Wrong Guy? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Wrong Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't shine his shoes. Irregardless. I could care less about this.
I hated every part of that post. Nails on a chalkboard. Good job refudiating his point.

Well done.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
For all those with any remaining shards of interest:

Reaction Score
I seem to remember Giffey being the golden child (compared to others) despite his offensive tentativeness. He was a solid if unspectacular defender, got to some loose balls, but didn't contribute much on offense. Yet the board venerated him.
You must have missed some of the action. The kid did OK by me. Always hustled, always helped on D, rebounded bigger than he was, defended bigger than he was, and when the spirit moved him, shot 3s better than most of the people we've ever had. Was he Ray Allen? nope, not Rip either, or Caron, or Rudy. He was a kid that left UConn with 2 NC rings, and helped get both.

Reaction Score
Two names: Mike LeBlanc and Scottie Harrelson. How'd that work out? Two guys who came in with reputations as three point shooters and little else. They found that teams don't leave you open at the high D1 level and if your open shots also don't fall, you bring nothing to the table. If this is the direction we should go as a program, we're in BIG trouble.
Chad Wise too....remember that guy?

Reaction Score
You must have missed some of the action. The kid did OK by me. Always hustled, always helped on D, rebounded bigger than he was, defended bigger than he was, and when the spirit moved him, shot 3s better than most of the people we've ever had. Was he Ray Allen? nope, not Rip either, or Caron, or Rudy. He was a kid that left UConn with 2 NC rings, and helped get both.
A priceless look was the disbelief on the faces of the huge UK front line when this unassuming undersized German guy seemed to get every rebound and loose ball in that game. /h

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
No doubt it was the game he played against Brewster that got him his scholarship.

Reaction Score
So, context for my comments matter--someone talked about Giff getting crap, and I suggested he was venerated here for 3 underwhelming years. You prove my point.

I love the kid, particularly his senior year he was indispensable. We definitely don't win 2014 without him. Much of what you point to are attributes that he brought to 2014. In 2011 he brought some defense in the title game against an overmatched Butler team, but he played 8 minutes and scored 0 points with 1 rebound against Kentucky and was a member of the trillionaire club against Arizona. That team was Kemba, AO, Jeremy, Shabazz, and Roscoe. Coombs-McDaniels and Chuck played more and scored more than him. He was a nice role player, but he was hardly irreplaceable.

Before 2014, he took only 89 3s, and didn't hit them at a particularly good rate (33.7%), played relatively few minutes, passed up open looks, but hustled despite being overmatched. He was a solid, if unspectacular player who was treated with kid gloves here. We all liked him, but he made lots of mistakes and people pretended he didn't. His PER his first three years was 8.9, 12.2, and 12.7

His senior year, though, he did everything he was praised for. And he deserves all the credit in the world for staying with the team through the transition. My point wasn't to bash him, it was to point out that he earned praise beyond what he did until his senior year, and I don't know why you dredged up my comment to make it seem like I was saying something I wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom