Wrong Guy? | The Boneyard

Wrong Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Check out game tape Brewster vs St. Thomas. Jalen looks good but will need half a season to be good.
Enoch looks like a mellow Facey. Ryan FUNK, no offers Div. 1, another Niels Giffey. We got the wrong guy.
6'7" hits the three from all over, and can take it to the rim. And he did this against a loaded Brewster squad.
Hope Ollie was watching this kid, Sleeper?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Check out game tape Brewster vs St. Thomas. Jalen looks good but will need half a season to be good.
Enoch looks like a mellow Facey. Ryan FUNK, no offers Div. 1, another Niels Giffey. We got the wrong guy.
6'7" hits the three from all over, and can take it to the rim. And he did this against a loaded Brewster squad.
is he the white kid that plays on STM?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We got the wrong guy?

If you're content with T-Sam being the program's starting PG for the foreseeable future, then maybe. Even his biggest defenders (myself included) realize that his ceiling is a backup bringing energy and defense off the bench.

Reaction Score
The irony of this post is that if we brought the kid in, and he was another Niels Giffey, posters like you would spend years destroying him on this board.

Reaction Score
The irony of this post is that if we brought the kid in, and he was another Niels Giffey, posters like you would spend years destroying him on this board.
I don't know. Giffey was glorified for some reason for 3 okay years.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Giffey got a pass for some reason for 3 okay years.
I remember many, many complaints about him. Maybe not as many as are being heaped upon some players this year, but we were more successful in each of Niels' first three years than we are this year, and so much complaining on this board is just driven by wins and losses.

Reaction Score
I remember many, many complaints about him. Maybe not as many as are being heaped upon some players this year, but we were more successful in each of Niels' first three years than we are this year, and so much complaining on this board is just driven by wins and losses.
I seem to remember Giffey being the golden child (compared to others) despite his offensive tentativeness. He was a solid if unspectacular defender, got to some loose balls, but didn't contribute much on offense. Yet the board venerated him.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If we have space, can't get anyone and can get a kid who can shoot it, I'm in.
Two names: Mike LeBlanc and Scottie Harrelson. How'd that work out? Two guys who came in with reputations as three point shooters and little else. They found that teams don't leave you open at the high D1 level and if your open shots also don't fall, you bring nothing to the table. If this is the direction we should go as a program, we're in BIG trouble.

Reaction Score
Two names: Mike LeBlanc and Scottie Harrelson. How'd that work out? Two guys who came in with reputations as three point shooters and little else. They found that teams don't leave you open at the high D1 level and if your open shots also don't fall, you bring nothing to the table. If this is the direction we should go as a program, we're in BIG trouble.

You know what they could both shoot it but both wanted more playing time and left abruptly. If they stayed both would have been pieces of the puzzle by their Jr or Sr years no doubt. Glad you brought them up thanks! Although they were on teams who could afford to have "pieces" if they had stayed. Next year does need more than pieces because they aren't strong enough so in that case you do have a point.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember Giffey being the golden child (compared to others) despite his offensive tentativeness. He was a solid if unspectacular defender, got to some loose balls, but didn't contribute much on offense. Yet the board venerated him.
I definitely agree that it wasn't nearly as bad for Niels as it's been for some players this season. Maybe because Niels didn't try to do much his first 3 years, so he didn't have the spectacularly bad plays that some of our guys have pulled out this year in an attempt to do something positive.

It's just beyond hilarious to me when dipsh*its say things like "bring in this guy, he could be another Niels Giffey". Here are Niels stats from his junior year. 21 minutes per game, 4.8 points, 42% from the field, 29% from 3, 3.6 rebounds, .7 A/T ratio. They are strikingly similar to TSam's stats from his sophomore year, and pnow doesn't think TSam knows how to play basketball at all.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
This kid has no offers from any D1 school and is not listed on any major recruiting sites.

He isn't even on make NERR's 2015 Connecticut Top 15. For perspective, the #3 player on that list (Andrew Robinson of Putnam Science Academy) is a Qunnipiac commit. Old Dominion, Rider, Manhattan and Fairfield have commits from the kids on that Top 15 list. This kid didn't even make the cut for that.

I trust Division I basketball coaches and journalists with the experience and know-how of Adam Finkelstein to give scouting reports more than forum posters. We did not get "the wrong guy". Sorry 'bout it.

Reaction Score
I actually was watching the game and was wondering where that kid was going to. Figured it was a P5 school. Was shocked to see he had no D1 offers. Not saying that KO should go out and offer him, but he definitely looked good enough to play D1 basketball

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Imagine if everyone only saw Terrence Samuel play in one game: Sweet 16 vs. Iowa State - imagine the raves he would have gotten if that was the only time we saw him.

There's a reason he's ranked so low. Bad shooters and even bad players have good nights every now and then.

Reaction Score
You're not actually criticizing recruiting decisions off of a single game are you? Are you?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
If all recruiting decisions were based off of one game, Daniel Hamilton would be a gunner who only thought of himself. That couldn't be further from the truth.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I mean, when you have a shot at the 65th best player in New England, you go for it.
So, St. Thomas is in a championship game against a team literally of McDonald's All American types. In this the most important game of their lives to date, this kid's team mates are feeding him the ball without any hesitation. In fact, they are looking for him. Does this portend to you that this kid can not shoot? They are hoping he will get lucky for this one game.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I definitely agree that it wasn't nearly as bad for Niels as it's been for some players this season. Maybe because Niels didn't try to do much his first 3 years, so he didn't have the spectacularly bad plays that some of our guys have pulled out this year in an attempt to do something positive.

It's just beyond hilarious to me when dipsh*its say things like "bring in this guy, he could be another Niels Giffey". Here are Niels stats from his junior year. 21 minutes per game, 4.8 points, 42% from the field, 29% from 3, 3.6 rebounds, .7 A/T ratio. They are strikingly similar to TSam's stats from his sophomore year, and pnow doesn't think TSam knows how to play basketball at all.

Niels Giffey was invited to two different NBA summer leagues, precisely because he could hit an open three, defend three positions at some level of competence and he did not make dumb mistakes. Giffey was actually the quintesential glue guy.

Reaction Score
Niels Giffey was invited to two different NBA summer leagues, precisely because he could hit an open three, defend three positions at some level of competence and he did not make dumb mistakes. Giffey was actually the quintesential glue guy.

Yes, because of what he did as a Senior. We're talking about his first 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom