Wowsa: Tennessee taking it to Notre Dame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wowsa: Tennessee taking it to Notre Dame

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone could have ranked them this season. Didn't they understand the extent of their personal losses? Having a good coach only goes so far. You can not make straw into Gold, unless your name is Rumpelstiltskin.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
People will retroactively be less impressed by this when they realize how monumentally screwed ND is this year.
I hear you. Every time the camera scanned the ND bench, I was struck by those 5 walk-ons lined up at the end of the bench, one of whom is now part of the rotation. In addition, I’m reasonably sure that when SB announced her decision to attend ND she didn’t envision she would be playing the center position pretty much the entire game.

Hang in there. This ND team will certainly be well coached, and I will not be surprised if MM gets them back to the Big Dance.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone could have ranked them this season. Didn't they understand the extent of their personal losses? Having a good coach only goes so far. You can not make straw into Gold, unless your name is Rumpelstiltskin.
Most of the folks who do preseason polls are basically lazy. They don’t analyze each team’s roster in detail. It’s more a case that they take all the usual suspects and array them in some order based on their gut feelings.

So in the case of ND, they’ve been a top 10 team for many years with a HOF coach. They lost their entire starting 5 (98% of their scoring). I think ranking them 16th sounds about right.....:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Looking at the LV schedule, they could easily be 9-0 before they head to Stanford where they are likely to come up short. Their next 6 games include 5 cupcakes and a matchup with perennial underachiever TX in Knoxville. Don’t be surprised if the LV’s climb back into the top 25, and that will have LV fans singing RockyTop, at least until the SEC conference schedule begins.

Reaction Score
Tennessee is a brand new team. To my eye, they played with verve and desire, both of which were completely lacking under HW. This team was challenged on the road, went out to a big lead, then- and this is the important part- they refused to buckle. They maintained composure in front of a big ND crowd, and closed it out.

This is a new team in a new era. Even though ND was depleted, it was ND and MM. Tennessee could have collapsed as they did last year, blowing a 24-point lead. But different coach this time.

I'm impressed. Never thought I would root for Tennessee. But just this time.

Reaction Score
I hear you. Every time the camera scanned the ND bench, I was struck by those 5 walk-ons lined up at the end of the bench, one of whom is now part of the rotation. In addition, I’m reasonably sure that when SB announced her decision to attend ND she didn’t envision she would be playing the center position pretty much the entire game.

Hang in there. This ND team will certainly be well coached, and I will not be surprised if MM gets them back to the Big Dance.
Have to reinforce the point that ND and MM have proven ability to implement fixes as the year goes on. Likely an off year but would not underestimate them.

Reaction Score
Sad news for the Lady Vols. Zaay Green out for the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sad news for the Lady Vols. Zaay Green out for the season.

I had not even realized that Green didn’t even play in yesterday’s game until your post. During the game, Andy Landers commented that while TN was loaded at the center, forward and wing spots, there was a real question as to who would play guard and how effective they will be. Right on Q, Horston who was trying to play pg threw the ball away, one of 28 LV turnovers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had not even realized that Green didn’t even play in yesterday’s game until your post. During the game, Andy Landers commented that while TN was loaded at the center, forward and wing spots, there was a real question as to who would play guard and how effective they will be. Right on Q, Horston who was trying to play pg threw the ball away, one of 28 LV turnovers.
I guess the other hint was only 1 player below 6' starting.

Reaction Score
This was a road victory in an arena that seldom sees the home team lose. ND is depleted, 16th might be over rated or an indication that parity in WCBB is a long ways off. I’d ND finishes season as high as 16th it will be because of coaching. Tennessee is young and young could eventually be dangerous, especially with their length and Davis shooting at that level.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago, most people here think Uconn will trash Tennessee in January. Now if Tennessee beats Uconn, I wonder what will happen to the BY.
1573574122878.png

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The worst part about watching all of the turnovers was that with about two minutes left Landers says, “But you’re impressed with Tennessee’s discipline late in the game...they’ve been under control.” I couldn’t believe that someone watching the same game could make that comment, so I tortured myself through rewatching their last few offensive possessions. It was six consecutive possessions that they turned it over until Davis hit a floater, the basket which prompted him to make that genius comment. And even worse was Lobo supporting him by suggesting their discipline was a sign of growth since their first game. I’m still shocked, more so at the announcers’ incompetence than the actual turnovers.
I am genuinely of the belief that a handful of Boneyard regulars would provide more thoughtful (and attentive) color commentary than the folks they have on TV, and I am 100% confident we provide a better Top 25 (thank you @Plebe) than the AP folks do. It's honestly why I come here and read thread recaps of games first, then read the ESPN/AP pool recap, even for (and often especially for) non-UConn games. So thank you all for your passion and expertise, and could one of you replace Andy Landers like right now?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The past two or three years Tennessee has started off with a very good record, sometimes undefeated. Then, they start playing better teams and start losing. They may not lose to some of the weaker SEC teams but it remains to be seen if they will continue to consistently play winning basketball. Also, Davis has had a number of outstanding games and then disappeared for a few games. They need her to play like she did last night on a regular basis. They won't go far in the Tournament with one player doing most of the scoring. (See Ohio State and Texas A&M in recent years)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Why not?

I assume you are asking a serious question and will answer as such.

In the old days, everything Woman's BB was on one board or sub-board
And some old-timers like myself much prefered it that way.

I have no ties to the University; couldn't care less about the football team or (especially these days) men's BB...although there was a time, I must admit.

My interest is solely in beautiful basketball regardless of sexual persuasion...and I find myself mightily attracted to Geno's approach, very much the style of how I learned to play schoolyard BB in the late 40's and 50's...the BB of Cousy's Celtics and the Knicks of the early 70's. And so I follow the Husky's...not as long as some, but for a while now.

I'd prefer to be permitted to discuss these matters on one board...other woman's games of interest and the details of any contest in real time but these matters have been prohibited by the proprietor.
He is in a position to promulgate any directive he desires. I have no complaint with that.

But there is no reason that I must follow his directives and I choose not to.
I'd like to comment on games in real time, (feel I have something to offer in that regard)... but not enough to switch boards to do it

With regard the UTenn game above, I obviously forgot. Seems like the thead has been permitted...I have no idea what that means.

I hope that answers your question in a satisfactory fashion.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
People will retroactively be less impressed by this when they realize how monumentally screwed ND is this year.
Eh, I've heard this sob story before. First of all, just getting Vaughn back will be a MAJOR boost to ND. She may be as important to ND as Olivia is to UConn. If she'd been in this game, there's no way ND gets out-rebounded by 35.

Secondly, there's such a thing as getting better over the course of a long season. ND may not end up a Final Four team, but there's no way they'll look as bad in February and March as they do now.

Reaction Score
Tennessee played with more purpose and energy than in any of the games I've seen in recent years. And their shot-blocking was impressive. They should certainly be in the top 25.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom