turner can't get off the bench in Phoenix. Rookies don't always come in right away and make a BIG splash. Look at the year Jordin Canada is having her 2nd year subbing in for an injured Sue Bird in Seattle. She didn't raise any eyebrows her rookie year. :eek:

Our All-Star Kia Nurse, had to wait until her sophomore year for things to open up and blossom for her. Look at her now. Kia is taking FULL advantage of the opportunity afforded to her. She's become a starter, and is either the leading scorer, or among the top 2-3. each game. She was voted a starter this year. That fact along speaks for it self.

Don't worry about Lou, she'll become a valuable and respected member of the Sky in the years to come. All things in time. She'll be fine. Right now, lets pray for her to get and stay healthy, and make the necessary adjustments to play and be productive at this level. :cool:
KML's minutes increased barely at all with the coaching change in Seattle. Under Boucek (2015-17) she averaged 12.3, 12.4 and 11.1 minutes, and under Hughes she's averaged 13.4 and 14.6. This year's average surely wouldn't be as high if not for the injuries.

Brianna Turner just played 13 minutes in the second half of Phoenix's win at Dallas yesterday, including the entire 4th quarter.

Reaction Score
Karlie got 18 minutes because the Sparks roster is down to 8 players. Williams is suspended by the league and Parker, Beard, and Jones are all injured. It is unfortunate for her that KLS is/was injured on an otherwise healthy team.
While it is true that LA is short of players, Mabrey only logged 4 minutes to Karlies 18. So it is not true that she played because there were no other options left.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
While it is true that LA is short of players, Mabrey only logged 4 minutes to Karlies 18. So it is not true that she played because there were no other options left.

There was a brief discussion on the WNBA thread. LA is certainly scant on resources. In Thursdays's game, Mabrey played 25+ minutes, including all of crunch time, and had 12 points, while Karlie had a cameo appearance. One or two games are not a pattern. Let's see what Coach Fisher does during the rest of the Spark's East-Coast swing in regards to the Karlie-Mabrey-Wiese rotation.

As for KLS, I'd rely on folks who regularly watch the Sky games (Orangutan) for trends, but I would say most of the Class of 2019 are having not unexpected ups and downs: they've played a lot of hoops this year. I thought Napheesa and Jess Shepard ended up in a great situation in Minnesota (and still curse Shepard's luck).

In any case, professional experience is being gained for those who made the rosters and even more will accrued in their overseas gigs. Will really pay attention to their situations next season.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Lou is not a 4. Lou is a 3 or a 2.

I agree, and to add on to that. Chicago's starters at 2 and 3 are Quigley and DeShields, both all-stars. That leaves Lou is competing for bench minutes with Copper and Gabby.

James Wade got a clear directive when he was hired that Chicago needed to make the playoffs. With that in mind, he's gone to the more experienced known quantities.

Also, what do we say about freshman? The easiest way to earn playing time is with defense, right? That's not Lou's strength but it is Gabby's strength and Copper's strength.

Now, Copper's rookie deal expires after this season. She is due for a raise and Chicago may not be able to keep her. Quigley's deal is also up after this year. She likely re-signs with the hometown team but she'll turn 34 next season. It's reasonable to ask how much longer she can keep going year round. So going forward Lou could have a clearer path to playing time.

I think Lou should fit Wade's offensive style very well, so I don' t know about Chicago being the wrong team for her. It's just a very unfriendly depth chart for a rookie who needs some minutes to get acclimated. And of course, the injury didn't help.

Reaction Score
You sure about that?

Positive, that’s one game. I just checked her stats for the season she’s averaging 9.3points and 5.7 rebounds and last year was about the same and the year before that was her best year in the W averaging 14.5 and right below 6 boards a game. So yea, I’m sure. Stef can do a lot of better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom