Wow...that was a kick in the nuts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wow...that was a kick in the nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No quarrel with the effort today, but while they missed their best guard we missed a 10 point a game guy too. Hoping for just a rolled ankle for Boat.

Reaction Score
He played more than be would if Purvis is healthy.

Brimah was terrible too. He can't finish in traffic, rarely gets a big rebound it seems and unless he gets a lob he virtually can't score. Going into the year I thought the front court would be solid. Other than some moments from Facey it's a real disappointment and weakness.

I thought Facey had a great game. Competed hard against Texas' bigs and pulled down some tough boards. That's exactly what we need him to do. Lubin on there other hand has a lot of work to do. It's great that he's built like a bull, but he lacks athleticism (specifically a vert.), height, and most importantly wingspan. Adrien was undersized at the 4, but his wingspan allowed him to grab tons of rebounds.

Reaction Score
Giddyup5 said:
What makes you think he has a good stroke? Reality is he is a career 33% 3 point shooter....no reason to believe he's gonna get better overnight...maybe in a year or 2... He and TSam are roleplayers that should play 10 min a game max...we need Purvis and pray that Omar is an upgrade

He has a good stroke. He doesn't have some sort of funny form or flawed release. He fades away a bit like the old man but I think he can shoot the ball and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't come around. Omar has a funny shot, I don't know if he can ever be counted on consistently as shooter and TSam can't shoot it at all.

If Cassell and Boat can't start making shots, this is going to be a rough year. I strongly disagree with pulling the plug on Cassell. He got some decent looks, a couple of which he created by finding space on the floor when no one else could. I understand people are frustrated but looking at our personnel, we need him playing and shooting or we are going to become a team where everyone stands around watching Boat.

H

huskymagic

Honestly I would rather watch Nnamdi Amilo than Cassell Jr taking 3 point shots right about now. His decision making for his age is abysmal the last 4 minutes of the game we all got that feeling with Cassell missing shot after shot and turnover after turnover that Texas might steal the game.

The ball should only be in the hands of Boatright, Hamilton, and Facey. Everyone else needs to do the dirty work and feed the ball to the above mentioned players. We don;t need everybody to score we have 2 or 3 players that can score and that's enough. Everybody else needs to know their role especially Cassell who shoots like he's Kobe out there. KO needs to make it clear to guys that their role is to defend, play hard, rebound, block shots, get loose balls, and feed the ball to Boatright and Hamilton to make their moves.

Reaction Score
BoatShow said:
Watching Cassell Jr piss the game away taking awful shots. I'm just watching thinking "do you really think that shot has a chance?"
Awful shots? He took a 3 with 2 seconds on the shot clock, he took three dribbles into the lane for an open 8 footer that front rimmed when everyone else was struggling to get open. Some of you guys need to understand, nobody on this team is a great offensive player. Cassell is one of our better players on that end. You better start hoping his shots fall because Ben Gordon isn't walking through that door. If he sits I'm not sure who you are putting in the game. I agree Hamilton needs more shots but he was D'd up. He had no room to create. He wasn't even looking to.

Reaction Score
When's Omar Calhoun going to suit up? I'm getting really sick of hearing that he might be a go and then him getting scrapped because he's not 100%. After the below average season he had last season and him not playing a single minute in our first five games, I'm already ready to give up on him. Not to mention whatever he got suspended for down in Puerto Rico. I mean he wasn't going to play against West Virginia anyway but now he's dragging Lubin and a couple of walk-ons into bad situations I mean give me a break! Suit up and play, this is getting absolutely ridiculous at this point!

H

huskymagic

When's Omar Calhoun going to suit up? I'm getting really sick of hearing that he might be a go and then him getting scrapped because he's not 100%. After the below average season he had last season and him not playing a single minute in our first five games, I'm already ready to give up on him. Not to mention whatever he got suspended for down in Puerto Rico. I mean he wasn't going to play against West Virginia anyway but now he's dragging Lubin and a couple of walk-ons into bad situations I mean give me a break! Suit up and play, this is getting absolutely ridiculous at this point!

pretty much spot on with assessment of Omar. I don't expect anything from Omar but he is a slightly better overall player than Cassell is due to his height and athleticism. His shot and decision making is similar to Cassell's. Hopefully Purvis can be ready to contribute ASAP and can work on that jumper. Honestly this team is fine with Boatright and Hamilton being the primary scorers on the team. Everybody else needs to know their role which is to play hard, defend, and feed the ball to Boat and Hamilton along with Facey.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It looked to me like he had his toe on the line when he took that shot.

Reaction Score
The thing about posts like this is that you wouldn't be saying any of that if that shot had rimmed out. Tough result, but the narrative completely changes because of it, a lot of times unfairly.
This is actually a brilliant post that should get pinned. If the shot rimmed out, there are 4 threads about what a great, gritty team this is and how, once Purv and Omar get back, we're a final 8 team, and isn't Hamilton just coming along, and SC2 was bad, but he'll be a good backup.

Reaction Score
Omar . . . is a slightly better overall player than Cassell is due to his height and athleticism.
No. Please don't do that. Given that Cassell can't hit a bull in the ass with a shovel at this point, Omar would be a significant upgrade. Omar can board and play better D than Cassell, and is just as competent at bricklaying, with the caveat that he has shown potential to be an excellent shooter. Cassell has a better handle, but what good is a handle when you can't do much with it?

H

huskymagic

No. Please don't do that. Given that Cassell can't hit a bull in the ass with a shovel at this point, Omar would be a significant upgrade. Omar can board and play better D than Cassell, and is just as competent at bricklaying, with the caveat that he has shown potential to be an excellent shooter. Cassell has a better handle, but what good is a handle when you can't do much with it?

Cheeky I agree with you that Omar is an upgrade to Cassell due to his athleticism which allows him to at least play solid defense, rebound and lead a break. His shot and decision making aren't good but he should be higher on the depth chart than Cassell Jr when he returns. Cassell for me should be at the end of the bench for his abysmal decision making and shot not making thinking he is Napier out there. That is his problem he thinks he is better than what he is and does not know his limitations.

Reaction Score
Cassell is a average ball player that should have limited role on this team if its going to succeed.

Not sure about that - he makes 2 of those 3's and this isn't even posted. He didn't make shots, he has to no doubt. But Samuel killed us in the 1st half and also missed on a big defensive play - so why not single him out?

Reaction Score

According to what? His 20% shooting last year? C'mon let's not throw this on Cassell. He does need to hit shots but he did not take one bad shot, others did!

Reaction Score
According to what? His 20% shooting last year? C'mon let's not throw this on Cassell. He does need to hit shots but he did not take one bad shot, others did!

You don't think that 26 footer he took in the first half that clanged off the backboard was a bad shot?

H

huskymagic

Not sure about that - he makes 2 of those 3's and this isn't even posted. He didn't make shots, he has to no doubt. But Samuel killed us in the 1st half and also missed on a big defensive play - so why not single him out?

mauconn again with the T-Sam bashing. T-Sam can affect the game other than scoring which he did for us in the second half with defense including the second to last Texas possession where he caused Javan Felix to throw the ball away and gave UCONN the ball. Cassell Jr along with KO take the blame for this loss. Cassell is not a kid he's a 22 years old man and his play has been atrocious to say the least so far. If he can't make wide open perimeter shots and also turn the ball over he should not play a single minute because he cannot do anything else. He has no athleticism, no speed, can't defend well and apparently no jumper against D-1 opponents what does that tell you.

Reaction Score
You don't think that 26 footer he took in the first half that clanged off the backboard was a bad shot?

One! name the other......again just thinking about last years Omar vs Sam jr. He hasn't played yet this year so let's see what we get before we start asking for him. We need them both so feeling the need to hammer Sam Jr just isn't right, no one shot it well!!

Reaction Score
mauconn again with the T-Sam bashing. T-Sam can affect the game other than scoring which he did for us in the second half with defense including the second to last Texas possession where he caused Javan Felix to throw the ball away and gave UCONN the ball. Cassell Jr along with KO take the blame for this loss. Cassell is not a kid he's a 22 years old man and his play has been atrocious to say the least so far. If he can't make wide open perimeter shots and also turn the ball over he should not play a single minute because he cannot do anything else. He has no athleticism, no speed, can't defend well and apparently no jumper against D-1 opponents what does that tell you.

magic watch the game please. Sam played real good after tiebreak, was atrocious in the first half. And as good as he played in the 2nd half his fast reaction to go guard Felix who went by him was not good D at all. He was faking to pull the ball out and TSam should have let him instead he got by for a runner. Should have given him space and let him pull back instead he went for the fake and Brimah was alone to guard him. You want to point out one I will also - it was a huge play too. You are way off base - Sam Jr and Ollie? Get real pal you're lost. So much more to any one or 2 people you're just being the dope you can be!

Reaction Score
willyd24 said:

I hate everything about this post. It drips with the entitlement that is infuriating about some people in here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and have 3 questions
1) How close to a 2 was that last shot (I thought it was a 3 until the scoreboard told me it was a 2--then changed its mind. Weirdest ending ever.
2) It sure looked like a goaltend on Boat's drive to the hoop with about 1 minute left. Was it?
3) How many minutes did we go w/o a basket to end the game (My God!)

I was amazed at how bad a ball handler Sam Jr. was.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and have 3 questions
1) How close to a 2 was that last shot (I thought it was a 3 until the scoreboard told me it was a 2--then changed its mind. Weirdest ending ever.
2) It sure looked like a goaltend on Boat's drive to the hoop with about 1 minute left. Was it?
3) How many minutes did we go w/o a basket to end the game (My God!)

I was amazed at how bad a ball handler Sam Jr. was.

1) He was behind it fairly easily

2) No goaltend timing was good

3) almost 7 I believe

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Well. that is the deal. Can't go 7 minutes w/o a basket. Nice to know we weren't screwed at the end. Thanks Mau.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Played hard, solid defense, and rebounded well against a team with solid bigs. Had good looks too, just didn't hit them. As the season progresses, those will start going down.

Not worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99