Wowsa: Tennessee taking it to Notre Dame | The Boneyard

Wowsa: Tennessee taking it to Notre Dame

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
54-37 halfway through the 3rd
Where are you guys? Asleep at the switch?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Yes. That thread on that game is on the General Women's Basketball Board.

Reaction Score
Sadly the thread is on the "General Basketball" forum. I almost never go over there but it's what people wanted. I much prefer to see interesting stuff like that on this board.
Is it really that hard to just click over to the general basketball forum? I mean you have to do the same if you want to read the men's basketball or football forum.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s gonna be a long year for the Irish. With Vaughn & Prohaska out, ND has no depth, no size and no experience. Beyond that, this is one ugly basketball game. ND & TN have a combined 35 turnovers and counting with 6 minutes left.

Reaction Score
I just watched the game and it was sort of a mess all around. Neither team looked like they had a plan, just reacting to chaos. I feel really guilty enjoying the ND struggles. Poor Marta. She was trying so hard to create some offense but no one was moving or paying attention. Marta's 3pt challenge has followed her. She needs that shot to be a scoring threat to keep defenses honest.

Reaction Score
ND will lose several games this year. Both teams had slow ball movement. TN has length but not really good offensive sets. UConn will beat both handily.

To be fair Kellie has mentioned a few times how few offensive sets they've put in so far and will be adding more to the offense as the season goes. 6 newcomers and only really three returning players that saw significant minutes last year and she wanted to get the defense up to speed first. We also lost Zaay Green to an ACL injury and she handled about 60% of the point guard duties in the first two games with Davis and Horston spending more time on the wings.

Hopefully offense will be more refined with time and less predictable. Her Missouri State teams were always above average in offensive efficiency with far less talent so I'm hopeful for a much more watchable offense compared to years past.

The defense is better than expected at this point but height covers a lot of mistakes.

Tennessee has a long way to go and so does ND. So much change coming into this year for both programs.

Reaction Score
Tenn is big and athletic. I can't remember when I last saw a team commit 28 turnovers, 3 more than
baskets made and win a game by 11 points. This could be an interesting team with their new coach.

We should be hearing from Margo soon.

Reaction Score
The worst part about watching all of the turnovers was that with about two minutes left Landers says, “But you’re impressed with Tennessee’s discipline late in the game...they’ve been under control.” I couldn’t believe that someone watching the same game could make that comment, so I tortured myself through rewatching their last few offensive possessions. It was six consecutive possessions that they turned it over until Davis hit a floater, the basket which prompted him to make that genius comment. And even worse was Lobo supporting him by suggesting their discipline was a sign of growth since their first game. I’m still shocked, more so at the announcers’ incompetence than the actual turnovers.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
28 TOs for Tennessee, and they still win. No bench help for Muffet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
TN's turnovers were not really forced but were more the result of sky high confidence by TN just feeling they could do anything on the court against a depleted and small team. When they controlled themselves, they looked competent for long stretches. The had 18 assists on 25 baskets, Their 3's were a function of good passing out of the paint. I think they are a Sweet 16 team and if Horston gets a bit more under control, E8.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I gave eeb a like (above)
Wouldn't go as far as him in excusing UTenn's TO's.
But surely the team was much better prepared to play then anything I saw during the Holly era.
They'll surely be more competitive and (gulp) competent.

Reaction Score
Tennessee won't be an easy out when UConn plays them. Their size and depth will be a problem.

A few weeks ago, most people here think Uconn will trash Tennessee in January. Now if Tennessee beats Uconn, I wonder what will happen to the BY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom