Wrong Guy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wrong Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Craig Forth had one incredible game as a high school junior and it got him a Syracuse offer.

He took that offer and with a lot of hard work and four years of Jim Boeheim's best instruction, he eventually turned into a pretty good math teacher.

Reaction Score
Two names: Mike LeBlanc and Scottie Harrelson. How'd that work out? Two guys who came in with reputations as three point shooters and little else. They found that teams don't leave you open at the high D1 level and if your open shots also don't fall, you bring nothing to the table. If this is the direction we should go as a program, we're in BIG trouble.

My first semester, freshman year I had an Honors English class with Mike LeBlanc in the Honors house. He was the only one I could talk to in that class, probably because we were the dumbest two in it.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Reading threads like this then reading threads bashing coaching decisions reaffirms my thought that many people who post on this board have no idea what they are watching, other than an orange ball is suppose to go into a rim thats 10 feet off the ground.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Craig Forth had one incredible game as a high school junior and it got him a Syracuse offer.

He took that offer and with a lot of hard work and four years of Jim Boeheim's best instruction, he eventually turned into a pretty good math teacher.

Hell of a job by the DBO to get him the grades he needed to get there.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
last time we "got the wrong guy" (read wrong Lamb), he turned into a key player in our 2011 national championship run.

as a matter of fact, I remember the board being distraught over that entire class

Lamb, Bazz, NG, TO and somebody else

willie99

Reaction Score
but while on the subject of recruits, can we ever land some 6'11" lumberjack / farmhand that nobody can push around who can rebound and make 10 foot shots? let's try to steal one of those kids from Utah St or New Mexico or something. Or how about some white kid that does nothing but run through screens and make three pointers when you need them?

then again, maybe I should just let the staff that wins championships keep doing what they do best

Sometimes it's perplexing being a UConn fan. Can't win with us, can't win without us either

Reaction Score
last time we "got the wrong guy" (read wrong Lamb), he turned into a key player in our 2011 national championship run.

as a matter of fact, I remember the board being distraught over that entire class

Lamb, Bazz, NG, TO and somebody else
I don't know if you were intentionally leaving Roscoe out, but he was the "star" of that class coming in, and the only reason anyone felt any hope. Some were pretty sure JLamb could be a diamond in the rough. Bazz was a re-classification we thought might help us down the road, and Gif/TO were in no way exciting.

It's sort of like that class where we aimed for a bunch of players (Lawson, Ellington, Durant) and got Sticks, Dyson and a number of others...the players we missed weren't slouches by any means, but things turned out alright for us in the end. Better in the 2011 year, but a Final Four is nothing to scoff at.

willie99

Reaction Score
I don't know if you were intentionally leaving Roscoe out, but he was the "star" of that class coming in, and the only reason anyone felt any hope. Some were pretty sure JLamb could be a diamond in the rough. Bazz was a re-classification we thought might help us down the road, and Gif/TO were in no way exciting.

It's sort of like that class where we aimed for a bunch of players (Lawson, Ellington, Durant) and got Sticks, Dyson and a number of others...the players we missed weren't slouches by any means, but things turned out alright for us in the end. Better in the 2011 year, but a Final Four is nothing to scoff at.

OMG no, I totally forgot about him. I knew I was leaving "one guy" out, I couldn't think of who it was and I'm laughing at myself for forgetting about Roscoe.

that's a pretty darn big omission by me

Reaction Score
OMG no, I totally forgot about him. I knew I was leaving "one guy" out, I couldn't think of who it was and I'm laughing at myself for forgetting about Roscoe.

that's a pretty darn big omission by me
Happens to the best of us.

Reaction Score
So, St. Thomas is in a championship game against a team literally of McDonald's All American types. In this the most important game of their lives to date, this kid's team mates are feeding him the ball without any hesitation. In fact, they are looking for him. Does this portend to you that this kid can not shoot? They are hoping he will get lucky for this one game.
That may be true, but there's a reason he doesn't have any D1 scholarship offers. I don't think its because he is flying under the radar. Comparing his lack of offers to Niels Giffey, who was an international prospect, is a stretch, too.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous thread and we certainly got the "right guy" but I have no problem looking into any kid that can shoot the ball. It's a red flag that he doesn't have any major offers but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't capable of making an impact on the D1 level.

Reaction Score
Whichever guy wants to come to UConn and put in work is the right guy.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
http://verbalcommits.com/players/ryan-funk

Well he's gotten his first D1 offers. But we don't compete with Marist and Niagara for recruits -- come on, even I know that.

Off course you realize that if that if an all time NBA draft were held today against the two above mentioned schools for a
point guard and a big man, the two guys picked would not be from UC0nn.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Off course you realize that if that if an all time NBA draft were held today against the two above mentioned schools for a
point guard and a big men, the two guys picked would not be from UC0nn.

It's clear that you haven't followed either school since Rik Smits or Calvin Murphy played for them.

In 2015, we're kind of a bigger deal than they are.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
It's clear that you haven't followed either school since Rik Smits or Calvin Murphy played for them.

In 2015, we're kind of a bigger deal than they are.
He also got an offer from St. Mary's.
In about three years, he will be one of those guys lighting up the score board in some tourney and people will say,
"How come we never get a shooter like that?"

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Whether or not the kid can play. "the Wrong Guy" just blows out the OP's post.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This kid probably shines Enochs shoes... We got the right guy

Reaction Score
He also got an offer from St. Mary's.
In about three years, he will be one of those guys lighting up the score board in some tourney and people will say,
"How come we never get a shooter like that?"

This thread has to be a troll job. There's literally no other explanation.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Can't shine his shoes. Irregardless. I could care less about this.

Reaction Score

Johnny Flynn had a few great games in the Big East tournament in 09' and got himself a nice NBA contract, I believe he is now smoking cigarettes in a parking lot in Italy while help park cars for some Euro League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom